“Loved the Ritz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

$100 Resort Credit & More
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
“Loved the Ritz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2004

The Ritz is wonderful.......... you will not be disappointed .......... we are very picky travelers and enjoyed every part of our visits ....... a few things to be aware of - everything in St. Thomas closes at 5:00, so there isn't alot to do after that time, but enjoy the view ..... the rooms are fairly small, but very nice & very clean ...... everyone is very friendly & helpful and you always receive a "my pleasure" with a smile ....... food is good, but pricey ........ The Cafe has a wonderful view and has really good nightly "Station" buffets ......... excellent views .......We purchased the basic room on Orbitz for $199 per night and I called ahead and requested an upgrade to a oceanfront room and it was already taken care of as soon as we arrived at no charge ......... Make sure to request the new buildings - I heard they are much better ....... there is also a $20 daily charge per room as a Resort fee, so be aware before you go that you will be charged this (it includes local calls, parking & beach activities & was worth it for us) ........ We had a great time & really enjoyed our stay ..... The Lady Lynsey was well worth the money over to St. John - they are wonderful - don't hesitate to splurge on this - you won't regret it ........ Have a great time ......... :o)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2004

Do not hesitate to go here despite what you may read here or elsewhere. Perfect for adults, couples, etc. Although, I did not have kids on the trip - it did not seem like a place I would have enjoyed as a child and there were not many around. Excellent rooms, views, and service. The staff used one of my favorite phrases when you asked for/needed anything, "My Pleasure!" Keep in mind it is the Ritz and it is St Thomas so expect appropriate pricing on food and drinks - but it is so worth it and not too overpriced - as others have commented. If you feel like it take a taxi to K-Mart and buy refreshments and snacks. Best nearby restaurants - Blue Moon, Randy's Bistro, Off the Hook (in that order). Call Old Suzee for a taxi ride - he is the best. Tell Don at the bech bar we all said hi (even though he is a Gator fan). Go and enjoy!! We will be back.

Bellevue, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2004

I don't know what people are talking about but this was an awesome resort. My wife and I went on our honeymoon in September and it was GREAT. Maybe becuase it was off season, or "Hurricane" season no one was there. But the service was awesome the food was good too.

Some people said the service was slow but it was excellent for us. A little pricey but hey we only live once and pretty much everything was delicous. You can get full off the appetizers. There is a wide variety of specials include crepe night, and all you can eat fillet night for like 26.95 US. That was the best fillet I had.

They included free champagne and choclate covered strawberries on our first night, and they would walk around with fruit around the beach during the day.

Definitely stay in the suite. We saw the other rooms and they were pretty tiny.

Another note. We talked to a lot of other couples that stayed at other resorts including Caneel Bay and the Westin. THey all transferred to the Ritz saying the other places sucked. SO STAY at the RITZ!!

Haddonfield, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2004

My husband and I stayed at the St. Thomas Ritz last winter and were disappointed. We have stayed at many ritz carlton hotels and always loved our stay. However, this hotel was not up to standard.
First, since we booked through American express, we were entitled to a free contiental breakfast. The bakery basket was good, but the coffee was cold. Day two, I wanted to try a hot breakfast item, but sensing this may be a problem, I ordered a waffle plus my free bakery basket. As predicted, my waffle was cold. To make matters worse, they shorted me my bakery basket which was my back up breakfast. When I called room service to inquire about this, I was informed that they decided that I could not eat both.
Late one night, we did again try room service. We mentioned about the usually cold food, but again our food was delivered luke warm.
Next, the resorts living room restaurant had good food and wonderful servers. However the female manager was rude to us on two separate occasions. One time, as we were being seated at our window table, she actually stopped the hostess and had us bumped to a table with no view. We sat through a two hour meal, while several window tables sat empty. The next day at brunch, after another polite hostess told us it would be about 15 minutes until we could be seated, the same manger approached us to say since we did not have a reservation, she did not have a table. I should add that she said this in the rudest way possible. She actually seemed to enjoy turning us away. What was even more suprising was the fact that on this our third and final visit to the restaurant, most of the staff knew us by name, but this unprofessional manager never addressed us by name. She treated us as unwelcome faceless guests.
On the good side, the beach is beautiful and not crowded.

prosper, tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2004

As I rely on reviews on this website, I felt compelled to write one of my own on the Ritz St. Thomas. Visited with my husband and 6-year old daughter for 10 days over Thanksgiving in 2003. Booked a 1-bedroom suite at $600 per night-well worth the money. Very large bedroom, huge living room and dining room, huge closet, beautiful bathroom, separate shower and tub, decorated beautifully. Also a HUGE covered, furnished outdoor terrace overlooking the bay.

Although it was a hike to get to the beach, we did not mind as it was good exercise. The beach was lovely, meticulously kept, quiet, not too crowded, just enough (well-behaved) children to entertain our daughter. As the Ritz is located in a bay, the water was very calm and good for swimming and snorkeling. The Ritz does not allow non-guests to use their facilities, which keeps the cruise-ship crowds away! The service on the beach was good, the comfortable chairs were plentiful...all in all, VERY relaxing.

Food at the resort: yes, it was expensive, but everything in the Caribbean is expensive. We did not eat in the main dining room, but rather chose to confine our meals to lunch on the beach during the day, and dinner at the outside, casual restaurant at night. DO take advantage of the Lobster Buffet: at $70 pp all you can eat, it is a bargain! The lobster was great, and they kept it coming. We did venture into town for a few meals, but due to the very expensive cab rides, we saved no money by doing so.

My husband is a diver, and he found the dive shop on site to be a quality operation, and no more expensive than customary.

The Ritz Kids program is first rate. My husband and I went deep sea fishing one day, and our daughter stayed at RK for the entire day, and loved it. She wanted to go back again, although we only used the service that one day.

The only reason I did not rate the property at 5-star is: the water pressure in the bathrooms is TERRIBLE, and, several times, the water went off completely for 20-30 minutes right in the middle of our shower. If they could rectify that problem, they would have a first rate resort.

All in all, I would highly recommend this resort for families with pre-teen children. Our daughter was NEVER bored, and my husband and I actually felt like we were able to relax.

pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2004

i will start with the only two bright spots of this resort.
1. anglela in the ritz kids and allison , the manager who went beyond the call of duty to help us now to the bad
1. upon checkin , we were given 2 rooms in one of the unrenovated buildings, upon entering the room , the carpet was wet and the room smelled like a damp basement, we immediately declined this room and fought for another set of rooms. We were given new rooms in the begonia building and upon retiring for the evening we could hear a scraping sound from the ceiling. We then figured out since there was only tile and no carpet that whenever someone from above moved any
chairs you would hear the screeching sound. my wife called the front desk saying it was impossible to sleep. the next day we were upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite in the timeshare building and i will say this was my idea of a ritz carlton.

2. the people who worked in the restaurants were the rudest people i have ever dealt with. Breakfast in the cafe was basically a self service
event, just try to get your coffee refilled! For such expensive food, i at least expect good service. food at great bay grill was horrible,
there idea of prime angus steak would make a fast food restaurant look awesome. I would not recommend this resort to anyone unless you enjoy being treated like dirt!!!!!

• Stayed August 2004
Hudson Valley, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2004

We had recently booked a club level executive suite which is the "best" type of room at this resort and very expensive. Thus, we were extremely upset to encounter an overpowering musty/moldy smell upon entering the suite. We then noticed visible mold around the air conditioner vents and several areas on the walls (and I don't mean just a few dots here and there). There was also visible mold on the sofa, both chairs and on the curtains. This was obviously unacceptable to us and we called the front desk to complain. We had multiple staff come to the room and they acknowledged the problem. However, we were told all the rooms were sold out except for ONLY ONE other room they offered us which was not a suite and we could only have it for one night because it was booked and then we would have to be switched again. We wanted to check it out before agreeing and this room was very old, also very musty smelling (but cleaner), 1/2 the size of the suite and clear across the resort which made the club lounge very impractical (the club was a big reason we booked the resort). We decided to stick out the original suite for the one night because we didn't want to move our stuff twice for another substandard room and they assured us another club suite(they told us the exact room #) would be available the next day and they would adjust the bill. Well the next day we had confusion because the manager was off and the front desk people had no knowledge of the situation. We were told that the new suite number that we were supposed to have was still booked and nothing else was available. At this point we were ready to check out but after several more phone calls we were given another suite which was thankfully in excellent condition. Now for the good part. The resort is gorgeous and most of the staff were extremely pleasant and gracious. Our new room was wonderful and what we had originally expected. The marble bathroom is enormous. The balcony overlooks the water, is large and has 2 lounge chairs, a table with 4 chairs and still plenty of room to walk around. The water sports are excellent and the beach lovely. However, no staff helped us to set up beach chairs or umbrellas. The club amenities were great. We ate most of our meals there and there was always liquor, wine, champagne, etc. also. Be aware that if you book a club level room you might be in a different building than the club level lounge as we were. Evidently the adjacent Heliconia building also has club privileges but you have to walk to the next building for the club lounge. This was a surprise as the web site indicates all the rooms are in the one Gardenia building (but it wasn't a big deal). Also, the ambiance of the club lounge in the evening was spoiled by kids playing hide and seek and being rambunctious. Perhaps after 6 or 7 PM it should be adults only so one can relax with a quiet drink. Had we not had the MAJOR room problem, I would have given this resort 5 stars.

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas? Share your experiences!