We stayed at the Ritz Carlton for a few days this month. Overall, I think this is a great choice for St Thomas, but I have a few suggestions for travelers and the hotel.
The hotel is on the opposite side of the island from the airport so it can take 45-50 minutes to go about 11 miles.
This is an expensive place to stay. It is up there with some of the most expensive beach hotels I have ever stayed in. We upgraded to an ocean view, which was an extra $100 per night, but well worth it. If you can stay here on business, that would be the way to do it.
The hotel has incredibly nice staff. The restaurant staff was particularly friendly, not just nice, but truly friendly.
Our room was lovely. The bathroom was large- although I think more counter space instead of two huge sinks would have been better. The view from our balcony was beautiful. I would recommend staying away from the rooms next to the ice machine and staff closet ( Room 215 and anything above or below) as it can be noisy.
The restaurants are expensive. However, we went to a mediocre restaurant in Red Hook and it was expensive too. The breakfast buffet at the Ritz Carlton is $35 per person. We ate at the Italian restaurant one night. The half portions of pasta are small, but the salads and appetizers are generous. The bread and tapenade are good. It is nice to sit outside and eat on the patio. Not the best Italian, but not bad either.
While the hotel doesn't advertise it, guests can and should eat at Palazzo. This restaurant is located above the ownership units which are somewhat separated from the hotel. It has indoor and outdoor seating with views of the ocean.The owner of the restaurant made a point ot check in with us. The Tagine was very good, as was the grilled artichoke. The Pad Thai was a bit spicy for our tastes. Service was very good.
Guests should make it a point to go out on the Lady Lyndsey catamaran. We did the sunset sail and it was wonderful. The staff is great, the appetizers are quite good and so are the drinks. Since you can't see the sunset from the hotel due to the direction it faces, this is a great way to see the sunset. The guests on our sail were all very friendly and we got, and shared, some good tips about the area.
One of the biggest complaints I have about the hotel, is the pool and beach situation. There seemed to be too few chairs for the number of guests. Also, although I love little kids, most hotels of this caliber would have an adult pool. I was surpised at how many young children were at this hotel.
The rooms have Nespresso machines which is a nice touch if you like little cups of espresso. Personally, I think most people would prefer a Keurig or coffee maker.
We had a car during our visit. It was nice to have the car during the day, as the taxis are really open air trams and can be very crowded. Driving on the left isn't too bad, but driving at night is scary. If you stay at the Ritz Carlton, you can't really walk anywhere to shop or eat. On the positive side, the hotel is very close to the Red Hook ferry which takes you to St John. A day trip that is highly recommended.
Overall, I think this is a great choice on St Thomas if you don't mind the expense.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled within a 30-acre beachfront estate, The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas blends classic European elegance with warm Caribbean hospitality. The resort overlooks sparkling turquoise waters and white sand beaches on the eastern tip of the island along Great Bay and with views of St. John. 180 Guestrooms each have private balconies, Caribbean-inspired decor and views of the Caribbean Sea and tropical surroundings. Other features include a full service spa and salon, 24-hour fitness center, a Club Level with private concierge and complimentary food and beverage presentations, infinity pool, a beach and aquatic center with ample complimentary water sports, and four restaurants for gourmet dining and personalized service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotel.de, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ritz-Carlton St. Thomas Hotel St. Thomas
- St. Thomas Ritz-Carlton
- The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas U.S. Virgin Islands