“A Marriott with Ritz prices and branding” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$100 Resort Credit & More
Ranked #3 of 22 hotels in St. Thomas
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“A Marriott with Ritz prices and branding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Overall, this property is at best at the level of a good Marriott beachfront hotel. I've stayed at several good Marriott properties, so that's not necessarily bad, but the prices here are Ritz prices, and that's too high. Our room and the rest of the property were clean and the service generally was very good and friendly. However, dining options on-site are extremely limited and very expensive. Fortunately, we had rented a car at the airport (I urge everyone flying into St. Thomas to consider it given the cost of taxis to/from the Ritz) and a couple of days went to Red Hook (a nearby village) for lunch and dinner. Also, the pool and the hotel beach are rather small for a resort hotel. There are several non-motorized watersport options, which our kids enjoyed. There is nothing to do at the hotel in the evening other than having dinner. We stayed for four nights and felt that was plenty at this property.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

1,132 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We so enjoyed our week in St. Thomas at the Ritz Residences. A beautiful 3 Bedroom condo with full kitchen and living space - perfectly maintained. the Ritz property is perfect, beach beautiful and staff very gracious and helpful. Don't miss the Magic Moments island hopping yacht - it was the highlight of our week.

Room Tip: The residences were fantastic!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Chester Springs, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

My husband & I have travelled a great deal. My husband has never been a big fan or the Ritz, he feels they are too large of a hotel & the service never lives up to the standard. Unfortunately, the Ritz St. Thomas fell short, especially for the prices we paid. Upon arrival, my husband had stated we had booked our reservation with our Platinum American Express. The person checking us in, did not acknowledge any privileges. I assumed the American Expree packet would be in with a welcome packet of some sort. Our Oceanfront room was a lovely basic room, one would expect at a Ritz. The room was clean, with great amenities, nice balcony with comfortable lounge chairs. The bed was amazingly comfortable, towels very lush. Again, to be expected at a Ritz. There was not a welcome packet of information, map of resort, hours of services, etc. we did not receive a confirmation letter of any dining reservations we had requested while home. I had called the resort 2 months prior to our stay, realizing it was a Spring Break/ Easter week & knowing it would be crowded, for kids program activities, Lady Lynsey information, Easter Dining options & was told to call back a month prior. It was never easy getting in touch with a staff member in concierge, the kids camp or Lady Lynsey. Amazingly, I remembered to cal a month before our stay, again, no information was available. This shoukd have been an indicaction of what was to come. I had to place a call to the front desk, asking for Amx privledges & resort information. After checking out the room, we decided to take a walk around the resort. The views are beautiful, lush, fragrant flowers , the turquoise ocean & beautiful St. John. What didn't expect we're dirty towels on every single pool & beach chair & beverage cups & trash from the guests that day. we dined at Blue Water that evening, we dined outside, which was lovely. My 9 year old son & I got torn up by mosquitos! The food was delicious & the service was great! We were surprised not to receive turn down service, however, had a welcome gift for the chikdren with the AMX privledges. After a day of traveling, my family & I decided to sleep in a bit. We went down to breakfast at 9:30, had a bit of wait to get seated. My husband, made a reference to feeing like Sandals White House! The buffet was delicious! Service was ok! I had to put empty dishes on a service table next to us. Not enough staff for the amount of people in restaurant. They ran out of items on, such as, Fruit Loops, strawberries for my 9 year old daughter. There was 1 waffle maker to make your own waffle, always a huge line! Also, an omelette station, with a very long line. If you enjoy eggs at breakfast, this was the only way to get eggs...scrambled, fried or an omelette of your choice. We stroll down to the beach around 10:30, ask the towel attendant to set up 4 people. The two guys looked at us like we had 15 heads! I thought, oh, perhaps they only set up for the pool? I simply ask if there are people to set up at the beach? They again blatantly said, no! Of course, you can imagine my confusion. They add, there are no chairs. I ask, how this could be possible? How can a Ritz charge X amount of $$$$ a night & not have enough chairs. They tell us people might be checking out at 11 to come back then. They also tell me that people are waiting on them by 6:30 in the morning & that all of the chairs at the pool & beach are gone! My husband was ready to get the car we rented & go to another beach. I could nt accept that option. While I was standing there in dismay, a man with his 2 year old daughter & to asks to be set up at the pool. They said, there none. He asks, where do I sit? They say next door at the Club. I am in shock & ask to speak to a manager. Jonathan, the Recreation Manager, came running down deeply apologizing & managed to get 2 chairs set up. He assured us that when 2 more came available & the towel attendants did indeed bring over the chairs. Jonathan did manage to make thing right & we were satisfied with his efforts. The service on the beach was a nice service, however, the Four Seasons & smaller 5 star resorts offer so much more. We deciced to dine at Sails for lunch. I went to request a table at at about 1:40. They said they are not seating anyone any longer, since they are so crowded & the kitchen was backed up. She requested I come back at 2. We came back & were quickly seated. The food, service & drinks were good, however, extremely expensive! Ex.$29 for fish tacos. The kids meals were reasonably priced, $12 for fresh fish & fries. The beach was beautiful, although very crowded. The chairs were lined on top of one another, about 5 rows back. The family with 8 saved chairs in front of us, finally arrived around 3:00, asking their daughter if she saved chairs at the pool. Her answer was yes! The water sports were wonderful for our children. They enjoyed glass bottom kayaks, peddle boats & snorkeling. That evening we had made reservations on a Wine Tasting on Lady Lynsey. The pool listed it to begin at 5:00, however, I had written down it was at 5:30. Since we never received any confirmations, I tried to confirm with Lady Lynsey, no one answered. I then called the concierge, no answer. After several attempts, I was able to get in touch with the concierge, who did know the answer, had to confirm time & if we were on the reservation list. Of course, it starts to rain! One would expect the room to have an umbrella at the Ritz, right? The 4 of us make our way over to the boat, wet! Some people have umbrellas. They ask for you to check in 15 minutes prior. The guests gather getting wet, we all see the crew dry on board & talking. Mind you, it is still raining, we are all getting wet, it is getting chilly, as well! Some people are getting angry, as expected. Finally, they let us on at 5:30, when it stopped raining! The boat is lovely, open bar with champagne, delicious appetizers & cookies. It was a wonderful evening! We dined at Pesce in Red Hook. It was delicious & the service was great! Upon entering our room, we realized no turn down again. I make a call to the manager on duty, Horace, the evening manager. He apologizes, sends turn down, asks what else he can do. We learn the system, I go down to the pool hut at 6:30 on the dot & get 4 chairs set at the beach. The beach has a sand art stand, my daughter enjoyed! The ladies at the snorkel equipment hut, not very friendly. She gave my husband an attitude for returning the snorkel gear a few days later, since we had early excursions to Coki Beach ( which was the most amazing snorkeling!) & St. John. One last call to the manager. She tries to make things right. We dine at Great Bay Lounge. My 9 year old daughter breaks out in a heat rash, I ask the restaurant manager if the gift shop is open. He runs & gets her Aloe gel & says that it is on the house. A very kind gesture, we very much appreciated! Unfortunately, the aloe doesn't work, she & I excuse ourselves from dinner. My husband, son & parents stayed. I believe there was much confusion from our departure. My husband said the service went down hill after we left & that the waitress disappeared. They offered to send both of our dinners up to the room, however, my husband said he'd be fine to take out the food. The food was delicious! We had a 4:00 check out through AMX Platinum. I mentioned this to several employees, however, no seemed to relay to housekeeping. The Gift Shop was very nice, very expensive, $55 for a child's rash guard. The quality of merchandise was very nice. The Ambassadors Club for kids was very interesting. My children did not partake in any of the activities. They charged $95 per child for for an activity. It hardly seemed worth the price, especially, since the activity was not even a half day activity. St. Thomas is a gorgeous island! The Ritz is the most luxurious hotel on the island. I realize that it was Spring Break & the week of Easter, however, they should have been prepared for the number of guests & equipped to provide the best possible service, they pride themselves on. It felt very mass market!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Northville, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This property was more like a Ramada in Mexico, than a Ritz Carlton in the Caribbean. Our room wasn't ready until after check-in time. We were eligible for a room upgrade, but the property was sold out. They refused to give us club lounge access as our upgrade (we had already booked an ocean front room). Our room was AWFUL. Slop on the side of the nightstand, stain on the sheets, filthy bath tub, holes in the towels (I'm NOT making this up!!). We were there Easter weekend (as I said, the resort was sold out). They were completely understaffed. We had to track down someone to get towels, search for waitress service, look at stacked up dirty dishes by the pool all day. At no point, were we offered an itinerary of Easter activities. The one and only good thing about this resort is the unlimited use of water toys (paddle boats, windsurfing, kayaks, etc). Of course, this was part of the additional resort fee. We have stayed at several other RC properties (Cayman, Sarasota, Naples, Toronto, Westchester). This was the most we've ever paid and the WORST!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Murrieta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We've stayed at this resort 3 times. Our favorite! The staff is friendly and anticipates your next request without being pompous. We are a beach and water couple. You can walk forever on the beach, and if you get warm you can take a dunk in the sea. Thirsty walk up to the bar. Please don't get me started on THE LADY LINDSEY. Picture this! Quiet cove, clear blue water,floatie. Out of nowhere appears a staff member, wading through the blue water, with a tray of cocktails. My last name is not Trump! But I have died and gone to heaven!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

For $1000 per night, the Ritz St Thomas is a big disappointment. We have stayed at many Ritz Carltons and it seems they have no consistency with the brand. The Ritz in Cancun is spectacular, the one in Jamaica is terrible. This one in St. Thomas is perhaps one notch better than the one in Jamaica. The staff are slow to help and grumpy and don't seem happy that you are there. (Caveat: there were a few staff who were very friendly, but this was the exception). Food service is extremely slow. Even getting a juice at breakfast takes forever. It is impossible to get chairs at the pool unless you get up at the crack of dawn. Even when you find chairs it took forever to get staff to help put chair covers on and get towels-- and of course, even then they had minimal level of politeness instead of cheerfulness and welcoming attitude one expects at a Ritz. Food at the restaurants is just ok. The property is run down and could definitely use sprucing up. We ended up leaving the property every day and going to other beaches on St. Thomas and St. John (which was gorgeous, by the way.) If you are looking for something else in this area, I heard the Westin in St John is nice-- we actually tried booking it, but it was full. Unfortunately, on St. Thomas, I have heard from many people, the Ritz is the nicest place you will find--what a disappointment!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Glen Head
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Infinity pool sun and the club lounge...it doesn't get better.
The food is just awesome...the settings are bug free and the staff is just unbelievable..they all remember your name and address you appropriately every time ...
this is the place to stay on st thomas

Room Tip: book the club lounge with your room.... every pool is the best
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas? Share your experiences!