“Beautiful Hotel With The Kindest Staff In The World!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
20% Savings On Room Rate
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Beautiful Hotel With The Kindest Staff In The World!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My husband and 4 of our best friends stayed at the St. Thomas Ritz Carlton on the night of May 24th before a sailing trip. I want to share how special this hotel is…

This hotel is stunningly beautiful. Our rooms were spotlessly clean, beautifully decorated and very comfortable. Perfect for a weekend getaway or for a week away.

We ate lunch and dinner at Sails by the pool – every afternoon fisherman come in with the catch of the day at 4pm for you to view – and then it is served at the restaurant that night. DELICIOUS! Especially the gigantic mahi mahi sandwiches we had. The entertainment during dinner was also excellent – a band with a singer.

We also had the breakfast buffet at Bleu Water and ate on a patio overlooking the ocean. True perfection.

This hotel is truly excellent but what really makes it is the lovely staff…absolutely the most warm and friendly staff I've ever encountered! One lady, I wish I got her name, gave me a little hug that made me feel wonderful. A small gesture that meant so much! We were met with smiles and greetings from every single person.

The cherry on the cake of our trip was the birthday chocolate mousse cake and champagne in our room to commemorate my husband’s birthday.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The Ritz Carlton went through a tough period this spring, when service slipped and the reviews on Trip Advisor were frightful! I almost decided to stay elsewhere, but first I wrote to Ritz General Manager Bernd Kuhlen and he promised the problems were fixed, so I took a shot and booked a four night stay. I am so glad I did!

The RITZ is Ritzier than ever! The property is in immaculate condition. The service staff is friendly and attentive. The views from almost every window are awe inspiring. If you can afford the very best, you will find it at The Ritz Carlton St. Thomas.

We checked in at the open air lobby and somehow front of the house manager Katrin Cymontkowski greeted us by name, even before I told her who I was. She arranged a rapid check-in and a bellman drove us in a golf cart to our room on the club level. Katrin, not only greeted me by name every time she saw me, she memorized my room number. Once when the bellmen were all busy, she grabbed a golf cart and drove us somewhere, herself, so we wouldn't have to wait! The incredible attention to detail makes guests feel special. Another front of house manager, Timothy Williams, learned we had brought supplies to donate to a local children's home. He volunteered to drive the supplies for us on his day off! This is Ritz service at its best.

This resort is built into the side of the mountain, so you will climb stairs and walk up and down hills to get to the pool, restaurants, spa, etc.. But don't worry, if you don't want to walk, just call for a golf cart. A bellman will cheerfully drive you everywhere. It's all part of that pricey $65 daily resort fee you pay. Take advantage of it.

The rooms in the Club Level were large, well air-conditioned, and overlooked the most spectacular azure blue bay in the Caribbean. I spent the first ten minutes just looking at the incredible vistas.

The bed was comfortable and the sheets were soft. Large screen TV, an espresso machine and a mini fridge provided most of the comforts of home. Lots of drawer and closet space too.

The bathrooms feature separate tub and shower, private toilet and double sinks. The towels are not as fluffy as I've had at other Ritz properties, but they are large and did the job! The Ritz also did not spare the Asprey of London toiletry products. They were replenished twice a day. The maids kept the room and bathroom spotless!

The infinity pool is wonderful. It seems like the pool blends right into the bay. There are rafts to float on (again no charge. It's covered in the $65 resort fee). The lounge chairs were nice and there were plenty to go around. Pool attendants gladly moved chairs, tables and umbrellas for us to make us as comfortable as possible. Waitresses offered poolside beverages. A pina colada cost $12. An Absolut and tonic was $10 to give you an idea of pricing. Viola was a great server who brought us water without us even asking for it!

Take advantage of the kayaking, sailing, paddle boarding and snorkeling. All included in the resort fee. The snorkeling, by the way, is excellent! If you use all this stuff, that $65 a day fee doesn't seem like much. But you have to use it! OH -- if you love swinging in a hammock beneath a shady tree, that's available as well.

RESTAURANTS: We ate at Bleuwater and Essenza on two evenings. In both cases the food was fantastic. Great steaks and fresh fish in Bleuwater. The service was not very good. We got a waiter who just didn't seem like he understood the Ritz concept of service. Essenza was a completely different story. The service was great. They gladly split dishes for us and the sous chef visited our table twice to check on us. Yummy calamari, fish, lasagna, and chicken dishes. They even gave us complimentary house made lemoncello with dessert.

SPA: Ritz prices and Ritz service! I pre-booked a massage for my wife in the cabana overlooking the ocean. When she arrived she learned the booker did not put her in the open air cabana, but rather a room in the spa. The massage was very good (and expensive - $180 with tip) but not the open air massage overlooking the beautiful blue sea. The manager apologized to my wife and comped her a second massage two days later in the seaside cabana. The masseuse even refused to accept a tip, saying the entire massage had to be complimentary.

RITZ CLUB: If you can afford the luxury (Our price was $800/night) I highly recommend the Ritz Club. Complimentary food and beverages served by cheerful attendants from 7:00 am to 10:00pm. One night, we arrived at 9:50 for dessert and drinks. They stayed open until 10:20 for us, so we would not feel rushed. The service was impeccable and it all starts with Club Lounge Manager Anna Maltseva. I cannot begin to tell you how many times she went out of her way to make guests happy. She even bumped into us at a restaurant off property and checked to make sure our meals were ok! What a wonderful woman she is! She will be a general manager of a hotel herself one day and a damned good one.

BOTTOM LINE: You can find problems at any place in the world to complain about (like the towels and the service at one restaurant here at the Ritz). BUT this resort is nothing short of spectacular. If you can afford the very best. . . The RITZ ST. THOMAS is the very best!

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for a golf cart if you are tired of walking. It's FREE!
  • Stayed June 2015, traveled with family
Huntsville, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We researched SO many Caribbean resorts, villas, crewed boat charters, etc. for our anniversary before deciding on two nights at the Ritz and five nights in St. John. We had very high hopes because of past Ritz experiences at other locations. (FYI, if I had it to do over, I would head straight to St. John from the airport and bypass St. Thomas altogether. The beach, food, etc. at the Ritz doesn't even come close in comparison to our experiences on St. John.)
After checking in, we were escorted to our room (via golf chart by Johnny) after being served a rum punch upon arrival. This was a nice touch, and appreciated after a long day of traveling. Johnny showed us all the amenities of the room and gave us a map of the resort, making sure we knew how to get around. He was very knowledgeable and answered all of our questions.
After arriving, we went straight down to the beach and I was disappointed to find that it was pretty rocky and not that great for swimming. Also, for most of the time we were there during our stay, the Lady Lyndsey took up a good portion of the beach. We ended up spending most of our time at the pool the next day. The pool was very nice, and the pool staff was also very friendly - offering to arrange our towels on our chairs and making sure we were OK throughout the day. The waitstaff taking drink orders, however, were not very friendly at all. I almost felt like I was inconveniencing them by ordering a drink.
We ate at Coconuts and Bleuwater for dinner during our stay and Sails for lunch. All of the food was just OK, which was a bummer because it was incredibly expensive. We paid $80 for a standard American breakfast and some pastries delivered to our room one morning, which seemed expensive even for the Ritz.
We were offered the club upgrade upon arrival for $400 total for our two-night stay. I wish we would have taken them up on this offer, and I can see why so many people recommend it. We spent at least double that between the two of us on food for just a two-night stay.
Also, there was a good mix of families with kids and couples. Personally, I don't think this resort really falls into the "romantic" category because of the various ages of kids running and splashing in the pool, eating in the restaurants at night, etc.
Our room was very comfortable with a large bathroom. We had a nice shower with rainhead and a separate bathtub, although I couldn't get the stopper to work long enough to take a bath. Also, there is almost no counter-space at the sink - a small thing, but still annoying.
Overall, a nice quick visit but I don't think we will be back.

Room Tip: Oceanfront with king bed
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

amazing weekend, amazing resort overall couldnt be more satisfied with the ritz carlton. Elegant at its finest the staff was very accomadating in all aspects all requests were met. The view was glorious the food was delicous. I will def return next year for a return vacation.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I am a Ritz Gold member and I absolutely can't say enough about the staff at the St Thomas Ritz. I would give it a 5 star, but I can't because of a situation which I'll explain later. First I will list all of the positives. It was our 21st anniversary trip. Check-in was great, and we were escorted via golf cart to our tower. The property is absolutely incredible. We stayed on the Club level with a balcony. The views are absolutely spectacular. I can't say enough about it. The room was roomy, and all of the amenities were amazing. The decor was flawless and the room was perfect. The balcony was huge with amazing patio furniture.

Club level: The club level was heaven on earth - literally. The rum bar? Are you kidding me? The food was spectacular too - from breakfast to appetizers the rest of the day. There was a full day of rain and we spent most of the day in the club level. It was fantastic because of the rum and the views are incredible. We missed breakfast upon checkin by 15 minutes, and the staff promptly brought back out some dishes that hadn't been put away yet. Are you kidding me? Incredible! We stayed for two days at the beginning and end of our trip to the VI's - and between then, they stored our extra bags for us! Are you kidding me, again?

The landscaping is nothing short of amazing. Flawless and gorgeous. The pool area is expansive and awesome...several different pools with wonderful views of the beach and ocean. Another example of excellent service was an incident that happened to our friend who was also staying there. He was on a paddleboard in the water and slipped, and his feet both landed on top of a patch of Sea Urchin! He ended up with over 300 sea urchin needles in his feet. He was in the worst pain of his life and the staff quickly responded. During this time, someone from the Ritz Carlton staff DROVE TO THE STORE to get him Epsom Salts and Vinegar, and brought it to our room so he could soak his feet in it! Are you kidding me, again? Amazing!

Now to the only negative. There was a business convention going on, and there was a party for it going on in the room above us (That we were paying $1,000/night for!). It was incredibly loud both above us and coming in through the balcony. I mean, LOUD and it was 2am. I called the front desk and it took about 30 minutes for anything to quiet down, which at that time was only about 30 more minutes until they picked back up again. 4am the party was still going on and they were super drunk. I had to call the front desk 3 times to complain about the partiers, but it just felt like they were able to do whatever they wanted since they were there for a convention. When paying $1,000 a night and traveling for your anniversary vacation, you want peace and sleep! There was none of it for two particular evenings we stayed while this convention was going on.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay at this incredible property again, but I would ask in advance if there was a convention going on because I would NOT stay there if there was. It really ruined the peace of our vacation and made sleep difficult.

I've been to the Virgin Islands twice now and can't wait to return this fall.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
STTRZGM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Jana F,

First of all, I want to thank you for being a loyal Ritz-Carlton guest, and thank you for your fabulous review of your time here at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas! I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed our Club Lounge, rooms, landscaping, and most importantly, the service provided by our wonderful Ladies and Gentlemen who are truly the heart of our resort.

I’m so sorry to hear about the noise you experienced, but thank you for your account and feedback. We certainly do not prioritize any guests over others, and I will be in touch with the team so that we can avoid similar incidents for future guests.

Thank you again for sharing your experienced, and we’re certainly looking forward to welcoming you back to paradise!

Bernd Kuhlen
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

The resort was absolutely beautiful and very well maintained.Wonderful views and very nice rooms.The bellstaff service was on the spot every time you needed help.VERY helpful at all times.Only ate at the restaurants one time,average meal.Good taco bar on the beach for lunch by the wonderful pool.Tried to eat dinner
at Sails Saturday night but was told to come back 45 mins.later even though there were many empty tables and the bar had 2 people sitting in it.The hostess was very less than accommodating even snotty.Anyway we went next door and spent our money and a great meal!(I cant understand turning down money)The only other negative experience was at checkout and we were charged the 65.00 resort fee twice for every day. Better check your bill,seems a little shady to me.Overall a very nice trip.

Room Tip: Get a high room for great views
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
STTRZGM, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear john t,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our resort. I’m so happy to see that you enjoyed your time, and I’m always especially pleased to hear about our team, so I’ll certainly pass along your compliments to our incredible bellmen. Our “Sea to Sails” event on Tuesdays and Saturdays is quite popular, and I apologize that you didn’t get to experience it, or worse, that you didn’t feel welcome. I will speak with the team about your experience so that we can be sure to avoid similar incidents in the future.

Thank you again for your kind words and feedback, and hopefully we’ll get to welcome you back to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas soon!

Ian McPhee
Director of Operations
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Amazing property, very tropical and relaxing. All amenities are top notch. Great large bathrooms with extra large showers and tubs. Patios are oversized. Amazing service especially at the pool area! Excellent drinks and food. You can also take advantage of the vacation club side of the property. Quick taxi to Red Hook

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas? Share your experiences!