“Ritz Prices, Marriott Experience” 3 of 5 stars

20% Savings On Room Rate
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Oyster Bay, NY
“Ritz Prices, Marriott Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Our recent trip to the Ritz Carlton St. Thomas was, in a word, fine. The room was perfectly acceptable--cookie cutter Ritz Carlton (I could have been in Akron!), the beaches were lovely, two small, crescents with beautiful water and vistas (though the chairs were VERY close together), the bed was very comfy, the food was slightly under par--restaurant reservations didn't mean anything, the menus were limited and quality so-so, and the services seemed uninspired.

On our second morning I awoke to no water, and NOBODY appeared to know what was going on and when it would be rectified. There also was the elusive $65 per person/per day "resort fee." UGH! Just raise the room rate already--don't nickle and dime me!

I daresay the Ritz is probably the nicest place to stay on St. Thomas. Remove the sunshine and sea, however, and it's just another hotel--nothing terribly special or memorable...

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
STTRZGM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Tyme4atrip,

Thank you very much for the thorough review of your time at our resort. I’m very happy to see that you enjoyed our beach and our beds, but disappointed that our restaurants and services did not meet your expectations, as we aim to provide the finest service and facilities to our guests on a daily basis.

Our resort fee of $65 per room per day includes use of all water sports equipment on the beach, as well as fitness classes and gym access. It is truly not our intent to nickel and dime our guests, and I’m sorry that you felt that it wasn’t a value. As far as the water issue, I’m very sorry that you had to experience this inconvenience, though assure you and future guests that it is a rare occurrence.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We really do appreciate feedback as we look to improve the experience for future guests. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to welcome you back if you are ever again in St. Thomas.

Bernd Kuhlen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This was our 3rd trip the Ritz-Carlton in St. Thomas during Easter break and our expectations were high due the fact that we had two great vacations there prior to this year. I will start by saying that this years price for the same Ocean View room was twice as much as the prior two years. We requested an early check-in and high floor (even though there are only three levels) when making our reservations. When we arrived we were told that our room was being cleaned and would be an hour or so, so we went down to the beautiful courtyard to unwind. Our two children got changed and went to the pool. after an hour and Half we went to check if our room was ready and were told it would be another 20 minutes to half hour. long story short it took us three hours to get our room. We were then told our room was on the first level which we didn't like, so we asked for a different room and after another 15 minutes were given a room on the third level. We found out in the morning that the complimentary coffee was done away with and you had to buy coffee at the yogurt shop which was a very long walk from the residences. The restaurant prices are all very high which you'd expect at a Ritz-Carlton, but none of them are very good. The new Italian restaurant (Asenza) was ok at best and the portions were ridiculously small. My thoughts are if I'm paying over $1,000.00 for a room I should get the room I want right from the start, I shouldn't have to walk a mile for a cup of coffee in the morning and if I'm paying top dollar at a restaurant I expect the food to be much better than average.

Room Tip: Ask for room on top level for a better view of the bay and St. John across the bay.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
STTRZGM, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear motoddp,

First of all, thank you for writing your review and also for being a loyal Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas guest. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further regarding your recent stay at our resort. Feedback is always appreciated as we improve the experience for future guests. At your convenience, feel free to contact me over the phone (340) 775-3333 or by email (ian.mcphee@ritzcarlton.com). I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Ian McPhee
Director of Operations
High Bridge, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My family stayed in a Club Level Suite in the Freesia building in April 2015.

The restaurants were fabulous and the setting is pretty hard to beat. The staff was very friendly and extremely gracious without exception.

Unfortunately, on the morning we left, there was no water throughout the entire Freesia building rendering all the toilets, sinks and showers unusable. We used the public bathrooms in some of the other buildings for our morning ablutions and had checked out before the issue was resolved.

It happens. I don't think St. Thomas is known for having stellar infrastructure. Part of going to the islands is being ready to improvise.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear 25MTTGFG,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our resort. I’m especially pleased to see that you enjoyed the service, which I agree is friendly and gracious.

I’m so sorry that your stay with us was made less perfect by the water situation you experienced on your final day. While these things are extremely rare, they do happen once in a great while, and I want to thank you for being so understanding.

Thank you again for sharing your kind words about our resort. We hope to welcome you back to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas soon!

Ian McPhee
Director of Operations
Washington Dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The Ritz Carlton is one of the best hotels and this is no exception. On the whole island, they have the best location - especially is you love sailing. We started off at the Dreams Sugar Bay and it was not what we were hoping for. We decided to leave without even staying a night and went to the Ritz. So glad we did. It was amazing! The building is gorgeous, the renovated rooms were spacious and beautifully designed and the setting is perfect. Many resorts on the island have to content with the very rocky and hilly geography, requiring guest to go down about 5 floors before reaching the beach. The Ritz is gently sloped down to a gorgeous beach on a bay. Rental of the Sunfish catamaran, snorkeling gear, paddle boards etc are all included with your resort fee. The bay is perfect for sailing with lots of wind and the coral reefs right by the hotel are great for snorkelling. We saw a lot of interesting fish! The restaurants are great too. We went to several restaurants at other resorts and the Ritz has the best location by far. Would definitely come back!

Room Tip: Get a renovated room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
STTRZGM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear iguana8888,

Thank you very much for the kind words about your time at our resort. I agree that our location on Great Bay is exceptionally scenic and a perfect location for all of the wonderful water sports you mentioned. I'm also pleased to see that you enjoyed our delicious restaurants as well as our recently renovated guest rooms.

Thank you again for your great review, and we look forward to welcoming you back to St. Thomas soon!

Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Had a nice relaxing time on the Condo side. Had multiple choices for meals. Food was very good. As always the Ritz does things up nice. Staff was very friendly and accommodated our every need. Somewhat high end on the cost factor, but well worth it.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Newjersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This review is specifically about club level experience. I've travelled to most Caribbean ritz carlton hotels and stayed at club level all the time. Compare to cancun and cayman, st Thomas club level is a joke. Basically, service is nonexistent!!!. Food? Ur talking about food??? Compare to other islands, food is disappointing. Think of Chinese food takeout. Trust me I'm not lying. Jo service whatsoever. Basically a self service drink. No specialty cocktails. Forget about piña coladas etc. waiter, waitress don't come to u for drinks nor clean up ur plates. U want something? I gotta a fetch for long time to get them. This is a really shame for ritz after paying so much for the hotel and specially for club level. Also, pool service is nonexistent. U basically have to find a chair ur self and set up towels itself. After paying over thousand a night for this? General manager? I haven't met u buy u should straghten up ur self first!!! This is unacceptable for ritz standard!!! The place is absolutely beautiful and the room is gorgeous. But!!! Why do u pay so much for ritz??? As we all know because of service. This place totally ignores that. Thus, deserve one star from me and general manager needs to be changed. I'm a loyal ritz guest and always received top notch service elsewhere except here. Totally waste of money. Do not book club level!!!!!!!!

Stayed April 2015
STTRZGM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear soyoon,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of our resort. I’m very sorry to see that you did not enjoy your experience on our club level. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you personally. Please feel free to call me at the hotel (340-775-3333) or email me (bernd.kuhlen@ritzcarlton.com) at your convenience.

Thank you for being a loyal Ritz-Carlton guest, and I look forward to speaking with you soon,

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Family vacation at the Ritz in St Thomas. Fabulous accommodations and dining at Residences and hotel property. The grounds are well maintained, the staff very friendly and willing to meet your every need.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas? Share your experiences!