A stay here is what you make it and overall it's a relaxing resort, but lacking some of the Caribbean charm of some other 5* resorts in the region. That being said the Ritz and the Ritz Residences are the only two luxury options on the island. Nearby Caneel Bay gives them a run for their money, but it's really not suited for those who want all the modern conveniences. Anyone not wowed needs to remember that St. Thomas is lacking in the luxury category. You basically have the Ritz or the Marriott. Ritz wins hands down, but I think the Marriott was better with a family. Overall, its a good option for St. Thomas and the room upgrades can totally change your stay! I found the first room (garden view) was in a poor location and noisy due to staff closets near by. We upgraded to an ocean view in a building far away from the main one and wow what a difference. Seeing those teal waters and being close to the main pool bar totally changed our experience.
It seems to me like a lot of the reviewers were not keeping in mind the other comparative options on St. Thomas and didn't have realistic expectations. This is not St. Barths, its more or less a good getaway if you don't have a passport or are doing pre-post cruise stays. The snorkeling and sailing are wonderful! Keeping to the hotel itself, the restaurants had high but comparatively fair prices on food and drinks for similar hotels. The linens and furniture in both our rooms were good and looked fairly new. Overall the grounds were impecible. Beach kept well groomed too. Some rocks, like the rest of the island, but nice soft sand. Great service at the pool.
The Ritz Residences (up to 3br) next door are the real luxury option here. You have to book them separate from the hotel and they are usually a one week minimum. If you can afford them and have a group , family or two couples, etc I would definitely go with them.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled within a 30-acre beachfront estate, The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas blends classic European elegance with warm Caribbean hospitality. The resort overlooks sparkling turquoise waters and white sand beaches on the eastern tip of the island along Great Bay and with views of St. John. 180 Guestrooms each have private balconies, Caribbean-inspired decor and views of the Caribbean Sea and tropical surroundings. Other features include a full service spa and salon, 24-hour fitness center, a Club Level with private concierge and complimentary food and beverage presentations, infinity pool, a beach and aquatic center with ample complimentary water sports, and four restaurants for gourmet dining and personalized service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Marriott, BookIt.com, Hotel.de, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ritz-Carlton St. Thomas Hotel St. Thomas
- St. Thomas Ritz-Carlton
- The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas U.S. Virgin Islands