“You love it or you don't” 4 of 5 stars

P.O. 303476, 00803 , St. Thomas
340-998-2318
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Ragamuffin 62ft Classic Sailing Yacht, exquisite Teak interior, spacious staterooms, huge main saloon, 27 opening hatches/ports, comfortable cruiser.Loren & Jo owner/operators cruising Caribbean 20 years, highly interested current events, many personal island friends… never know whom Ragamuffin will meet/invite aboard 7 days BVI early breakfast then morning sail to new island, lunch, snorkel, explore. Happyhour and some dinners ashoreBecome a Ragamuffin, leave books at home, live the adventure.Crew participation encouraged.
Phoenix, Arizona
“You love it or you don't”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

After reading over all of the reviews thus far, I see that you either love the experience of sailing on the Ragamuffin . . .or you don't. From what I could tell, the majority of the 'complaints' were about Loren's ah er . . personality. Loren does come across as gruff and perhaps a wee bit impatient. But when mechanical and/or weather issues spring up at a moments notice, you don't have much time to stop and give sailing lessons. But if you are willing to learn and you love and seek adventure, then this is the cruise for you. The Ragamuffin is a beautiful and well maintained boat and home to Loren and Jo. They've been sailing her throughout the Caribbean for years, so they know where all the great beaches and bars are. They take you to places where locals go, places you wouldn't see on any other type of cruise. You enjoy great food and wonderful local culture at every stop along the way. The snorkeling is great off of Loblolly Beach on Anegada Island and I had the largest fresh caught lobster dinner ever, at Neptune's Treasure that same night. That was just one of many exceptional meals we had throughout the week. Jo is a fantastic cook too and she works magic in her little galley. And yes, we had freshly made bread almost everyday. So if you are a sailor or want to sail the Caribbean, Loren and Jo can certainly show you the ropes or I should say lines. If you want to be spoiled and treated like a princess then stick to the big cruise luxury liners, but if you want adventure, the feeling of being close to the sea and experiencing the local culture of the islands then this sailing cruise is for you.

Visited December 2011
sailorjo, Owner at Ragamuffin Charter, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
As they say in this part of the world.. you either get it or you don't. S/V RAGAMUFFIN is a sailboat not a cruise ship.. we really go sailing. Our job is to give you the most fun vacation ever.. but at the same time keeping you and the boat safe. We do not claim to be a floating hotel.. we are your magic carpet ride into one of the most beautiful places in the Caribbean.. meet the locals one on one.... the people that live here all the time.. and make friendships that will last a lifetime..

Youngstown, New York
“A trip to be remembered...........”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

On December 30th I set sail (7 days) with friends on Sailboat Ragamuffin out of St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. We toured the Islands of Jost Van Dyke, Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Anegada, Marina Cay, Norman Island, and St. John. I arrived a day early due to scheduling and was accommodated overnight, free of charge (with meals) by the owners of Ragamuffin. Ragamuffin is a gorgeous catch, well maintained, and roomy both below and on deck. Our adventures were fabulous, and the sailing was superb. Meals are provided by owner Jo DeChant, and her cooking was beyond my expectations!! From a full-course turkey dinner, to grilled tuna on the deck, we were served with utmost hospitality and the meals were delicious. Fly into St. Thomas and taxi to Marina (only $6), you will be picked up by Capt Loren and brought to Ragamuffin. Schedule an early arrival and a later departure as this makes for easier time management. Happy Sails!!!

Visited December 2011
rogue valley
6 attraction reviews
“Well, you either love em or hate em”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

Looking at the reviews, there's no inbetween! My wife and I are of the latter...especially 'the captain'. Wow, never thought someone could treat us the way he did when he's in the 'hospitality' business. The places we visited in the BVI were great, but it's the traveling to and fro that was the problem; we were not worthy sailors and we apparently abused the toilet. He let us have it day in and day out. We still gave him some tip money; a) he said he expected it, b) we did go to some nice places, and c)were so glad to get off the boat. Suggest, to be safe, you charter with a professional company that is in the business of making sure you have a great time, and not charter with an unprofessional outfit where their boat is their home and are only doing charters to sustain their way of life in the Carribean. You're gambling.

Visited March 2011
sailorjo, Owner at Ragamuffin Charter, responded to this review, February 17, 2012
From Loren, sorry if I became upset after having to unplug your toilet numerous times durning your stay. I thought my job as Captain is to keep you out of trouble and off the rocks.
Next time you should go on a cruise ship, they also have an ample supply of whisky.

From Jo, After being in the service industry for over 40 years, I do understand that no matter how hard we try to please everyone some will like us, some will not.. we will like some guests in fact become good friends.. we will not like everyone but will still do our best to please them… don’t’ remember ever hating a customer.. not worth the stress… but no matter how you put it there has to be only one Captain on a boat.. he/she is responsible for your safety.. if you are not willing to follow simple instructions you need to stay on land.. even cruise ships have rules.

For those of you thinking of a sailboat trip, a marine head is a simple pump with a valve you turn to flush pump the handle up and down to add water into the bowl after using the toilet you pump a minimum of 20 times turn the valve to dry pump the bowl dry, requires a small physical and mental effort. Not pumping enough water, putting large wads of toilet paper, paper towels, face wipes, tampons in the toilet will plug the hoses.. which.. to repair requires the use of a screwdriver, a bucket and a very strong stomach.. for some reason this is always Loren’s job.

As to how we (finance our Lifestyle) make our living.. most Crewed Charter Boats under 80 feet are owner operated all Captains are required to have a United States Coast Guard Masters License and all crew is required to meet the same STCW required for any passenger vessel world wide, even though we take a maximum of 6 guests in US Waters. We are both fully licensed USCG Masters and because the yacht is our home we take more than a vested interested interest in its upkeep and yes this is our Job.. as Jimmy Buffet sings.. “it ‘s my job” our hope is that you will (get it) and have the best vacation ever on the water.. we just happen to live in Paradise.
New York City, New York
“Was like being with loved friends who knew all about the BVIs!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

Jo and Loren are fabulous "to come home" to. I've been on several charters with them. I've sailed with them in fair and foul weather and always felt safe and sound. I love going to all their tried and true sailing spots, visiting the locals, some celebrities, some friends and some characters. A great time is had by all.

Ragamuffin is a lovely sailing vessel with two private bunks and two private heads, a salon for hanging with the sun gets to you and the galley where Jo whips up delicious meals.

I can't wait for my next trip.

Visited June 2011
Cathedral City, California
“The time of our life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

I was browsing through Trip Advisor and found reviews for the Ragamuffin. The negative ones astounded me so much I felt compelled to write one about our sailing adventure with Jo & Loren. Short version: we had the time of our life. I booked the week on the Ragamuffin and surprised my husband with it for his 50th birthday. We flew into St. Thomas and stayed one night before being picked up by Loren for our adventure. Neither of us had ever been sailing before; it was just a fantasy vacation we'd talked about for years. I did a lot of research before deciding on the Ragamuffin, and the research paid off marvelously. I do have to say, though, that we both took a day or so to adjust to the reality of being on a sailboat as opposed to the fantasy we had in our minds. It's not a luxury yacht or a cruise ship. There isn't vast deck space for lounging about. The head (bathroom) is small and, well, it's a head, not a bathroom like you'd find on land. But once we stopped thinking about what it wasn't and relished what it was, it was a glorious week. The boat is beautiful and sailed like a dream. Jo & Loren asked us our interests in terms of itinerary, then planned the week accordingly. They check the weather reports constantly and were able to hit all the islands we wanted on just the right days. (We ran into passengers on another charter who had horrible experiences with weather because they refused to listen to their captain's recommendation about the itinerary!) We saw some of the most beautiful beaches we've ever seen, had spectacular snorkeling, and got to meet some of Jo & Loren's friends on various islands, including Michael Beans, a wondrously fun entertainer on Marina Cay. Jo's cooking was absolutely amazing, too - who knew you'd get fresh baked bread every day on a sailboat?! My husband helped with the sails and ropes but I (wisely) chose not to, knowing how clumsy I am :) Yes, Loren can get a little gruff with his orders, but hey, you're sailing in the middle of the sea, and things have to be done the right way at the right time! If you're interested in helping out, just ask for a little instruction and explanation before you start. And, yes, the sailboat is their home. We shared our meals with them and got into all sorts of discussions - sometimes we disagreed on issues, but it was fun hearing alternative points of views, and by the end of the week we felt as if Jo & Loren were dear friends. We still keep in touch, and someday, someday we hope to make a return visit! If you're looking for luxury, go on a cruise ship. But if you're looking for a grand sailing adventure through some of the most breathtaking islands with amazing food on a beautiful sailboat, we heartily recommend sailing with Jo & Loren on the Ragamuffin!

Visited May 2011