“Beautiful Sunset View” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Albany, New York
“Beautiful Sunset View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

There is a happy hour special where there is a long list of items available for $5 each. Needless to say our group of 4 had such a good time We just kept ordering food and drinks and watched the sunset. Some of the items were better than others but it was a fun tapas/small plates type of evening. Strongly recommend this happy hour special menu and enjoy the sunset.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

St. Thomas
“Can't beat the view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

The food is excellent, the staff is professional. You have a choice of sitting inside or out. Bartender Steve is a true mixologist behind the bar. They have a great happy hour with $5 appetizers straight from the dinner menu. We often just go for happy hour to watch the sunset and enjoy the ambiance. Bluebeard's Castle is on the property which is a 330 year old true Castle. A museum is currently being created inside. If you ask around you may be able to get a tour. The views from the castle are spectacular.

Visited March 2013
Fairfield
“The name says it all”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

"Room with a View" is one of two nice restaurants on the Bluebeard's Castle property. It overlooks the town of Charlotte Amalie, hence the name; and the view is spectacular. The menu isn't extensive, but all over the place. They have very nice appetizers, so you can make a sort of tapas meal, if that is your bent. I had a filet mignon ($36), which was cooked perfectly, and a glass of Argentinian malbec. My wife did the appetizer thing, and had tapanade and lobster bisque.
The place is classy and tastefully decorated. The service was impeccable and timely. My filet was cook perfectly, as was the asparagus. My wife wasn't feeling well, and ended up getting her food packed up to go. She ate it the next night and even microwaved she said t was the best she'd ever had.
They also have "adult milkshakes" on the menu, which make for a nice little booze/dessert combination. Pretty cool for $10. They also have an incredible wine collection, and some very nice selections by the glass.
I won't give a place more than 4 stars unless I've had multiple meals, or I'm with a large group with a variety of orders. When I get back to St. Thomas, I have little doubt I will go there again. If I had any complaints, it would be the noise levels. It has a lot of hard surfaces, so voices tend to bounce. I like eating in a more quiet setting, but that's a rarity these days.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“AWFUL!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We made reservations to sit outside so we could eat while enjoying the sunset. My view was the alley with trash cans and chickens. When we get there the older woman at the front greeted us with we need you to be done by 8 due to we have a large party outside. The outside is so small! It only seats 10 people. The greeting should have been a sign of things to come. We decide to go ahead and try to make the best of it. As we are looking over the menu they start moving tables literally right beside us to the point I can't hardly get out of my seat. We finally said enough and got up to leave. The same older woman at the front starts with please don't leave and then gets the owner. The owner was very rude and almost seemed put out by having to discuss this issue. We paid for our appetizer and drinks!!! They never offered to take care of the bill. We walked next door and had dinner at the Banana Tree which was excellent by the way. The owner stopped by after our dinner and talked to us for 5 minutes. Highly recommend the Banana Tree Restaurant. DO NOT GO TO ROOM WITH A VIEW!!!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Service was so bad, we never got to order”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My husband and I went for dinner on a Saturday night late. We didn't have reservations so we knew we were taking a gamble. When we told the hostess we hadn't called ahead, she was indignant and approached the owner regarding us. After a hushed conversation, she confirmed that she would seat us. Meanwhile another patron argued loudly at the bar with owner about how awful his tuna was giving us a less than stellar impression of what was ahead.
After waiting an uncomfortable amount of time awkwardly making eye contact with the hostess, she finally acknowledged us again and sat us at a nice table with menus and a wine list. We quickly ascertained what we wanted and waited for our waiter. The first time he came by our table (we had already waited 10 minutes to be greeted), he begged us not to leave him and that he would be right back. An additional 10 minutes went by before he approached our table again. We thought he was coming to address our lack of water/silverware/bread anything but instead he went to the table behind us and began pressuring them into ordering another bottle of wine.
When he reappeared five minutes later and actually spoke to us (without apology for the long wait), the hostess rudely shoved another patron's bill with payment into his hand as he spoke to us. He stated he needed to take care of this and just walked off again without an apology. After waiting half an hour just to get water, we walked out and left without trying anything.
Do not go here unless you want bad pretentious service. It was such a negative experience that we took our business elsewhere.

• Visited March 2013