“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
Chicago, Illinois
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed here for a weekend getaway while visiting St. Croix for an anniversary trip. Excellent food and drinks, stunning views, great amenities. We loved our room and had a great view from our balcony. Awesome service as always at the Ritz. The highlight of this short trip was taking the catamaran Lady Lynsey provided by the Ritz over to St John for a sunset cruise and dinner. The food on the boat was awesome and the views while making our way to St. John were unforgettable. The Ritz never disappoints, and it certainly was an unforgettable weekend here in St Thomas!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Mount Kisco, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

me and my Freinds I.reen Ally Tasha and Emma traveled to St.Thomes this past Summer the year before me and my family traveled to the Ritz in Miami this is the best hotel you'll ever stay at!!!!! The food was crazy good and your kids have so many activities

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This is our 2nd stay at a Ritz, so I can't compare to many others but our experience was positive and I believe it was worth the Ritz price. That said, there are a few kinks I think the hotel is still working out (more on this later).

Check in: We were greeted by very friendly staff at check in, who made us feel very welcomed.

The grounds: if you are used to walking or enjoy a bit of a stroll (if you live in a city like we do) there is no problem with the layout or distance. Nothing is further than a 10 or so minute walk. Yes, there are some stairs so if you are using a stroller (as in our case) it's not ideal, but we got around just fine carrying our lightweight stroller up/ down stairs when needed and mostly taking paths that had ramps. First floor rooms would require less stairs so consider that if you have little ones (we stayed on the 2nd floor which had easy access to the hotel driving paths behind the building but required stairs to easily access the pools/ beach).

Pools: pools were great. Heated pool on the timeshare side (accessible to all, hotel or timeshare guests) was popular with families with children. The infinity pool was nice and refreshing, not too cold though unheated. There is also a small adults only serenity pool (we didn't visit since we had baby with us).

Room: we were in the Begonia building. All rooms are ocean view as far as I am aware (so smart, no
disappointed guests with a garden view!). Bathroom was spacious and updated. Large covered balcony was nice to spend some time when it rained. Comfortable bed.

Breakfast: buffets at either Bleuwater or Essenza, $35 pp. not cheap but if you order a la carte it's still pricey (we did one day, our total with tip was $62 compared to $80 for the buffet with tip, so we stuck with buffet after that). If you can get a deal that includes breakfast, it may be worth it. (We did not opt for the club package at $500 extra but it may well have been worth it). Another option if you want to grab and go is Zest. New on premise coffee and frozen yogurt shop. We got 2 coffee drinks and 2 bagels for $22. Not cheap either but cheaper than the restaurants if all you want is a bagel and coffee!

Staff: lovely people. I have to say we did not have a single bad experience with any of the staff during our stay. Everyone was pleasant and helpful. All the ladies couldn't get enough of our 9 month old, and he loved the attention. A few to highlight: Jasmin - so sweet and helpful, made us feel really at home. Gezel at breakfast was very nice, too. Viola at Sails who gave us helpful tips for our day trip to St John, and Martha who was very patient with us as we enjoyed the music at Sails' Sea to Sails night.

Beach: yes it's small but it was sufficient for us, and there is more beach you can also use on the timeshare side if you like. Water sports were great, we took the
Hobie out several times after my husband did a lesson.

So, overall a great stay. Would definitely go back. As for the kinks:

- I noticed that at some of the water stands, the staff is filling them with ice water from metal buckets that are meant for serving beer. This isn't acceptable to me. Management should provide proper pitchers or jugs for pouring over the water and ice. At the towel stand I did see a staff member pouring over water from a large water jug, but it would not be easy for anyone to lift the jug that high- so maybe the buckets are a work around and management needs to some up with a better solution.

- there was some landscaping/ maintenance work going on while we were there, the week prior to Christmas week. It wasn't clear exactly what they were doing, but it was taking a while and a bit of an eyesore.

- Shower installation: they are replacing the outdoor showers, which is nice, but the noise of the construction was not. Just surprised at the season in which this work is taking place.

Stayed December 2014
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

My wife, my daughter, and I came to the Ritz for a little rest and relaxation. We spent a couple days scuba diving and It was excellent! My wife is always a little nervous at first and Sawyer, here at the Ritz, was extremely patient and helpful. I highly recommend asking for him if you are a novice or just need a great guide.

We took the shuttle over to St. John one day. (It was a 5 or 6 dollar per person cab ride each way from the Ritz to the ferry terminal in Red Hook) The ferry ride itself was 14 dollars round trip..well worth it! It was about a 20 minute ride. Once we were in St. John, we went to Cinnamon Bay which was very beautiful, and a little more laid back and quiet. The open air cab ride was 7 dollars per person each way. (We were not charged an entry fee for this beach). On the way back, we stopped at Trunk Bay, which was very nice as well, but had a lot more people, and charged a 4 dollar per person entry. Both were EXTREMELY beautiful...just depends on whether you are looking for more privacy, or people watching.

I know others have said it on here, but if I come back to the Ritz, I would not miss sailing with the Lady Lynsay. We had Captain Rich, Chris, and Niyah taking great care of us. The service was great, and I told them that they way undersold the the "snacks", as we had finger sandwiches, all kinds of cheese, fruit and veggie platters...and anything you could want to drink...Top notch service.. Thanks again guys..

Scott, Tammy, and Accailia W

Room Tip: It looks that nearly every room has a great view. Higher is better, but not sure there are many elev...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

One of the most beautiful Resorts in the United States Virgin Islands, for sure. This is just another example of spending money to enjoy yourself, ok? Make sure to also visit the other U.S. Islands, St. Croix, and St. John while you're here, for the best vacation options....

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

the natural beauty of the area as well as the inherent pride in the staff make this a special get away. Service is always a priority @ the Ritz and they do it well.

Recommend the catamaran trip to St John's

Room Tip: corner room are the best!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Beecher, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Finally made it back after a 3 year wait and it was well worth it! I'm already planning a return trip for next year.

I have to say, this time was even better. We went with the Club Lounge package this trip and yes it was more money but well worth it. We ate breakfast there every morning and went a few times for lunch and hit it every evening. The food was excellent and as a woman, I'd rather graze throughout the day rather than eat large meals. My husband preferred having a least one large meal a day be it lunch or dinner so we balanced out the CL with eating at the restaurants and it worked perfectly.

We stayed in the 'E' building in the center end ground floor. These are the best rooms because they have a long hallway that runs the length of the entire room before they turn into the short hall that enters into the room. This extra hall drowns out the outside noise including the doors closing. We will be asking for the same room next time.

The room was very clean and had everything we needed. I do wish the fridge was colder so I could keep dairy items in it...states that isn't not meant for perishable food. The CL was always immaculate as was the rest of the property. They were doing maintenance on the grounds and in some of the buildings along with upgrades and re-landscaping. This is nothing new especially during the off season. The only thing I noticed was that while the new landscaped ares were pruned, primped and totally weed-free, other areas were quiet weedy. Maybe it's just my OCD but I wanted to start pulling weeds...I notice weeds everywhere I go. I would have been happy to weed the entire grounds around our building for a free night...maybe they can start a program, weed and stay a night free.

The food at Sails, Bleuwater, Essenza, and in the CL was excellent...I didn't have a bad meal. My husband did order a burger through room service the night we arrived and it took about an hour. He said it was just okay but not worth the wait. He did have a pizza poolside and just raved about it! Just in case anyone was wondering, all the food there comes from the same kitchen no matter which restaurant you eat at. Bleu and Essenza offer at least one of the same dishes and the food served at Sails is the same as C-cove...they just offer different items at different locations. So if you don't like something at one place, don't bother ordering it at another location. The few alcohol beverages I partook in were de-lish...the froze one with banana at Sails is a must!

The pool was great, water a little chilly when first entering but once in it was fine. The beach, yes the beach is rough in spots and you have to watch where you walk or put on a pair of water shoes which I brought but never used. They offer several activities and I tried to snorkel and failed...my bad. We did bring our own inflatable view finder and that worked well...Amazon for $30. They should have the $400 snorkel boards available because that would have been perfect! Ask me, RC, and I'll send you a link for the boards because not everyone can snorkel.

The staff couldn't have been friendlier or more inviting. Everyone always had a smile and a greeting accept one maid, maybe ours, that I would pass in the mornings. Most of the ladies in the CL talked with us everyday and would even suggest places to go if we asked. The gentlemen driving the carts were unbelievably nice and couldn't do more to help us. When we were going up to the lobby to check out, I had a small cup of nuts and fruit that I drop all over the driveway. Our driver/bellhop told me to wait and he'd be right back. He ran to the club house and brought back nuts to replace the ones I dropped. He didn't have to do that and I didn't even ask him...he just did it. Amazing service and I just can't say enough about it.

As for complaints other may have, let me go over those...Stairs, yes there are many many stairs so if that is going to be a problem let them know up front and I'm sure they can locate you in a proper room. We walked all the time except when we checked in/out and when it was pouring down rain...we needed the exercise after all that wonderful food. They offer the shuttle carts for a reason, so use them and then if you need.

Nightlife, no there is none or very little. There is a bar in the one restaurant that's open late and plenty of places to hang out and chill. They have fire pits in the back of the main building with small Koi ponds. This not a wild spring break kind of place, it's much more reserved. If you need the night life you can go over to Redhook, I hear it's a happening place. Most people are exhausted from a long day in the sun and ready to turn in by 9 or 10pm.

Our room, like most or all, have been recently updated...no mold or musty smell...and everything looked new. If you are given a room which you find uninhabitable, ask to be moved right away, before you put your suitcases down. After all, the bellhops show you the room and ask if it's okay before they leave you for a reason.

The food, if you like Ci-Ci's or McD's or Arby's, then you won't like the food here. I am a food snob and do not eat fast food or low-end establishments. As a guide line, a one on my scale would be the Flamingo Buffet in LV or all of the mentioned above. A five would be Morton's or Brand in LV. The food here was always a solid 4+, except the pizza I would give a 3.

We will be back, but this time we won't wait three years...miss you and will see you soon RC St Thomas!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas? Share your experiences!