“One Problem After Another” 1 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   6900 Great Bay, 00802, St. Thomas   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
Chicago
“One Problem After Another”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2006

My wife and I stayed at this property for 5 nights in Dec. Have stayed in many luxury hotels and this was the worst. Never stayed at a Ritz, but other guests said this was not "normal" for a Ritz. Rooms are big and nicely appointed. Shower was a tub combo, but marble tiles were coming off. Walls are very thin and we were awoken very early one morning to room attendants laughing and talking very loud outside our room. When a toilet flushed in other rooms water pipes made loud noises through the walls. Thank goodness I had earplugs! Service very slow at restaurants & beach. Buffet just so-so for $25. The manager offered us 2 free nights at any Ritz, but getting the vouchers was a nightmare. Spent $60 in long distance calls to the hotel to get them mailed. It is a terribly run hotel. The time shares next door are much newer & nicer and the staff is supposedly better. Parts of St. Thomas are nice, but generally a very poor island.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2006

We stayed at the Ritz June 21st through the 28th, and I must tell you; I've been ready to book another trip back as soon as we returned home. The staff is wonderful, we were greeted warmly from the moment our taxi reached the property. I honestly cannot think of a time we did not encounter a kind Ritz employee, always receiving a warm "hello" or "good morning" and always a "my pleasure" whenever we had any request. The concierge sent up two large complimentary plates of fruit and cheeses, along with a bottle of their signature wine and a box of water crackers. A card also accompanied this surprise, welcoming us to the resort. The Ritz-Carlton is very thoughtful, that can't be denied.

The resort grounds are breathtaking, the gardens are phenomenal and the beach is well cared for. There are many steps on the property, which was great for us- we're young and love to exercise, but I can see it being a problem for the elderly. The Infinite pool, while often busy, was really pretty and a nice way to cool off mid-afternoon. The spa facility is very nice, my manicurist/pedicurist was wonderful. My nails looked great. The spa's gift shop has a great assortment of items, just as the gift shops in the main palazzo. The restaurants were all good, Coconut Cove was espcially great for breakfast- the omelettes were amazing. Unfortunately, the Great Bay Grill was under remodeling when we were there.

The room actually exceeded our expectations, it was beautiful. Marble floors, very pretty decor, mahogany furniture.. everything was in great condition. I was especially impressed by the bathroom's decor, it had great ambiance.. although I wish the tub had been a Jacuuzi. Oh well. The patio overlooking the bay offered phenomenal views. As a side note: request a featherbed and a lightweight down comforter.. I had such great sleep (even in the summer, the down wasn't too heavy- the air conditioning was on 66 every night!)

Overall, we had a fantastic trip and I would return in a heartbeat.

One last note; I was skeptical before arriving to the Ritz because of some of the bad reviews I read on here. I was pleasantly surprised to know that none of those bad reviews were true, we had a great experience. Just expect to pay a lot for the food and any gifts you may purchase at the resort- you ARE at a Ritz-Carlton. Anyone who complains about the prices (like the poster below) obviously should not have chosen to to go to a Ritz, where prices are known to be high. Also, construction was going on during our stay, but it never really disturbed us during our time there. They were working on the building to the far right, which was far away to not have an affect on us.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Long drive into town, we only went into Charlotte Amalie once because of the long drive.
  • Tips/Secrets — Definitely choose this resort if you are considering going to USVI, or anywhere in the Caribbean, for that matter.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2006

My Husband & I visited St. Thomas for a wedding. When we landed in St. Thomas everything was beautiful. When we got to the hotel, the rum punch was good. Check-in was great, the lady who checked us in was very nice & helpful. But after that, it was downhill from there. We checked in our room which was nice but not a lot of privacy for the bathroom. Okay not that bad......so as we waited for the wedding party we got something to eat...big mistake. Very expensive for 6 chicken wings ($18.00) & we are not going to talk about the drinks. So as the evening winded down we found ourselves a little bored, there was nothing to do no nightclubs, no bar not anything. We did however go into town to a restaurant that wasn't all that good. The cab rides are very expensive. the people of St. Thomas are not that friendly or helpful. Very rude at the airport. The only really nice thing was the wedding. My husband & I and alot of people we traveld with were very disappointed with St.Thomas & would not visit again.

• Stayed May 2006
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2006

We stayed at the hotel from July 1st till the 4th. I did know the Hotel was under some construction. They actually called to tell me to make sure it was going to be okay during our stay. I must admit I was nervous.....after much consideration we decided to stay there even with the construction.
In usual Ritz Carlton style....it was not a problem. The Hotel is still beautiful..... the renovations will only make it better! We've stayed there since the early 90's when the Hotel opened and it is still as great as when it first opened.

You would have to ago a long way to get a better view as you are checking in at the main desk!

• Stayed July 2006
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2006

Reading some of the reviews, I was a bit worried about our vacation to St. Thomas where we booked 5 nights at the Ritz Carlton. The second we drove up I knew the bad reviews were not accurate. The door was opened, our bags were taken and were escorted to the front desk and given a rum drink, then escorted to our room. Everyone working at the resort was more than friendly, very helpful and every request was answered with "my pleasure". I found it impossible, to see what they other guests called bad service. We were treated wonderfully as we have been treated at other Ritz Carlton's. The resort is spread out, but not to the extent that I had anticipated reading some of the reviews. Walking a little was a pleasure in this lovely resort and if you didn't want to walk, there were always someone there to give you a ride.
The rooms were very pretty, marble floors, nice furnishings and very clean. We reserved a resort view room and our view was of the resort grounds, the pool and the beautiful bay, and St. John's. Better than I expected.
The restaurants were good, a little pricey, but you wouldn't expect to get a cheap meal at the Ritz, would you? All the food on the island was somewhat more expensive. We did not eat at the fine dining restaurant.
I did not use the spa on this trip, but my husband used the sauna and fitness room, and he thought both were great.
The resort fee is worth the money, especially if you use all of the water equipment, which we did.
Over all, it was a great vacation with great service. It is by far the nicest place to stay on the island. St. John was absolutely beautiful, and I would go back. I did not care for Tortola BVI at all. Just my opinion.
I hope this helps.

Stayed June 2006
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2006

If you're used to the extreme comfort of a typical Ritz, this IS NOT the place to stay. I can't figure this Ritz out... for months I tried to book a Club level room. They claim one day it's there and the next not. Apparently there's club service to the resident suites but NOT the hotel guests.

The property is so far out from town that club service is needed. The food was below standard, one onsite restaurant near the hotel is fair if that, the bar food is equally awful.

Overall this is a three star resort.... especially to anyone who is familiar with the quality and service from a real Ritz Carlton.

The current remodeling project can't fix the problems here, I suggest booking in a better quality resort.

• Stayed June 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2006

We stay at Ritz hotels simply because you always know what to expect; great service, quality, nice rooms and a fantastic restaurant. This resort was not or should I say, no where near the quality of a Ritz. What a huge disappointment. The rooms smelled terrible, like a musty old cellar. The beds were terrible, not the quality Ritz beds and the pillow were a joke.....they were 1/2 pillows. The food was average at best. Beware, if you order food poolside, the igananas will come a running! The Ritz staff greeted you when they saw you, however if you requested anything, it seemed to be a chore/annoyance. Also be prepared to walk up 4 flights of step ever time you want to go to the main building........I understand they are in the process of renovating the hotel and not a minute too soon. We were supposed to be in one of the newer buildings, newly painted. Boy did we get a laugh out of that, the ceiling had patches of paint on it......Ritz quality? I don't think so!

• Stayed June 2006

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas? Share your experiences!