“When I was a kid, this was a really nice hotel.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Frederiksted Hotel

The Frederiksted Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Frederiksted
The Frederiksted Hotel
Save Saved
You added The Frederiksted Hotel to your Saves list
442 Strand St., Frederiksted 00840, St. Croix   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Frederiksted
chilliwest
“When I was a kid, this was a really nice hotel.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011 via mobile

I remember visiting St. Croix with my family many years back and staying at this hotel. It was wonderful. I visited St. Croix two years ago (always a treat). The island is so pretty and the beaches are so welcoming and magnetic. Spend a few hours at their beaches and you will sleep really good. Natural sleeping therapy. Ok, back to the hotel. I felt like I was in a half-way house. There was no desk attendant after 8 pm. The hotel could be a gem again but it will take a new owner with deep pockets and class. I remember when they had live jazz at their outside restaurant. It was really cool.

• Stayed November 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

We went there for carnival, the location is central, couldnt find transportation, not too far from the projects, hotel room had a refridge that need defrosting, the microvave was old and dented, sink in the wrt bar area a bit dated, counters definately dated, the bathroom small and the celing leaked, housekeeping did not do a great job at cleaning the bathroom, the ac was a choore to get it regulated, balcony room overlooking the street and warerfront, resturant only opened for breakfast, nothing else.The shower did run cold on several occasions, at one point I thought the toilet was going to overflow. Bed spread smelt a bit old if you know what I mean

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Joachim V, Manager at The Frederiksted Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Thanks for the review. We know the street can be noisy at night, but we changed all the windows to the street with insulated lownoise windows. We are not a resort - no - but like you say, an intown hotel, with all the bad and good things that comes with that.
We sure hope to see you and your family again.
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

This is a great little hotel in a wonderful location in downtown Frederiksted. If you are expecting a resort, yes you will be disappointed, but if you want a clean hotel with friendly staff in a great location then this is the place. The rooms are clean and basic with a fridge, TV and AC. The ocean view rooms are great, but due to the hotel's location on The Strand can be a little noisy at night (did not, however, keep me up). The staff is helpful and the breakfast in the mornings in the courtyard (not included but cheap) is simple but good. The pool was small and had a few leaves floating on it but was still refreshing in the afternoons....but a great public beach is just a short walk from the hotel. There are several great restaurants and bars within walking distance (Lost Dog Pub, Le St. Tropez, Turtles Deli, Ono's).

Not a four start resort but good, cheap hotel worth checking out as long as that is what you are looking for.

• Liked — Great location, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Basic accomodations
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Winter Haven, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

I arrived for a week's stay at the Frederiksted Hotel around 7pm on a Monday night. There was no one on duty at the front desk and the office was locked up tight. Good thing I was staying with friends who already had my room key!!

The room, though adequate (two full-size beds, mini refrigerator, microwave, bathroom, TV/Cable) had numerous problems. The sheets kept sliding around on the beds (no fitted sheets or mattress pad). The water pressure in the shower was nonexistent and what little water there was from the shower head ended up on the bathroom floor. The cable went out after the second day - and there was no way to fix it, according to the staff. The microwave didn't heat the leftover restaurant food at all. Maid service was nonexistent - I made the beds myself just to keep the room neat. I was lucky to get enough fresh towels when I asked for them. If I didn't check the towels provided, I was invariably shorted a few bath towels.

The attached restaurant provides standard American breakfasts (eggs, omelets, pancakes) only - no lunch or dinner. The food was overpriced ($10/person average for food and drink) for what we got and the service was slow (who spends 90 minutes at breakfast?). To be honest, when we were the only ones in the restaurant, we were only there for an hour (and I eat fast).

On the bright side, the location is great. Outside the room window is a view of the ocean (if you can see through the trees landscaping the road and sidewalk path). There is a bit of road noise in the mornings, so bring earplugs if you need quiet. If you have no car, you can easily walk around Frederiksted and the fantastic beaches there. Of course, to get anywhere else on the island, you need to take a car, cab, or bus.

We paid $140 a night, and that was with a discount (we were attending a wedding). I would definitely go back to St Croix and stay in the Frederiksted area again - but NOT at this hotel. Not unless the management changes, the rooms are renovated, and/or the price drops dramatically.

Hope this helps!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else!!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
St. Croix
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

Quite dissapointed with this hotel. Had to wait 40 mins after check in for our room to be ready. No hot water and shower head needs to be replaced. Towels and drapes smelled awful and immediately triggered my daughter's allergies. Soap crumpled in my hands. . .asked for another one but still waiting. Power kept tripping which was quite annoying. So frustrated we packed our bags and went home the same night as we lived on the island.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thanks for your response.
We are sorry that your stay turned out this way. About hte waiting time for getting service at the receptions an explanantion could be, that you arrive in the middele of the shift of staff.
When it comes to the water and electricity it is difficult to keep us responsibele, due to the fact that WAPA provides the water and power... and they are certanly not very reliable. We try to use water from cistern when the water from WAPA is bad, but the cistern has properply been to low at the time.
We are sorry for your bad experience in Frederiksted.
/Management
Caguas, Puerto Rico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

I was really disappointed with the Frederiksted Hotel because my husband and I took this trip to celebrate our 5 year wedding anniversary, however there was no real hot water in the shower, the pressure of it was zero and the tub clogged constantly. To say something nice about it, the breakfasts were okay. I had pancakes and my husband eggs. The refrigerator in my room was in excellent conditions and so was the air conditioner. However for that amount of money I expected so much more, at least a clean bathroom with hot running water (I saw a small cockroach on the sink). Well, I am sure for more than $100 a room you can find a better deal someplace else.

Aurora
Caguas, Puerto Rico

• Liked — The view to the ocean and pier. I could see the sunsets.
  • Disliked — The bathroom. No running hot water.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
We are sorry that your stay turned out this way.
To our defense I must say, that things have changed since you was here. At the time there was several rebuildings at the hotel and that might have caused some of the trouble. Waterpressure and clogs are working fine today and several improvements have been made to the rooms and surroundings of the hotel since then.
/Management
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2007

I stayed two weeks at this hotel. It is clean with a nice pool and a great breakfast. If your goal is to be downtown and see the water front, this is a fine place to stay. Nearby restaurants offer Crucian and American fine cuisines. I especially reccommend the Blue Moon.

Stayed February 2007

Been to The Frederiksted Hotel? Share your experiences!