“Would NEVER stay at the Ritz or visit St.Thomas again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas

Special Offer
$100 Resort Credit & More
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
A TripAdvisor Member
“Would NEVER stay at the Ritz or visit St.Thomas again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2006

My Husband & I visited St. Thomas for a wedding. When we landed in St. Thomas everything was beautiful. When we got to the hotel, the rum punch was good. Check-in was great, the lady who checked us in was very nice & helpful. But after that, it was downhill from there. We checked in our room which was nice but not a lot of privacy for the bathroom. Okay not that bad......so as we waited for the wedding party we got something to eat...big mistake. Very expensive for 6 chicken wings ($18.00) & we are not going to talk about the drinks. So as the evening winded down we found ourselves a little bored, there was nothing to do no nightclubs, no bar not anything. We did however go into town to a restaurant that wasn't all that good. The cab rides are very expensive. the people of St. Thomas are not that friendly or helpful. Very rude at the airport. The only really nice thing was the wedding. My husband & I and alot of people we traveld with were very disappointed with St.Thomas & would not visit again.

• Stayed May 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2006

We stayed at the hotel from July 1st till the 4th. I did know the Hotel was under some construction. They actually called to tell me to make sure it was going to be okay during our stay. I must admit I was nervous.....after much consideration we decided to stay there even with the construction.
In usual Ritz Carlton style....it was not a problem. The Hotel is still beautiful..... the renovations will only make it better! We've stayed there since the early 90's when the Hotel opened and it is still as great as when it first opened.

You would have to ago a long way to get a better view as you are checking in at the main desk!

• Stayed July 2006
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2006

Reading some of the reviews, I was a bit worried about our vacation to St. Thomas where we booked 5 nights at the Ritz Carlton. The second we drove up I knew the bad reviews were not accurate. The door was opened, our bags were taken and were escorted to the front desk and given a rum drink, then escorted to our room. Everyone working at the resort was more than friendly, very helpful and every request was answered with "my pleasure". I found it impossible, to see what they other guests called bad service. We were treated wonderfully as we have been treated at other Ritz Carlton's. The resort is spread out, but not to the extent that I had anticipated reading some of the reviews. Walking a little was a pleasure in this lovely resort and if you didn't want to walk, there were always someone there to give you a ride.
The rooms were very pretty, marble floors, nice furnishings and very clean. We reserved a resort view room and our view was of the resort grounds, the pool and the beautiful bay, and St. John's. Better than I expected.
The restaurants were good, a little pricey, but you wouldn't expect to get a cheap meal at the Ritz, would you? All the food on the island was somewhat more expensive. We did not eat at the fine dining restaurant.
I did not use the spa on this trip, but my husband used the sauna and fitness room, and he thought both were great.
The resort fee is worth the money, especially if you use all of the water equipment, which we did.
Over all, it was a great vacation with great service. It is by far the nicest place to stay on the island. St. John was absolutely beautiful, and I would go back. I did not care for Tortola BVI at all. Just my opinion.
I hope this helps.

Stayed June 2006
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2006

If you're used to the extreme comfort of a typical Ritz, this IS NOT the place to stay. I can't figure this Ritz out... for months I tried to book a Club level room. They claim one day it's there and the next not. Apparently there's club service to the resident suites but NOT the hotel guests.

The property is so far out from town that club service is needed. The food was below standard, one onsite restaurant near the hotel is fair if that, the bar food is equally awful.

Overall this is a three star resort.... especially to anyone who is familiar with the quality and service from a real Ritz Carlton.

The current remodeling project can't fix the problems here, I suggest booking in a better quality resort.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2006

We stay at Ritz hotels simply because you always know what to expect; great service, quality, nice rooms and a fantastic restaurant. This resort was not or should I say, no where near the quality of a Ritz. What a huge disappointment. The rooms smelled terrible, like a musty old cellar. The beds were terrible, not the quality Ritz beds and the pillow were a joke.....they were 1/2 pillows. The food was average at best. Beware, if you order food poolside, the igananas will come a running! The Ritz staff greeted you when they saw you, however if you requested anything, it seemed to be a chore/annoyance. Also be prepared to walk up 4 flights of step ever time you want to go to the main building........I understand they are in the process of renovating the hotel and not a minute too soon. We were supposed to be in one of the newer buildings, newly painted. Boy did we get a laugh out of that, the ceiling had patches of paint on it......Ritz quality? I don't think so!

Sewell, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2006

Just returned from staying 4 nights at the Ritz after staying 3 nights at Caneel Bay in St. John and we loved it. The infinity pool that overlooks the ocean is awesome. Waiters coming around frequently with drink and food menus. Rafts to float around in the pool and ocean. The service was fantastic, every worker that walked past us stopped to say hi and see how we were doing. The ones that we saw a few times even remembered previous converstations, I was very impressed. The rooms were beautiful, housekeeping came in twice a day. The only negative aspect I could say is that the walls were pretty thin. We could hear the people above us as well as next to us at times and at Caneel Bay you couldn't hear a thing from above or next door. The food was great, pricy, but no matter where you go you are looking at about the same prices. Ritz is undergoing a major renovation and will be closed for a few months, I think starting in August, I am looking forward to going back to see how they are able to make it better than it is now.

NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2006

This has to be one of the worst Ritz Carlton's I have EVER gone to. The property is pretty, the beach is nice (although a bit shelly), and the rooms are decent. However the service is HORRIBLE and the food HORENDOUS. The people who work at this resort are rude and inconsiderate. They appear to hate their jobs and hate life in general. We had to make multiple requests for things & they forgot to officially book our spa appointments. I had to call three times to get someone to help me with my bags. No one ever showed up, so my husband had to go find someone. The rooms are pretty far from the main building and although they offer complimentary rides to the main building no one ever shows up to pick you up and if they do, they are extremely rude. The food was horrible in all the restaurants. I'm still wondering how this hotel could have a 5 star rating. This was the type of food and service I would expect from a Holiday Inn. Actually I have eaten better at Holiday Inn's.

• Stayed May 2006

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas? Share your experiences!