“Shocking how the service has deteriorated” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$100 Resort Credit & More
Ranked #3 of 22 hotels in St. Thomas
Chicago
“Shocking how the service has deteriorated”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We have been to this property three times over the past 10 years. We are here now for spring break and it is really sad how badly the service has deteriorated. The first night, we had a terrible dinner at the cocunut grove restaurant where our servier basically ignored us. We went back to our room for dessert hoping it would be faster. Chocolate chip cookies and a browine took an hour and 15 minutes after ther told us 30 minutes. The following morning, housekeeping never reset the alarm clocks so it went of at 5 am- our kids were crying and my wife and I never could get back to sleep. Second day, turn down service came at 10 pm after calling three times. Ther is no manager on duty on spring break with the hotel full- I spoke to the "loss prevention manager" who was the only superviosr on duty! I told them him that I would keep posting negative reivews for every day we suffer. We are paying $1700 a night for this.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

1,129 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Aurora, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Awesome vacation! Great snorkeling, scuba, paddleboard, spa and beaches! Created a Halloween trick or treating event for the children at the Ritz. Candy was given at different areas of the resort and ended in "Monster House" movie on the beach with popcorn and drinks along adult beverages for the adults. Service was outstanding and we became quite accustomed to lifting the flag on our beach chairs. The water was crystal clear and sea life abundant. Weather was outstanding and hurricane Sandy did not effect the beaches surrounding us. Beautiful resort with outstanding accommodations. Definitely will be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We did not spend the night at the Ritz but were in a wedding that took place here. The staff were all amazing. Ever person we encountered was eager to assist us and take us to where we were going. The hotel has clearly hired those truly interested in customer service from the valet to the wedding planning group.
However, after seeing the rooms and facilities, I do not think it is worth the price. The rooms were nice but nothing out of the ordinary. The dining areas were well kept but could use a face-lift. The beach was rocky and a little rough at the back of the bay although picturesque.
Red Hook was nearby (about 10 minutes) but the Ritz is about 30 minutes from Charlotte-Amalie and 40 minutes to the airport making it quite a commitment to leave the resort. However, it is very close to the ferry to St. John.
Additionally, the food and drinks at the Ritz were extremely expensive. Our breakfast was cold and bland and our lunch mediocre at best. We had far better meals in Charlottle-Amalie for the same price.
Overall, the Ritz was nice. But I wouldn't stay here considering the rate is more than double that of any other hotel we looked at in St. Thomas. The amenities simply don't line up with the cost.

Room Tip: Do not pick building F - it is a very long walk from the main lobby. Try to get a room in A, B, or C
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I just returned from 5 nights at the Ritz. We had a wonderful time. The Ritz property is well-maintained and beautiful. Here are the cons and pros:

Pros: Beautiful pool, Beach is nice and has a great view of St. Johns, Resort is away from the cruise ship hustle/bustle, great (but expensive) cocktails, very nice hotel gym, comfy beds, spacious rooms with nice decks.

Cons: there were kids everywhere and they pretty much took over the pool -- my husband and I didn't care, but if someone is looking for a kids-free vacation, this is not the place; there is no coffee/bagel bar for breakfast - you are forced to eat at the restaurant. My husband and I don't like such a big breakfast, so we ended up stocking up on yogurts at the nearby market. Lunch was very overpriced and just fair - I got a salad and there were only about 4 leaves of lettuce. We thought Sangrias (which is walkable) was better for lunch (and breakfast) and walkable from the RItz.

All in all - we would definitely return. The island is a delight. We would likely bring our kids next time!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Booked a last min getaway to St. Thomas and stayed at the Ritz. Decided to book a club level room and thought it was worth the extra money.

The arrival
Our pvt transfer was late..took us about 1 hour from STT to the resort. Once we arrived everything else was taken care of for us. Arrived a little before 4pm and room wasn't ready. Was taken to the club lounge to wait and explained how the club worked.
Room
Big, Two bathrooms (one with tub and shower the other one just with shower), living are space, with table to eat at. 2 tvs, 2 balconies. Clean, not over the top glamourous but the space worked well.
Club level, breakfast, snacks all day, canapé in the evening and drinks until 10pm. Carl, Katherine and everyone there went above and beyond.
Beach was small but nice.
Food just ok, a bit salty for my palate.
Spa was wonderful.
Gym small but new equipment and enough treadmills, etc for everyone
Def would recommend the Lady Lynsey sail tour.
The free wifii worked great throughout our room, club, beach, etc.
Overall, really enjoyed the stay. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The property was gorgeous. Book the club level, it was worth it!!
Will return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bloomington, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

It is an expensive stay but the excellent, and superior service makes it the best. This was my first stay on the island, I would stay here again! Go on the Lady Lyndsey. The crew is uber professional. The resort fee includes equipment use (including windsurfers, snorkle equiptment etc. Food is good. Great memories are made here!

• Stayed March 2013
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed at the RC for business. The hotel is located on the East end of the Island, a bit far from downtown where my meetings occurred.

I chose to rent a car. The hotel is a bit difficult to find. Siri couldn't find it and I forgot to get a GPS at the rental car company. With the assistance of several friendly St. Thomas residents, I finally located the hotel after wandering about for over an hour. Lesson: don't be me, get clear directions from the airport or get a GPS. The hotel is located on a very winding road and the turn off onto rt 322 is hard to see, as the roads are not well lit.

When I arrived, I was greeted warmly by the staff and given a rum punch. I felt if earned the rum punch after the driving ordeal. Valet parking is complementary and a bellman takes you via golf cart to your room.

The resort is quite large. I stayed in the Begonia building which is the closest building to the lobby -- a very easy walk. I believe this building is three floors and there is no elevator. If you have problems walking distances (or simply do not like walking), alert the staff and I'm sure they will accommodate you. Plus, they will send a golf cart to pick you up and transport you to the lobby.

My room was simply beautiful. There was a nice patio overlooking the resort and the room was very large. The room was also extremely quiet -- I could scarcely hear passersby.
One day, I returned to the room and it had not been serviced and my privacy tag was on the door. I did not put the privacy tag on the door. I alerted the front desk and they immediately sent a staff person. I'm not sure how this all happened, but it was immediately remedied, so I was happy.

I ate most meals at the casual dining restaurant. As stated in other reviews, the restaurants are expensive. I found the prices to be typical of the other higher-end restaurants on the island. The sushi was tasty and the restaurant staff, very attentive. As I was traveling alone, I ate in the bar area most nights. My server brought me a selection of magazines, in case I wanted some reading material. Very thoughtful.
I ordered room service on one night. The meal arrived in an adorable wicker basket and I had dinner on my patio. Very nice.
Overall, I really enjoyed my stay. I cannot say enough good things about the support staff. They really made the difference b

• Stayed February 2013

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas? Share your experiences!