“Another week in Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Fantasia

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Thomas
Villa Fantasia
You added Villa Fantasia to your Saves list
St. Thomas   |
Traverse City, MI
“Another week in Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

This was our third visit to Villa Fantasia, and, again, we found it to be home base for a most relaxing vacation. We brought along our two sons and one of their friends, all mid-20s. The three suites worked well to give quiet and privacy in the evening. We always take the "rock" suite, it's the best!
You definitely want to rent a vehicle when you go. I would recommend Dependable Car Rental. They will pick you up and return you to the airport. Remember - drive on the left. The villa is located about 20-25 minutes from the airport and Charlotte Amalie. The final road up to the villa will challenge your mettle the first time you do it, but it gets easier each time, and when you get to the top it is worth it, big time!!!
From the villa at the top of Cabrita Point, you have a 360 dgree view, (starting north and going clockwise) taking in Red Hook, some of the British Virgin Islands, St Johns, Great St James Island, (on a clear day) St Croix - 20 miles away,and look down upon the Ritz.
Most of our days were similar. Get up, have coffe on the pool deck while reading and watching the sun come up over St Johns, have breakfast, pack a lunch, go to the beach, come home (the villa feels like "home" immediately), play in the pool, relax and bed so we will be ready to do it all over again tomorrow. A nice addition this trip was the wi-fi and HD tv with full cable. No need to go to the internet cafe in Red Hook this time. If you are going to cook in, the prices are cheaper in Charlotte Amalie than Red Hook. A favorite dining place to eat in Red Hook is Molly Malones. This trip we ate at the Mexican restaurant above Molly's and it was great.
Favorite beaches - on St Thomas: Meagan's Bay (stop at Udder Delite for the world's best shakes), Cocoa, and Sapphire. on St Johns: Trunk, Hawks Nest, Leinster, and Salt Pond Bay. This was the first time we visited Salt Pond Bay and it immediately moved to #1 on our list, secluded with great snorkeling. It is a bit of a walk from the parking area, but well worth it.
As usual, one day was for shopping in Charlotte Amalie. This is where my wife now buys her larger pieces of jewelry. Man-suggestion, bring a book. My wife has learned to not buy any thing until she has covered the full street to compare prices. Cardow's has the best selection (and AC-seating for me) with good prices, but she has often found great pieces at great prices in the small shops found on the streets and in the alleys. Prices will be lowered several times as you bargain, and don't be afraid to quote a good price you received in another store.
The boys found plenty of night life in the Red Hook, but I couldn't tell you where since we were always asleep when they came home.
Because we have been there before, we didn't require much of Mike, the carefaker, but he stopped by several times to make sure everything was meeting our needs. The laundary was well-stocked and Mike kept the bottled-water well supplied. The boys met Jen, the concierge. and apprecieated the suggestions she gave them.
The only negative was the mosquitoes. This was the first time we went during the rainy season. It didn't rain on us, but it had earlier, leaving standing water for mosquito-breeding. Mike helped up by supplying repellent.
One last suggestion - pack light; swimsuits, shorts, shirts, sandals, and, most importantly, snorkeling gear. Leave your worries and cares at home. The Virgin Islands offer a great place to vacation and Villa Fantasia is the perfect place to stay while there. We are already looking forward to our next visit.

Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Dover,Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

Just returned fron a 10 day trip to Villa Fantasia and it was awsome! It was our second visit, the first was in 2007 and we are already planning our next visit. I have traveled all over the caribbean and can say without a doubt, the view from there is second to none. As with all small islands the roads leading up to Fantasia can seem menacing, especially when you are "staying left" but it becomes second hand in no time. We rented a van as there were 6 of us and it worked out perfect and inexpensive too. The caretakers who live on site were wonderful and saw to all our needs... and then some! There were several renovations done since our last visit making it even nicer...remodled kitchen and bedroom and new flat screen televisions throughout (not that you have much time to watch tv) and they had wireless internet for those who needed it. Most of our mornings were spent by the pool looking out at St. John and the evenings in the hot tub looking out over St. Thomas. The days were filled with snorkeling, boating and shopping. What a life, I hated to come back to reality. I would highly recommend Villa Fantasia to anyone but especially those who want to share a little piece of paradise.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

Great views, but definitely in need of updates. The owner who travels there regularly should be well aware of these updates. Screen doors are ripped, probably due to 'Lil Caribbean Joe' - this is the resident mouse. The name we gave him. Actually I don't blame the mouse he has a good gig going he eats like a king. We unfortunately got up one morning to several items of food that were closed up but he got to them. The utensils and kitchen items were pretty grungy and in need of replacement. We encountered some rain and the millipedes (I guess that is what they call them) are all over the floors and there was quite a bit of standing water in the open corridor area leading to the bedrooms. The bathrooms had some mold around the bottom of the bathtubs. This we felt was not to healthy. We did not have hand soap provided for us in the bathrooms. This may sound petty but I asked ahead of time and was told this and other amenities would be provided but were not. I have rented villas before and this one was definitely not one of the better choices. Be aware also - we had 6 people in our group and had a van. They don't bother to tell you about the almost nearly impaasable road that you have to endure to get to this villa. There are areas that are so washed out that we thought we might not make it up. You really need a 4-wheel drive- like a jeep-something high off the ground. If they would fix this road properly it would be worth the stay. Don't believe the website that says it is a five minute walk to Secret Harbour Beach. It is a 10 minute drive. Latitude 18 a great well kept secret restaurant is also a 10 minute ride away. Beware the road leading to Latitude 18 is just as crappy. The onsite caretaker never once cleaned the pool and am not really sure why they are even there. It is a shame because there are a lot of little inexpensive things that could be done and this place would be great. The view is one of the best I have seen from any villa I have rented. The website actually should update their pictures. There are actually some new things put in the house. It does have a brand new flat screen T.V. , CD Player and DVD Player. I hope they fix these things - I then would go back, especially the road.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
IslandFather, Owner at Villa Fantasia, responded to this review, September 30, 2009
I designed and built Villa Fantasia with the goal of providing our guests a vacation they will long remember. My wife and I personally manage the rental of the villa with the help of two caretakers and a Villa Concierge. We appreciate and encourage constructive comments that will improve our villa and our services. I believe the comments and referrals that are posted on our website speak to the success of our efforts.
I have tried many times to contact the author of the review of June 2009 but she has not responded to any of my e-mails.
The issues noted in the review of June 2009 were addressed immediately.
The caretakers who managed the villa during the time of that review now have a new baby boy and they decided that caring for their new baby should come first. Thus they moved on and we now have new caretakers who started in July 2009 who are excellent and very focused on our goal of providing excellent service.
I encourage all new potential guests to review the many comments on our web site from past guests and contact them with you questions.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2003

My wife, myself, and 2 other couples visited St. Thomas and stayed at Villa Fantasia this past week. We had absolutely great time and the house was extraordinary. The other review on Villa Fantasia was a complete shock to me because we thought the house and service was great! We would definitely go back to that house and also recommend it to anyone looking for the complete package.

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2003

We stayed at Villa Fantasia at the end of March, 2003. The Villa had a great view, but is in need of many updates. I found 2 mice in the Rock bedroom and there were traces of mice in the Kitchen as well. Some of the sliding glass doors in the bedrooms and living room didn't lock and others didn't open. The security system was also in need of repair. The pool and deck area were very spacious and afforded much relaxation and beautiful views. Skip this rental until updates are made....there are many other villas to choose from. The New Horizons II Tour was a lot of fun and the captain and crew were very friendly. The Baths at Virgin Gorda are a must see.

Been to Villa Fantasia? Share your experiences!