“A decent little restaurant in Frenchtown” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Austrian
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Herndon, Virginia
“A decent little restaurant in Frenchtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We went to Bella Blu with our son and girlfriend for dinner in November 2012. The restaurant was not very busy with only about 3 tables, but it was early, They have a good amount of German food on the menu, and German beer. I had a sausage platter which was excellent, and everyone else's meal was great. Good wine selection, fairly reasonable prices, and a very attentive staff. Of with only 3 tables active you would expect the staff to be very attentive.

Visited November 2012

84% Recommend
“Good service, ok food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Went on Saturday afternoon, without reservations. Service was great, very attentive staff. The appetizers are very small, individual portions. The portion of the main dish was very reasonable. The food was ok, but none of us 4 were impressed. The restaurant is for "fine dining", so it is pricey, and you might feel unconfortable in shorts.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
maryland
“OK, It's Not a Caribbean Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

But It's only a short walk to the fresh fish market, and to the harbor at Charlotte Amalie. At the bar, you'll find locals mostly, a few tourists, and a raft of repeat customers who come for quality, consistency, and freshly-prepared traditional Euro-centric dishes served by experienced and accommodating servers.

I confess I get more than a fair share of Caribbean-influenced fare when I'm on island [maybe 3 times a year for the last 30]. So for me Bella Blu is a special treat: crispy, grease-free schnitzel sauced perfectly. I can get my salt cod and fungi elsewhere, but for a hearty lunch or dinner I'm at Bella Blu. Or at their next-door pizza place [Pie Whole] for the best hand-thrown pizza on the island -- and without a doubt the largest craft beer collection.

You can't say this about many restaurants on St. T -- but Bella Blu is actually better than home.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
St. Thomas
“"Yum"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Good food, good service. Best steak on Island in my opinion, drinks are well made. Service is quick & the staff is very attentive & accomodating. strongly recommend you try this lovely restaurant.

Visited August 2012
Annapolis, Maryland
“Nice Schnitzel but where was the Caribbean Flare?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I'm hesitant to even write this review considering all the super reviews for this restaurant, but I have to call it like I see it.

I found the menu confusing. Bella Blu markets itself as an Austrian restaurant, but the menu seemed more like a hodge podge of German, Greek, Italian, and American food. That's fine, it's just not what I was expecting. Their tagline is "Austrian Cuisine with a Caribbean Flare". I didn't see hardly anything on the menu of a Caribbean nature.

The garlic bread was tasty. For entree, I had the sun-dried tomato pesto with penne pasta. It was good, but it was not beyond anything I could get at a local chain.

On a better note, my husband had the schnitzel with Linzer sauce and he thoroughly enjoyed it. He said it was worth returning for. He would give Bella Blu a 3.5 rating if it were allowed.

Our waitress was courteous and helpful, especially with the wine. She was efficient without being overbearing.

For ambiance, I found the restaurant to be too dark. It was difficult to read the menu, and even getting a good look at the food wasn't the easiest.

Perhaps I simply ordered the wrong thing and that prevented me from experiencing the best the restaurant had to offer. But if it weren't for my husband dragging me back there for the schnitzel, I probably wouldn't return.

• Visited September 2012