“Great Property, a little off the beaten path” 5 of 5 stars

$100 Resort Credit
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kansas City, Missouri
“Great Property, a little off the beaten path”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed one night at the Ritz before a week of sailing around the BVI. Check in was fast and they gave us signature cocktails to make it even more pleasant. The property is huge and has a lot of hills so they drove us to our room in a golf cart. Without luggage it was easily walkable but the assistance was a nice touch. The pool was gorgeous and the view was amazing. The grounds were lush and green and very peaceful. Service was excellent and our room was a standard Ritz room with a small balcony that looked out over the property and the pool. Going into town for dinner and drinks was a bit of a wild ride on the open taxi (think safari - common for taxis in the Virgins) due to the narrow, winding roads.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

Just returned from a five day visit to the Ritz on St. Thomas. My husband and I take a break from the Michigan winter every year to visit the Caribbean. We will not be returning to the Ritz Carlton, St. Thomas.

First, let me say that we are just not fans of this island. Though it is scenic and beautiful, it didn't feel safe to us. Our driver made sure to mention the areas where there is a large police presence. The trip from the airport to the resort was scary. The roads are narrow. The terrain is extremely hilly which adds to the harrowing experience. People drive too fast and are not careful. The SUV we were in to return to the airport actually got hit by a truck! Also, take note of the taxis. They are not taxis. They are ride shares. The Ritz called a taxi for us. We gave the driver the address. He stopped for two other pick ups and took both of them to their destinations before us! This happened twice more.

The staff of the Ritz Carlton is very gracious. The resort is beautiful. It is enormous and requires guests to call for golf carts to get to certain places, but nonetheless, the grounds are well maintained and very pretty. The Grand Palazzo restaurant is the best place to eat at the Ritz. It is privately owned and on the residence side of the massive property. Sails is a fun lunch spot. Other restaurants did not impress.

Now the not so great news. We were given a handicapped room. While it is wonderful that these rooms are available, it was not appropriate for us. The room, in general, was nothing special. The temp in the bathroom was extremely warm. There was no place to put toiletries or makeup. Showers meant water flooded the bathroom floor. We asked for a different room. They could not accommodate us. Instead, we were given two beach towels and cups. A nice gesture, but not what we requested. They also provided a fan for the bathroom. Again, really not what you'd expect from a Ritz.

We were also disappointed that reservations made before our arrival were not recorded. We had to make all of our reservations again once we arrived. Also, the spa was totally booked. I tried to make an appointment the first day we were there. They could not accommodate my request.

We are loyal Ritz Carlton/Four Seasons customers. This experience was a disappointment...not on the level we have come to expect. For the many thousands of dollars we spent on this trip, it was a disappointment. The bill (for the many thousands mentioned above) they left us on our final day was nearly impossible to read. You would think a bill for that amount could warrant some ink or toner, right?

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
STTRZGM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Mdkeys,

Thank you for taking the time to write a thorough review of your stay with us. First of all, I’m happy that you enjoyed our beautiful grounds and more importantly, our Ladies and Gentlemen, who I agree are extremely gracious and very helpful to our guests. As you probably know, February and into March is an extremely busy time for us, and while it’s no excuse, may help explain the lack of availability in our spa as well as why we were unable to offer you a different room. Your genuine comfort is our highest mission and I apologize that we were not able to offer a solution that met your expectations during this busy time. As far as the missing reservations, thank you for bringing this to my attention and I will certainly address with the team to ensure that it won’t happen again for future guests.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us. As you said, St. Thomas is a picturesque island with a culture and atmosphere all its own. The winding roads, hilly terrain and shared taxis are a part of that unique experience. If you do decide to visit the island again, we hope we'll see you back at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas.

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

From the moment you arrive on the property you are surrounded by friendly staff that bend over backwards to make your vacation perfect. Speedy checkin, followed by a tropical drink and you are whisked away to your room by a friendly bellman in a golf cart. Room is nice although I wouldn't call it high end Ritz style .... Balcony overlooking the water is awesome! The hotel grounds are beautifully maintained. The pool and beach areas are well stocked with fresh ice cold water and lots of beach towels. The attendants are happy to adjust your umbrella, bring you a towel or anything else you desire. The pool restaurant and bar is very well staffed. Minimal wait time on drinks or food. Also down at the beach you will find plenty of rafts, snorkeling gear and fins and a variety of other water sports ... All provided for your use through the resort fee. Free WiFi works well all over the property! We dined in all the restaurants service and food were all good. Highly recommend taking a ferry over to St. John and swimming in the beautiful waters of Trunk Bay. Otherwise stay on property and enjoy all the Ritz has to offer!

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean views. Don't think you can go wrong. However if you want a short walk to...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
STTRZGM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear TravelLux2000,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review of our resort. I’m so pleased to read that you enjoyed our landscaping and facilities, and especially pleased that you recognized our team of Ladies and Gentlemen, who truly do whatever they can to create personalized and memorable experiences for all of our guests.

And thank you for bringing up the water sports on our beach, which as you mentioned are included in the resort fee. We offer snorkel gear, paddle boards, paddle boats, windsurfers and Hobie cats. We always encourage our guests to get out and explore Great Bay as much as possible!

Thank you again for your fantastic review, and we look forward to welcoming you back to
St. Thomas soon!

Cypress, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

I booked bunker hill hotel and when I got there it was apparent I had made a very bad choice and my wife contacted the ritz which quickly dispatched a driver to rescue us from this very seedy part of Saint Thomas. We were greeted with a rum punch and escorted to a very nice room with a balcony rm 546.
Check in and restaurants were Ritz quality
And is in a very beautiful bay.
The amenities for the beach are included and the place is very well kept and manicured.
The rooms are very comfortable and linens
Are very high quality cotton .
I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed February 2015
new hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This was the 5 th time we have visited and love it more each time. Staff is friendly and accommodating. One thing I will say is I wish they didn't allow children. I have children of my own but they're grown and when I go on a vacation and stay at a ritz I don't appreciate the noise of kids screaming and older kids splashing me with noodles in the pool.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Islandgirl072,

Thank you for being such a loyal guest of our resort and for your great review! While our resort does welcome guests of all ages, we have a children’s pool and also offer children’s programs through our Ambassadors of the Environment Learning Center, which we hope helps to alleviate some of the noise from our littlest guests.

We’re excited to welcome you back to St. Thomas for your sixth stay with us!

Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

After our reservation at the Elysian was canceled last minute, we were upgraded to the Ritz, and our vacation turned out to be absolutely wonderful. The resort is beautiful and huge! All the food at each restaurant is delicious. Very fresh seafood. The staff is very accommodating and so friendly, it was hard not to smile the entire trip! Our room was beautiful and had an amazing view and balcony. The beauty rest bed was heaven and housekeeping cleaned up the perfect amount to not invade your space. The location is great, 5 min from red hook. There is plenty to do. Our vacation turned out to be amazing thanks to the ritz. We will definitely be back!

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear F873NCdanielam,

I’m so pleased that we could turn your vacation around, keep a smile on your face, and make it memorable! Thank you for the compliments about our grounds, our rooms, the food, and especially our team of Ladies and Gentlemen, who truly set us apart.

You’re always welcome at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas, and we’re looking forward to having you again!

Tortola
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

It was such a relief to have found a vacancy after our reservations that was made by our company had fallen threw. Our weekend started off very badly until we got a room at the ritz. From the moment we got out of the cab, we was greated by all sorts of very friendly staff. I do think it was a bit pricey for one night and it had just a few minor flaws which for the price I wouldn't have expected but I was very very happy with the night we had. I had no idea people could be so friendly and work so well as a team at a hotel. I can't wait to go back. We also had upgrade to club level which was the best part, I just wish we knew about this as we was waiting for our room to be ready. I also wanted a few things done at the hair salon which was impossible, with only one girl working. Also our mini fridge didn't work and I cut my finger trying to open it But sometimes those things won't bother you when everything else was so amazing. I'd definitely pay 1400$ again to be pampered at this beautiful resort.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
STTRZGM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Beachbody F,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review of your experience with us here in St. Thomas. I’m so pleased that you felt pampered and that we could turn your weekend around! I’m especially happy to read your comments about our outstanding team here. They truly do work as a team to ensure that our guests receive the genuine care and comfort for which The Ritz-Carlton is known.

Thank you again for your kind words, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Bernd Kuhlen

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas? Share your experiences!