After reading the reviews here, we had some second thoughts about staying here. Reports of old rooms, average food, and onsite theft had us second guessing our choice. But St. Thomas was on my bucket list, so we took a chance. We're SO glad we did. We came for my 40th birthday - a parents only retreat for a long weekend. And although a few of the comments from others were true, we had a fantastic trip.
Here's what we read that had a grain of truth to it:
1) The bedroom door didn't seal fully, so we did hear more noise from the hall outside our room than we expected. This was especially true in the mornings, owing to quite a few families with young children. This was occasionally a surprise, but nothing that ruined our trip. The walls were plenty thick, so we weren't hearing noise from other rooms.
2) There were quite a few people onsite for a promotional trip from Toyota. Yes, there was an evening party on the beach we weren't invited to. But there was also a wedding (or two) while we were there, and we weren't invited to those either. (!) Just because we were staying at the Ritz didn't mean that we felt entitled to every event onsite. Instead of feeling like this took away from our experience, we actually felt as though these events added to the romantic and festive ambiance.
3) We requested a king bed, and were only given a room with two queens. Our room, however, was gorgeous, and we did fine. Although we would have preferred a king bed, it didn't ruin our trip.
Here's what we read that we found to be completely untrue:
1) Theft: We never had a problem at all. We put our items in a safe, and had no troubles. Furthermore, I left my good camera and other valuables pool-side every day, and never had a problem.
2) Room service: we had breakfast delivered twice, called for a ride in a brief rainstorm, and reserved a few activities, all from our room. No problems.
3) Check-in problems: our room wasn't ready when we arrived, so they gave us a credit for lunch, and we happily relaxed and ate a great lunch at Sails while they finished preparing.
4) Small, old rooms. Our room was a nice size, with a large bathroom with separate tub and shower. Our room was everything we expected on a tropical island. We were in Eugenia, which may be a newer unit.
5) Bad, expensive food: We loved the food everywhere we ate here. Sails had a great tropical pizza, pesto chicken panini, and fun drinks. Our special requests were honored easily at Bleuwater, and the breakfast buffet was wonderful. Yes, it's expensive, but if you're hoping to save a buck, you're probably at the wrong hotel.
6) Rooms far from the main hotel: Our room was in a building the second-furthest away from the main hotel lobby. We only went back to the main hotel lobby a few times, so it didn't matter much, and we could ask for a cart ride anytime. Also, we were just a few steps away from the beach, so it doesn't really matter where you are, because everything is close to the beach.
What we're still dreaming about:
1) The infinity pool is stunning at every hour of the day. My favorite spot was floating in the pool, watching the boats and looking out over the bay to St. John. Stunning.
2) The grounds are beautiful, with a reserve area for local birds and plants as well as stunning tropical flowers and trees throughout.
3) The water activities (catamarans, body boards, snorkeling equipment) accessible at any time of day, all included in the resort fee.
4) The sunset cruise for dinner in St. John on Lady Lynsey was magical.
5) The view from our room was amazing.
6) The cake delivered from the hotel for my 40th birthday was lovely, and a nice touch.
7) Pool-side food and drinks delivered while we sunbathed were not cheap, but excellent.
I'm so glad we took the chance and stayed here. Next time we might try the club level, for brunch included, as well as rooms with a view of St. John. We'd love to come back.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Tingo, Priceline, Odigeo and Venere so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ritz-Carlton St. Thomas Hotel St. Thomas
- St. Thomas Ritz-Carlton
- The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas U.S. Virgin Islands