“Way better than the Marriott” 4 of 5 stars

5 Estate Bakkeroe, St. Thomas
+1 340-715-2583
Improve this listing
Ranked #21 of 180 restaurants in St. Thomas
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night, Dessert
Description: “Tropical serenity meets cutting-edge chic.” These descriptive words spoken by co-owner, Nicole Horstmeyer, best describe the company vision of Blue Shore Grill which owns and operates the Frenchman’s Reef & Marriott Morning Star Beach Resort’s hottest restaurant – HAVANA BLUE. Overlooking Morning Star Beach, HAVANA BLUE is by far the island’s most sought after restaurant. The stunning décor features an eclectic mix of New York, South Beach and the Caribbean style to create a hip, yet approachable vibe. The restaurant’s cuisine combines authentic Cuban and Latin dishes with exotic spices and tangy sauces from the Pacific Rim. All of this, combined with the restaurant’s oceanfront location, creates a culinary experience unlike any other in the Caribbean.
Redwood City
“Way better than the Marriott”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed at Frenchman's Reef Marriott for our honeymoon. Havana Blue was just a short walk down the beach from where our room was. The atmosphere was great, with a location right on the water. Our waiter was friendly and did a good job explaining the specials and making sure our water stayed topped off. The price was high for the food, but that is to be expected when visiting an island like St. Thomas since they import everything. Compared to other restaurant's on the island charging the same price for similar size meals Havana Blue is good as gold when it comes to a romantic evening. The Marriott boasts 4 restaurants at their hotel but all the food comes from the same kitchen and is mainly cooked in microwaves. I would recommend this place.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
BlueWaterMG, Management at Havana Blue, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Eric,

Thank you so much for your resounding recommendation! We're very pleased to hear that your meal at HAVANA BLUE was as "good as gold." We couldn't ask for better than that. It's great to hear that the service matched, as we want dining with us to be an enjoyalbe experience in every respect. We'd love to see you again, should you ever return to St. Thomas. Thank you kindly!

82% Recommend
Wausau, Wisconsin
“Great place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband and I ate there after a very trying trip. The food was OK not great, but the atmopspher was perefect. We had a table by the beach side. Even though it was dark and we couldn't see much the sound of the waves made ruff start of our trip go away.

Thank you Lindasay A for giving us a great place to eat with out a reservation.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Diane,

We're sorry to hear that your trip to the islands was trying and we sincerely hope it got better as your visit continued. It's great to know that Lindsay made your dining experience here at HAVANA BLUE memorable and enjoyable, though. That's the kind of tone we want to set for our guests. Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to see you again some time, after what will hopefully be a much better trip. Thanks for the lovely review!

CHATTANOOGA, TN
“Great Food, Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We had the pleasure of eating at Havana Blue last weekend on our honeymoon. We had the most excellent bar service from "Denise". After our second bottle of Veuve Cliquot we headed off for 4 amazing courses.

We will definitely return again.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
BlueWaterMG, Management at Havana Blue, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
We're honored that you spent your honeymoon with us here at HAVANA BLUE! Enjoying a couple bottles of Veuve Cliquot is certainly a great way to celebrate. Congratulations to the two of you. We can't wait for the next opportunity to see you, and here's to many great years together.

Carmel, Indiana
“Terrible Service, What a Disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My wife and I were super excited about going to Havana Blue for dinner during our Honeymoon. We made reservations for 6:30pm, when we got there the restaurant was empty; however they put us in the back of the restaurant with no view and a table that barely sat 2. I asked to move to one of the tables with a view and they told us no that all those tables had been reserved. I said fine we will just come back later in the week when we can get a better table. They then found us a table with a view. We there for 1 hour during this time all the tables that had the great views never had anyone occupy them.......so why could we have not sat there??
I saw a sign that said buy 1 well drink get 1 free, so when we ordered our drinks the waitress Denise (very rude and no customer service skills) said that's only if we sit at the bar. I said fine why does the sign not say that, she said don't know and walked away.......Our food was actually pretty good, over priced though. Twice I had to get up and look for Denise or a Hostess to ask for refills of water and our bottle of wine that we bought, for some reason they kept at the bar and not on our table. Each time I asked for something they seem very annoyed at us. I ordered a dessert drink from the menu, Denise said we don't have that drink I said it's on your menu she grabbed the menu from me and said that's an old menu. She handed me a new menu and the drink was still listed, but the price was $2 more. I said I want this drink and for the price I saw it for on the first menu, she said fine. I went to the restroom and again saw 3 more different signs advertising the drink special buy 1 well drink get 1 free.....When I got back I asked to speak with a manager, he came over never gave me his name, I explained everything to him and how disappointed we were about everything, he said ok let me check something and walked away......he never came back just took off 1 of the well drinks we had....I didn't ask for anything, I was also charged the extra $2 bucks for the dessert drink. How rude that the manager never came back, never apologized........We spent almost $200.....what a waste of money and time on our Honeymoon. ST. THOMAS HAS WAY TO MANY OTHER GREAT RESTAURANTS WITH BETTER FOOD AND BETTER SERVICE. DON'T WAIST YOUR TIME OUR MONEY!!!!!

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Great food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We dined here on our honeymoon while staying at the Marriott. The ambience is very South Beach which isn't our taste but still very nice to have beach views while dining. The food and the service were both excellent. My husband had the snapper with chorizo which was one of our favorite entrees of the entire trip. Would highly recommend!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
BlueWaterMG, Management at Havana Blue, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Elizbeth,

We're happy to hear that you enjoyed yourselves so much, even though the initial atmosphere didn't seem like your scene. We couldn't ask for a bigger compliment than your favorite entree of the trip being one you had at HAVANA BLUE! You recommendation is much appreciated, and we hope to see you again any time you return to St. Thomas. Thanks again!