“Great Destination” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York
“Great Destination”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

If you want a place where your family feels comfortable with young kids making some noise and want the luxury and comfort of the Ritz-Carlton brand, this is your spot. My family's stay at this hotel was wonderful. The hotel was well appointed. The staff was wonderful, hospitable and gracious and the pool was nice. By the second day, the staff generally knew our preferences.

We stayed pool side most of the time and our kids had a great time. It was not overly crowded or loud, although there was certainly a family vibe to the whole place. If you want a quiet secluded location with no families, this is not the place for you. Pool space was comfortable and service was very good.

The beach was nice but we did not spend much time there. It seemed a little rocky, but the water was clear and inviting.

We dined at Bleuwater in the evening and the food was very good, even the food off the kids' menu. The marinara sauce was actually one of the best sauces we have tasted! The breakfast buffet at Bleuwater was great, with a lot of options.

There are some complimentary kids' activities which we attended which were sufficiently entertaining.

Overall, a extremely good experience and great fun.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

From the moment we stepped foot on the Ritz-Carlton property to the moment we left for the airport, to say our experience was perfect would be an understatement. We had complimentary drinks given to us and when we go to our room (someone took our luggage and took it to our room for us) there was a bottle of complimentary champagne and chocolates waiting for us with a congratulations card because we were on our honeymoon.

I have stayed at a Ritz-Carlton before but this experience was far superior. We stayed on the club level and our room was cleaned twice per day and fresh ice for our champagne nightly. The club level is FOR SURE the way to go. You are able to essentially eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in there is you want to. My husband and I would eat breakfast there, come back for a lite lunch and then go back before dinner for cocktails (essentially an open bar) and then go back for dessert. They literally had it all! Aside from eating two nice meals out, we only ate at the club level. It was truly an unforgettable time. Everyone was so friendly, accommodating and very, very helpful. You get what you pay for most definitely! We wouldn't have had our honeymoon any other way!

Thank you thank you thank you St. Thomas Ritz-Carlton! We will FOR SURE be coming back soon!

-Evan from Florida, U.S.

Room Tip: Club Level!
middletown, nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

My husband and I just took our first kidless trip here from 4/19-4/23... There is not one bad thing I can possible come up with about our stay... The resort is amazing, the staff goes above and beyond and is always so friendly.
We stayed at the club level which is worth every penny.. They have presentations throughout the day which is enough food to fill you up all day and alcohol is available all day .. The women that work in the club lounge were wonderful and always there if you needed anything... An added bonus is the club concierge and they are able to help you with anything you need.
I've read reviews where people complained about the resort being too spread out or the beach not being big enough... Trust me it was never an issue... The resort is 100% easy to walk around, we never called for a ride and the beach was absolutely perfect..
I'm so happy we chose to spend our vacation here and will definetly be back.. No need to question staying here!

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
STTRZGM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear 1998hunter,

Thank you very much for your glowing review of our resort. It always makes me smile to read reviews like this one, and I’m so happy to see that you had a wonderful vacation with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Bernd Kuhlen
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We stayed at the Ritz in St. Thomas this week for our honeymoon, and we had an incredible time. From the minute we checked in and were offered some champagne, I knew we were going to be taken care of. I had called a few months earlier to let them know I was on my honeymoon and to request and upgrade or something nice in the room. To my surprise they had not only upgraded us, but had chocolates and a lovely bottle of champagne in the room for us! Our room was very nice, we had an oceanfront king. The only two things I would mention are that the walls are very thin, to the point where we could hear the neighbors talking, and the mosquitos were frequent on the patio. Otherwise the room was great.

The staff were all nothing but friendly as well. I especially want to mention Mario, who gave us suggestions on what to do, where to eat, etc.

We ate at a few of the hotel restaurants, including sails for the fresh catch of the day, and bluewater for breakfast and dinner. They were a bit on the pricey side but well worth it!!

My wife visited the spa twice and was very pleased with th facilities as well as her massages. Both Sherri and Rita did a great job and were very friendly!

Overall, it was an incredible trip and i cant thank the staff enough. We are already wanting to plan our trip back!!

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
STTRZGM, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear andrewjohnson90,

First of all, congratulations from all of us on your recent wedding! I’m so happy to hear that we could be your host for your honeymoon. Thank you very much for your comments about your stay, especially regarding our team. I’m so pleased that you felt their genuine care during this special time. I will be certain to pass along your compliments!

Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you and your new wife back soon!

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton for a few days this month. Overall, I think this is a great choice for St Thomas, but I have a few suggestions for travelers and the hotel.

The hotel is on the opposite side of the island from the airport so it can take 45-50 minutes to go about 11 miles.

This is an expensive place to stay. It is up there with some of the most expensive beach hotels I have ever stayed in. We upgraded to an ocean view, which was an extra $100 per night, but well worth it. If you can stay here on business, that would be the way to do it.

The hotel has incredibly nice staff. The restaurant staff was particularly friendly, not just nice, but truly friendly.

Our room was lovely. The bathroom was large- although I think more counter space instead of two huge sinks would have been better. The view from our balcony was beautiful. I would recommend staying away from the rooms next to the ice machine and staff closet ( Room 215 and anything above or below) as it can be noisy.

The restaurants are expensive. However, we went to a mediocre restaurant in Red Hook and it was expensive too. The breakfast buffet at the Ritz Carlton is $35 per person. We ate at the Italian restaurant one night. The half portions of pasta are small, but the salads and appetizers are generous. The bread and tapenade are good. It is nice to sit outside and eat on the patio. Not the best Italian, but not bad either.

While the hotel doesn't advertise it, guests can and should eat at Palazzo. This restaurant is located above the ownership units which are somewhat separated from the hotel. It has indoor and outdoor seating with views of the ocean.The owner of the restaurant made a point ot check in with us. The Tagine was very good, as was the grilled artichoke. The Pad Thai was a bit spicy for our tastes. Service was very good.

Guests should make it a point to go out on the Lady Lyndsey catamaran. We did the sunset sail and it was wonderful. The staff is great, the appetizers are quite good and so are the drinks. Since you can't see the sunset from the hotel due to the direction it faces, this is a great way to see the sunset. The guests on our sail were all very friendly and we got, and shared, some good tips about the area.

One of the biggest complaints I have about the hotel, is the pool and beach situation. There seemed to be too few chairs for the number of guests. Also, although I love little kids, most hotels of this caliber would have an adult pool. I was surpised at how many young children were at this hotel.

The rooms have Nespresso machines which is a nice touch if you like little cups of espresso. Personally, I think most people would prefer a Keurig or coffee maker.

We had a car during our visit. It was nice to have the car during the day, as the taxis are really open air trams and can be very crowded. Driving on the left isn't too bad, but driving at night is scary. If you stay at the Ritz Carlton, you can't really walk anywhere to shop or eat. On the positive side, the hotel is very close to the Red Hook ferry which takes you to St John. A day trip that is highly recommended.

Overall, I think this is a great choice on St Thomas if you don't mind the expense.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near the ice machine and staff supply closets. Get a beach view.
Dear travlinmom1429,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful review of your stay. I’m so happy that you had a wonderful vacation in St. Thomas! I want to especially thank you for your comments about our team of Ladies and Gentlemen. I agree when you say that they aren’t just nice, but truly go above and beyond to make all each guest’s stay exceptional.

Thank you also for mentioning your sunset sail on Lady Lynsey. We’re very proud to offer our guests sailing trips on this beautiful catamaran, and consider it an extension of Ritz-Carlton luxury on the water! As you mentioned, we are located on the east side of the island, very close to the ferry to St. John. I’m so pleased you had the opportunity to take a day trip to this beautiful neighboring island!

With regards to the pool and beach, we are a family friendly resort and welcome guests all ages. If you return, I'd invite you to take the short walk over to the Destination Club, which offers an adult pool and another beach for guests to enjoy.

Thank you again for your excellent comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I expect to pay for the best in room and resort accommodations when I stay at a Ritz, but why must they charge triple other places for everything else? And $65/day for a "resort fee" is just plain nonsense. I'm already paying to stay at a resort. Why are they separating this fee out other than to make their rooms appear to be more competitive?? As if we had a choice to not pay it! Turns out we never even used any of the facilities we were paying "extra" for.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to have ocean views.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
STTRZGM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Dave H,

Thank you for your review of our resort. I’m very pleased you enjoyed your experience with us, though I’m sorry you were disappointed with our resort fee. The daily fee includes use of all water sports equipment, parking, Internet, fitness classes and daily programs with Ambassadors of the Environment, additions which we feel really enhance the guest experience. It is truly not our intent to hide thisfee, but rather to provide our guests with a variety of amenities at their convenience.

Thank you again for the review and for choosing to stay with us. If you’re back in the Virgin Islands, we hope to welcome you to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas!

Bernd Kuhlen
Vero beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Staying at this hotel was a wonderful experience and the service was excellent! The only thing that was annoying during this trip was the fact that there was screaming kids and people throwing balls across the pool all day long. If the resort had a quiet pool or an adult pool all of this would be resolved. The food was good, but not amazing. Overall, the service was amazing as well as the attitudes of the employees. If your coming to Saint Thomas, come here because it was a great trip! We will definetely be back here again in the future!

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
STTRZGM, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Kathleenjasmin,

Thank you very much for your excellent review of our resort, especially you compliments about our service! However, I’m sorry that you felt our pool was too loud. We welcome everyone to our resort, which oftentimes includes families of all ages. Fortunately, our guests are welcome to use the adults-only pool over at The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, just a short walk from the main resort.

Thank you again for your review, and we’re looking forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Director of Operations

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas? Share your experiences!