“No electricity, no problems” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$100 Resort Credit & More
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
us
“No electricity, no problems”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

We recently stayed the Ritz Carlton in St. Thomas for 5 nights. Overall it was a great trip, except for one major, and a couple minor problems. It was a return trip for me, and first for my girlfriend, and our first stay at a Ritz.
-The Ritz grounds are beautiful right on their own private beach, with great views of the Caribbean. We made use of the water sports area (the Hobie cats were awesome), fitness center, restaurants, and pool area. Snorkeling was pretty good there. It was clean and the staff were friendly.
-THe food and drinks were very good, but pricey as expected.
-The service overall was good, but sometimes a little slow. We were forgotten at check-in, because we arrived at 2pm and were told we would get a text when our room was ready. The official guaranteed check-in time is 4pm, so around 430 we decided to go back to the desk to see what was up and they said our room was ready, and had actually been ready for a while. It's a little frustrating after spending all day traveling. Service at the restaurant/bars was also sometimes slow, taking a while to get waited on.
-The main problem while we were there was a loss of electricity. Tropical storm Bertha came by, with what seemed like only moderate winds and rain, and part of the island lost electricity. The Ritz also lost electricity. I first called to see what was up and I was told that they were trying to start their generators. Then we were told that their generators went down at the same time as the electricity on the island. Then we were told that the the Ritz has its own electricity supply. Overall electricity was lost for over a day, with some intermittent return. The place next door, Coconut Cove, was just fine as their generators must have been working. Oh, and the water doesn't work while electricity is out. So there were times we couldn't use the toilet or take a shower, the restaurants were not serving, etc. They did set up a gas-powered buffet for breakfast the next morning and for dinner that night. They were also very nice about it all, however, it's hard to believe that a Ritz Carlton would lose power with no back up source, while the place next door was doing just fine.
-We went to St. John for a day which was really nice, and worth the trip.
-We rented a car during our trip and went to Magens Bay which is worth seeing, and drove to Mountain Top which has great views. We tried to go to Coki Beach which is touted as having good snorkeling, but its really in the ghetto, so stay away! I probably wouldn't rent a car again and would rely on taxis and the people ferry to St. John which is a lot faster than the car ferry.
-Overall it was a great trip, and would think about staying there again, except for the concerns noted above.d

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Naples, Florida, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

A stay here is what you make it and overall it's a relaxing resort, but lacking some of the Caribbean charm of some other 5* resorts in the region. That being said the Ritz and the Ritz Residences are the only two luxury options on the island. Nearby Caneel Bay gives them a run for their money, but it's really not suited for those who want all the modern conveniences. Anyone not wowed needs to remember that St. Thomas is lacking in the luxury category. You basically have the Ritz or the Marriott. Ritz wins hands down, but I think the Marriott was better with a family. Overall, its a good option for St. Thomas and the room upgrades can totally change your stay! I found the first room (garden view) was in a poor location and noisy due to staff closets near by. We upgraded to an ocean view in a building far away from the main one and wow what a difference. Seeing those teal waters and being close to the main pool bar totally changed our experience.

It seems to me like a lot of the reviewers were not keeping in mind the other comparative options on St. Thomas and didn't have realistic expectations. This is not St. Barths, its more or less a good getaway if you don't have a passport or are doing pre-post cruise stays. The snorkeling and sailing are wonderful! Keeping to the hotel itself, the restaurants had high but comparatively fair prices on food and drinks for similar hotels. The linens and furniture in both our rooms were good and looked fairly new. Overall the grounds were impecible. Beach kept well groomed too. Some rocks, like the rest of the island, but nice soft sand. Great service at the pool.

The Ritz Residences (up to 3br) next door are the real luxury option here. You have to book them separate from the hotel and they are usually a one week minimum. If you can afford them and have a group , family or two couples, etc I would definitely go with them.

Room Tip: Opt for the Ritz Residences next door -and if your travel agent is amazing they will get you free br...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Long Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Overall, the resort was fine but for the brand and the price point, we were surprised that it didn't feel more upscale. It felt generic. The beach is pretty but windy and the water is not as clear as it is on other parts of the island or other islands in general.

The staff at the front desk and restaurant were all very helpful and friendly. When we decided to leave early for another hotel, they were very accommodating. The concierge though was not terribly helpful with ferry schedules or with other excursions, telling us that he could give us phone numbers but couldn't call on our behalf.

We also experienced two days of power outages while there. Their back up generators went out, leaving the resort to rely on the island's power grid. The water is on a pump system, so we only had water showers and toilets four hours a day while the island's intermittent power was working.

The rooms were as generic as the rest of the resort. The bathroom was recently redone. Nice, but nothing special or unique about them.

The food was very expensive and not great. Two turkey sandwiches (with the worst lunch meat ever), a beer, two waters and some chips was $75 through room service. Yes, it was room service and so we should have known better.

We decided to leave after one full day and extend our stay at Little Dix Bay. It takes longer to e to get to but the island is prettier, the resort more interesting, the food better and the beach is incredible. AND it was less expensive!

Room Tip: Spend the money to get a higher floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
STTRZGM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear SoCalBruin11.

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we always welcome our guest’s perspective. We are enjoying a breezier than usual summer in the Virgin Islands, normally at this time of year the weather is quite balmy. I will share your thoughtful comments about our front desk staff as they truly enjoy hearing positive feedback from our guests. I am sorry that the concierge service did not meet your expectations. While we have local laws in place that prohibit us from making certain travel arrangement for our guests, it is limited to taxi service and does not extend to ferry service or other methods of transportation. We will use your comments for additional training and continue to improve our service.

Bernd Kuhlen
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

what more could u ask for in a place like this, its heaven on earth just perfect i love every second , every minute, and every hour i spend in this lovely hotel with my spouse and my daughter , i remember my baby girl saying to me mommy , mommy can we please stay here i dont wan to leave our experince was simple the best we´ve every had and am sure its the best we´re gonna every have this was a dream come true .... if you go to this place and dont like it then something is defenatly wrong with you, this is a place to love we are planning our next trip soon cant wait to get back there the food is just delightful just thinking about it makes me hungry... great place for a lovely get away with family friends or couples amazing amazing amazing....

Room Tip: corner suites are large and sunny.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

From the moment we arrived it was amazing!! Even the view from the lobby was fantastic. We loved our room and the view from our room was fantastic. We used the workout room and running on the treadmill overlooking the turquoise waters is breathtaking. The food for breakfast was so delish! Eggs benedict and French toast was to die for. I wish I knew the name of the sweet lady that worked there as the hostess. So welcoming!! The spa was being renovated I would like to go back and try the new spa. All the food we had was so amazing there! We took the ferry to St. John everyday and snorkeled and had a great experience each day!! We are dying to go back to Ritz Carlton St. Thomas!!

Room Tip: pay extra for an ocean front as appose to a resort view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Marco Island, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

I took my parents on a short notice vacation for my mothers 60th birthday. We started out in St Croix where we just weren't happy.It was LITERALLY the vacation from hell and I felt horrible for planning this amazing vacation when my parents were clearly miserable. My other has a terminal illness so vacations these days are so important. Needless to say, I got on the phone with the Ritz and I paid $300 for all of us to hop on a sea plane and come to true paradise. Working in the hospitality industry I am well aware of excellent service, since it is something I strive for in my job on a daily basis. From the MINUTE we drove up to valet to the second we checked out.... I had the best service I have ever seen in my entire life. I've read some previois reviews and I think some people don't give credit where it is due. Personally, the front desk staff went above and beyond to make sure my parents were comfortable since they are much older and my mother is handicap. Every time we needed to go somewhere, the bellman were right there and ready to come pick us up! No offense fellow reviewers... you know what you're getting into when you book the Ritz. Five star service is gonna' cost ya. Needless to say this property should be proud of the service they provide because IT IS AMAZING. Thank you ,again, for an extremely memorable stay! I can't wait to come back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

At airport now after staying at the Ritz for the 2nd "leg" of our honeymoon.. (We stayed at Caneel Bay in St John for the first 5 days and The Ritz in St. Thomas for the last 2 days) Every aspect of our stay was unreal perfect!!! We booked a club level ocean front room, which turned out to be under construction during the time of our stay.. But we were MORE than adequately compensated. :) Treated like royalty the entire time.. Room was great, food was great (definitely visit Bleuwater for dinner while there) comps were great.... The stay was everything and more I hoped it would be!!! Every staff member we met was TOP NOTCH!! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas? Share your experiences!