“4 days in paradise!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
Jupiter, Florida
“4 days in paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Ritz mid September with a group of about 60 people. The service was excellent. At check in they offer Rum punch, which is yummy! Everyone at the desk is very friendly and knowledgable about the hotel and island. The rooms are very nice-they are renovating the entire hotel so i'm sure the new rooms will be spectacular! The beach and water are amazing! The water is so calm you can just lay back and float-no waves to knock you over and the view is beautiful! If you get tired of sitting on the beach there are all kinds of water sports available-kayaks, paddle boards, sail boats and snorkel equipment. The restaurant at the beach is a little spendy but the food and drinks are good! The staff is friendly-just remember they are moving on island time! I will definitely return if i have the opportunity.

Room Tip: Near main building but not in main building!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

A group of us stayed at the Club, but I am writing a review of the hotel because we were able to take full advantage of all their amenities. The infinity pool was gorgeous and the most perfect temperature in a pool you could ask for in the heat of the day or the cool of the evening. The bar and resort staff were extremely accommodating to our every need. Everyone we spoke to was very nice and we felt very comfortable. The resort was well kept, the beach chairs each having their own umbrella was a huge plus for those of us who did not want to tan and the easy access to sporting equipment was great. The boat we privately chartered picked us up from the hotel beach and the hotel staff graciously took us to our boat. The service was great and I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a relaxing time. The only downside was that the entire island in the month of September slows down to a screeching halt and that included the resort. Bars and restaurants closed very early around 5 pm and only one place was opened for dinner. Also the price for food was very expensive compared to places around the resort. The location of the resort is far from town, so you will be using a lot of cabs to get around.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

1. Our suite
2. The beach/snorkeling off the beach
3. Proximity to St. John & Trunk Bay
4. The resort itself: Views, grounds, spa, pool
5. The service

1. Our suite: The Presidential Suite, Room 500. Two terraces. 1,850 square feet. Very well-appointed space. Felt like a home, not just a room at a resort. It was an incredible place to come back to after a day at the beach or off-island excursions.
2. The beach/snorkeling: Calm, turquoise water. Sails delivered lunch. Frozen treats at various times delivered to your lounge chair. Ice cold water available (for free). Snorkeling steps from the shore. I swam over sting rays. Species of fish varied the most above pipes to the left of the beach as you’re facing the bay/ocean. Resort fee covered the masks, snorkel and fins and other activities.
3. Proximity to St. John & Trunk Bay: Taxi from the Ritz to the ferry station took about five minutes. The ferry ride to St. John was about 20 minutes. Once there, restaurants and shops within walking distance offered many options. See my reviews of Morgan’s Mango and High Tide. The open-air taxi ride to Trunk Bay was scenic and took about 20 minutes; TRUNK BAY: Next to scuba diving (which I couldn’t do on this trip because I’m pregnant), the snorkeling at Trunk Bay was a thrilling experience. See my review of Trunk Bay.
4. The resort itself: VIEWS-- Overlooking Great Bay and across to St. John from our room or the beach was soothing. At night Bleuwater was illuminated giving it a special blue hue. The main building sparkled at night. It was truly beautiful. GROUNDS--The property is lush and relaxing. You truly feel transported and never forget that you’re on vacation and away from it all. The iguanas near Sails and some other spots were entertaining. We loved seeing them sun themselves in the salt pond. SPA-- Very tranquil environment. I had an excellent prenatal massage with Boel. My husband’s massage unfortunately wasn’t as great as mine but we were in Anguilla at CuisinArt (before the second part of our babymoon in St. Thomas) where he had an excellent treatment at Venus Spa. POOL-- There was always room in the pool for one more and it was never too crowded. The views from the infinity-edge pool facing the beach and Great Bay were mesmerizing. The mid-day cookies and all-day cold water were nice compliments to a pleasant poolside experience. Jason, the attendant at the towel station, was personable and professional.
5. The service: Our housekeeper, Juanny, was so pleasant and welcoming. She left a hand-written note on her first day; I don’t recall this at any Ritz-Carlton or other 4-star or 5-star resorts. Denzyl, our bellman, was professional and knowledgeable; he’s a resident of Tobago and knows the overall USVI area well. The phrase, “My pleasure,” is something that I love about The Ritz-Carlton regardless of the city or country. I appreciate the consistency in service no matter where I am.

My husband’s take on our stay in St. Thomas: “A hub for all excursions. It can take a lot of energy out of you. When you come back after a long day, it’s nice to come back to a place like The Ritz-Carlton that feels like home. You can have trips to St. John, Tortola and many other places by going to St. Thomas. St. Thomas isn’t about the destination itself; it’s about all of the possibilities for what you can do while you’re in St. Thomas.”

My other comments: We had a guaranteed check-out of 4pm as part of our level of service. The night before our departure after we received our folio, my husband called to confirm our late check-out and stated that we only needed a late check-out of 2pm. The person who answered said he’d call back to confirm. We ordered room service and forgot about expecting the confirmation.

The next day after breakfast and lunch at the beach before our departure, my husband headed up to the room while I continued to take in a few last moments at the beach.

Close to 12:30pm I headed up to our room only to have my room key not work. I tried again. No go. A man on staff was standing nearby and I told him my room key wasn’t working. He let me in. Once inside I noticed my husband hadn’t returned and I was alarmed realizing he probably couldn’t get into our room either. I went back to our suite entrance and told the guy outside and our housekeeper, Juanny, to please let my husband in if he arrived after me and I couldn’t hear him while packing (the foyer and walk-in closets were far apart in our suite).

I called Guest Services and a man connected me to a woman to whom I explained that I had been locked out and that we had a guaranteed late check-out; my husband likely had the same issue with his room key and we had to depart for the airport at 2pm. By then it was after 1pm and I was worried. I called the front desk again and was told that I could come to reception to get a new room key. The main building was at least 15 minutes by foot and I’m five months pregnant. Not once did I raise my voice or yell but I definitely felt like I would have been justified in so doing.

The appropriate action and response would have been for the Guest Services staff to apologize and send the room keys to us or at least offer to find my husband to give him a new room key. When my husband went to the front desk after realizing that his room key didn’t work he was given the “don’t keep your room key next to your credit card” lecture. I was appalled.

If you’re wondering, no, we didn’t have our room keys against credit cards or magnets that would have de-activated our room keys. Here’s what happened.

When we checked out, the front desk staff admitted that room keys are automatically de-activated at noon despite a guest’s guaranteed late check-out time. Room keys can’t be updated within the system to reflect the accurate check-out time. New room keys have to be issued and made available at the front desk.

We were inconvenienced and our check-in for our international flight was put at risk. We couldn’t check in at the kiosk at the airport and had to get assistance in order to check in. We never got the confirmation of our guaranteed late check-out but it was in writing upon arrival based on our level of service/package.

A guest should not be inconvenienced by outdated, automated systems. The Ritz-Carlton can do better than telling someone 5-months pregnant and her husband that they should pick up new room keys when the hotel made a mistake and demonstrated poor customer service.

Room Tip: Presidential Suite #500
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton in the middle of July for 5 days. We had a wonderful time and the service was fantastic. We were traveling with our two kids, ages 14 and 11. We opted for a suite (cheaper than two rooms) in the concierge tower, which included breakfast. Little did we know that it included way more than just breakfast. And it wasn't just a continental breakfast, as it happens. The first morning we ventured down for coffee, expecting to find a few croissants and sweet rolls. Much to our amazement, there was a full spread with eggs, breakfast meat, potatoes, toast, bagels, oatmeal, cheeses...you get the picture. At lunch, the put out a nice selection of salads and sandwiches or wraps, as well as a rum bar, with a great selection of local island rums. The evening is all about the cocktail hour but even then there are appetizers available or, quite frankly, a meal, if you are so inclined. We'd go in and have a cocktail or glass of wine and maybe some appetizers before heading out to dinner. After dinner, we'd stop in the club for dessert. Yes, they even had a fabulous dessert selection that my kids were crazy for. Not once did we order dessert out after discovering the wonderful selections.

Okay, so that's all about the Concierge Tower and Club and by the way, the staff were incredibly friendly and accommodating, making reservations for dinner, getting something that wasn't on the bar or making a cocktail. They bent over backwards to make our stay the best it could be.

But the other great part about the Concierge Tower is the beach rentals. Everything was included from paddle boards, catamarans, wind surfers, etc - provided you had experience on said items.

Overall, I hope we can go back soon and enjoy this resort once again. It was a fabulous place and the staff everywhere was so very happy to help in any way! I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas is an excellent choices for anyone who wants to get that remote island feel, yet its only 30 minutes away from the city. What makes it great: Hammocks, taking the private catamaran out, infinity pool, beautiful beaches and excellent service.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
North Kingstown, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

(My rating of average is for the property. I feel the staff deserve a very good rating)

We arrived Friday September 6th. The air conditioning unit in the room we were given, the Freesia building (room 152), would not climate below 77 degrees (although it felt like it was not working at all). They tried to fix it but could not. We were moved to Eugenia to suite (room 539). Jen at the front desk was extremely accommodating with this issue. The suite was very nice with 2 bathrooms, living room, 2 decks. (see pictures) The tile was a bit dated and there are a few things that need updating but a very nice room.
Over all the resort is going through a beautification process. (this is what they call it). Actually I would call it “under construction”. Restaurants although very good, had very limited choices and limited hours. There was only 1 choice for dinner – Great Bay Lounge. Other than that you can take a taxi about 5 minutes and $5 per person where there were a few decent restaurants. Pesce and XO Bistro (see my review for Pesce). Also try Sunset Grille at the Secret Harbour resort (short cab away) We knew ahead of time that September is low season. Restaurants are closed, club level and Lady Lindsay closed. Spa is limited hours and the island itself is limited. In a way you have the place to yourself but there is not much to do. My husband had a very nice massage but the spa had just 1 small steam room. The gym was clean with a nice selection for a great workout. We had a private yoga session with Elise. I highly recommend this! Also as other reviewers have mentioned there is A LOT of walking. This doesn't bother me but if you can't/do not want to walk they are quick to pick you up in a golf cart and shuttle you to where you like around the property.
Employees for the most part are very friendly, accommodating and will go out of there way for you. Especially Jen at the front desk. The manager and bartender in Great Bay who sent us a beautiful bottle of wine and fruit basket for our anniversary, as well as a gift from Jen for my husband’s birthday (during the same week) Also Luke and Johnny at bellhop are wonderful! The pool staff not so much.
The pool and beach are nice but as I mentioned above I did see some empty cups in pool..etc…I felt more could be done service wise. Also maybe some new beach chairs…a bit run down. Do take advantage of the nice selection of watersports (included in your resort fee of $62 per day) Not up to par compared to Ritz-Carltons in, Amelia Island, Palm Beach, South Beach, Grand Cayman and Marina Delray where we have stayed previous
I would not return to this property again during low season however, I saw some of the upgrades being done and I would highly recommend you visit this property during their high season, December through June as I think there is much potential for a beautiful Ritz property when finished.

Room Tip: I would stay in the club level building - Eugenia. However all buildings are being renovated so once...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We've been coming here for the past 6 years over Christmas (this review is a little late but very well deserved!). Everything here is just FABULOUS: the accommodations, service, food and pool/beach area. We absolutely love this property AND St Thomas. Highly recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas? Share your experiences!