“Great Value, Great Service” 5 of 5 stars

Frederiksted Hotel
442 Strand St., Frederiksted 00840, St. Croix   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Frederiksted
Pembroke Pines, Florida
“Great Value, Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We went home for seven days. When we arrived, we met Nieves. She is very friendly and hardworking. She showed us to our room and even showed us other rooms allowing us to pick one we liked better. The rooms were very clean and Nieves said to let her know if we needed anything and she would get it for us. This is more like a guest house than a hotel. It was very quiet and peaceful. Esther, the lady who cooks breakfast was also very friendly and helpful. Note, breakfast is not complementary however it is hot and made to order. There is free wireless internet in the court yard, the second floor and the office. Nieves and the hotel's owner were so accommodating, they allowed me to set up my laptop in the office so that I could teach my classes online. This alone I found to be wonderful!
Our room had a mini fridge, an extra large microwave, a counter top stove with two burners, and the pots and pans needed for cooking. If there was anything else we needed, Nieves would have gotten it for us. This hotel is very budget friendly and the view of the ocean is lovely.

Room Tip: If you would like an ocean view let Nieves know. This hotel is on the water front just a walk away...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Ennis, MT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at the Frederiksted Hotel for a week in Feb. not many guests, a good thing because the hotel only has one employee who does everything! The owner lives in Denmark, so the employee has to get everything approved by long distance. The rooms are clean, Nieves, the manager/housekeeper is one of the hardest working employees we have ever seen. If you are looking for a good bargain in a hotel without a lot os amenities, this is the place for you. Only one t.v. station works, Wi fi works in some rooms or in the lobby. It is within walking distance to most attractions in Frederiksted and right across from the lovely harbor. The beaches are a good walk from the hotel.

Room Tip: If you like a beautiful view of the harbor and sunsets, book on the sea side.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
West Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I actually liked this hotel. The location allowed us 3 guys to snorkel just outside the hotel, go to beach bars and explore downtown. There was a local bakery 2 minutes from our room. The hotel was outdated, but interesting. The staff when we got there was very friendly. The view from the room was great.

Only real negative was breakfast there. I've heard of "island time" and expect it when I go to the islands, but this was crazy. There were probably 10 people at the restaurant when we came downstairs. I ordered pancakes and recieved my food in 45 minutes, but my friends who both ordered the corn beef and eggs took (and I am not exaggerating) 2 hours. I am not sure why we didn't decide to leave, although it became funny at the end. They kept saying 5 more minutes.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
chilliwest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I remember visiting St. Croix with my family many years back and staying at this hotel. It was wonderful. I visited St. Croix two years ago (always a treat). The island is so pretty and the beaches are so welcoming and magnetic. Spend a few hours at their beaches and you will sleep really good. Natural sleeping therapy. Ok, back to the hotel. I felt like I was in a half-way house. There was no desk attendant after 8 pm. The hotel could be a gem again but it will take a new owner with deep pockets and class. I remember when they had live jazz at their outside restaurant. It was really cool.

• Stayed November 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

We went there for carnival, the location is central, couldnt find transportation, not too far from the projects, hotel room had a refridge that need defrosting, the microvave was old and dented, sink in the wrt bar area a bit dated, counters definately dated, the bathroom small and the celing leaked, housekeeping did not do a great job at cleaning the bathroom, the ac was a choore to get it regulated, balcony room overlooking the street and warerfront, resturant only opened for breakfast, nothing else.The shower did run cold on several occasions, at one point I thought the toilet was going to overflow. Bed spread smelt a bit old if you know what I mean

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Joachim V, Manager at Frederiksted Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Thanks for the review. We know the street can be noisy at night, but we changed all the windows to the street with insulated lownoise windows. We are not a resort - no - but like you say, an intown hotel, with all the bad and good things that comes with that.
We sure hope to see you and your family again.
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

This is a great little hotel in a wonderful location in downtown Frederiksted. If you are expecting a resort, yes you will be disappointed, but if you want a clean hotel with friendly staff in a great location then this is the place. The rooms are clean and basic with a fridge, TV and AC. The ocean view rooms are great, but due to the hotel's location on The Strand can be a little noisy at night (did not, however, keep me up). The staff is helpful and the breakfast in the mornings in the courtyard (not included but cheap) is simple but good. The pool was small and had a few leaves floating on it but was still refreshing in the afternoons....but a great public beach is just a short walk from the hotel. There are several great restaurants and bars within walking distance (Lost Dog Pub, Le St. Tropez, Turtles Deli, Ono's).

Not a four start resort but good, cheap hotel worth checking out as long as that is what you are looking for.

• Liked — Great location, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Basic accomodations
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Winter Haven, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

I arrived for a week's stay at the Frederiksted Hotel around 7pm on a Monday night. There was no one on duty at the front desk and the office was locked up tight. Good thing I was staying with friends who already had my room key!!

The room, though adequate (two full-size beds, mini refrigerator, microwave, bathroom, TV/Cable) had numerous problems. The sheets kept sliding around on the beds (no fitted sheets or mattress pad). The water pressure in the shower was nonexistent and what little water there was from the shower head ended up on the bathroom floor. The cable went out after the second day - and there was no way to fix it, according to the staff. The microwave didn't heat the leftover restaurant food at all. Maid service was nonexistent - I made the beds myself just to keep the room neat. I was lucky to get enough fresh towels when I asked for them. If I didn't check the towels provided, I was invariably shorted a few bath towels.

The attached restaurant provides standard American breakfasts (eggs, omelets, pancakes) only - no lunch or dinner. The food was overpriced ($10/person average for food and drink) for what we got and the service was slow (who spends 90 minutes at breakfast?). To be honest, when we were the only ones in the restaurant, we were only there for an hour (and I eat fast).

On the bright side, the location is great. Outside the room window is a view of the ocean (if you can see through the trees landscaping the road and sidewalk path). There is a bit of road noise in the mornings, so bring earplugs if you need quiet. If you have no car, you can easily walk around Frederiksted and the fantastic beaches there. Of course, to get anywhere else on the island, you need to take a car, cab, or bus.

We paid $140 a night, and that was with a discount (we were attending a wedding). I would definitely go back to St Croix and stay in the Frederiksted area again - but NOT at this hotel. Not unless the management changes, the rooms are renovated, and/or the price drops dramatically.

Hope this helps!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else!!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frederiksted
Hotel on the Cay
The Buccaneer -- St Croix
The Buccaneer -- St Croix
#2 of 16 in Christiansted
4.5 of 5 stars 938 reviews

Been to Frederiksted Hotel? Share your experiences!