“a summer visit to Sand Castle On The Beach” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sand Castle on the Beach Hotel

You added Sand Castle on the Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Sand Castle on the Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   127 Smithfield | Frederiksted Beach, Frederiksted 00840, St. Croix   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Frederiksted B&B and Inns
New York
“a summer visit to Sand Castle On The Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I just returned from a summer visit to Sand Castle On The Beach, where I am a repeat guest. I must tell you about summer at Sand Castle and on St. Croix. Firstly, the quality of service, the generous hospitality from the entire staff, and the superb cuisine in their restaurant, as always, were on the mark. Secondly, I met nothing but the happiest guests I've ever encountered anywhere!.All simply thrilled with Sand Castle and their discovery. I was proud to boast of my many winter and fall visits and enjoyed making appropriate suggestions as to what to do on St. Croix. And finally I must tell you about the weather: 87, very low humidity and non-stop island trade winds almost identical to my late Feb. visit. The water was crystal clear every day for 2 weeks and I snorkeled right there to my heart's content. So, against many friends comments as to why would you go to St. Croix in the summer: I had plenty to tell them and change their attitude toward summer in the islands. All were jealous of my spectacular weather as they were suffocating from heat and humidity in the no.east. So, do not ever hesitate to visit Sand Castle in the summer, it was a little bit of heaven!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Just returned from an engagement trip to St. Croix and stayed at Sand Castles for a week. The property is small but intimate and the staff was very friendly. When looking at more pricey properties on the island, they did not measure up to this. The beach is lovely and the rooms are comfortable (but a bit dated). I did not eat lunch/ dinner here but the continental breakfast was adequate. Best to enjoy the local food and beverage offerings for meals. Overall, this was a nice stay for a less than luxurious beach getaway.

Be careful straying too far down from the Sand Castles beach area, as one of the local housing projects is literally down the road (less than 1 mile away)!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the beach/ ocean. the views are great!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

A friend who lives part-time on the island recommended this resort. I been here once before for a beach day and liked it then. This time I stayed here for a week, and besides the sun burn I got early on, I had a great time. This place has that tropical feel, with nice rooms/grounds, friendly and helpful staff, nice amenities (located right on the beach, two pools, bar/restaurant). I should also mention that since the resort is on the west side of the island, it is the perfect location to watch the sunset. The other guests were friendly as well, which made my stay there enjoyable. I had befriended one of the staff, and he took me and my friend out for rides and tours through the island in his spare time. He took other people out as well. The hotel offers complimentary continental breakfast that consists of pastries, coffee, and juices. It was fine for me since I'm not really a breakfast person. If you want real breakfast, you will have to go elsewhere or wait till Sunday when they do brunch (recommended!). Other than that, the area is generally quiet. You may find the hotel/beach busy when a cruise ship is docked in nearby Frederiksted (happened only once when I was staying there).

I also should mention that since the last time I visited the island five years ago, both big cities Christiansted and Frederiksted, have seemed to died down. There were definitely fewer shops and restaurants than before.

In conclusion, if you are looking for a beautiful Caribbean island for quiet, relaxation, and activities (snorkeling, scuba, etc.), then this is your place. If you are looking for a wild nightlife with a lot of partying, not so much.

Room Tip: My room was located in the main area on the ground floor (hotel has more rooms across the road). Th...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
drgoldin90
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

We are recently back from a long weekend on St. Croix and we stayed at the Sand Castle. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable with a nice view of the ocean. The food at the restaurant was fantastic for lunch and dinner but the "continental breakfast" was pastry and bagels only with some juice. The staff was friendly and helpful in every way. Just as an aside - If you are going to St. Croix to dive it is not the most convenient location because dive boats do not leave from the location and a car or taxi is needed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
grafton, wi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed here March 11-16 and it's one of the best hotels we've ever stayed at. The service is second to none,the restaurant has fabulous and reasonably priced food, the property is gorgeous and the snorkeling right off the beach is good!
We initially were in one of the efficiencies across the road, which I thought were very lovely - had their own private pool and beautiful courtyard. We realized the refrigerator did not work, so on the second day we asked the front desk if it could be fixed. We then went to the fabulous St Patrick's Day parade in Christiansted (my husband played with his band at a bar there). When we returned, they told us we had been upgraded to a one bedroom with oceanview!!! The service is second to none - they do everything to try to make you happy! Loved Janey, Nicole, Monica, Shamika (hope I remembered the names correctly).
The restaurant had top notch food and very reasonable prices! I had blackened Mahi with fresh pineapple and coconut rice - one of the best meals I've ever had!!! Their lunches were wonderful as well!
We're snorkelers, so we didn't use the pool much - I prefer to swim in the ocean when I can. We saw a huge octopus ~15 feet from the shore and lots of pretty fishes!!
The rooms are lovely - not cookie-cutter - very clean and with beautiful furniture! I posted pictures of them - see for yourself!! The upgraded room was very spacious with a great balcony with ocean views! I loved listening to all of the birds in the morning and evening!
I can't say enough about this wonderful, beautiful, very accomodating hotel - it is paradise found!

Room Tip: Ocean views are excellent, although the efficiencies are very nice as well, having their own private...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Greenville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

My partner and I were visiting for our 25th anniversary. Wish we would have booked a longer stay because the week went by too fast. We stayed in one of the villas and it was well worth the money. The villa was clean, roomy and we never had a problem with noise. Get yourself to one of the grocery stores located near town to stock up on goodies if you choose to cook or take advantage of the grill on the patio. The restaurants food (Beachside Cafe) was very good ( never had a bad meal) and the drinks are usually strong if made by Scott, so by all means try one of their rum specialty drinks. The beach was great and never had a problem with crowding. We came just after the high season in early May so the cruise ships had stopped arriving in Fredriksted. Fredriksted is deserted most of the time if there are no cruise ships in port, but do take advantage of the sights there as well as the good restaurants. Blue Moon was wonderful and had Jazz the night we came to dine. Turtles Deli is a must for HUGE deli sandwiches ( split one ) if you normally eat regular sized sandwiches, or take the other half back to the room for another meal later. Yes, they are that BIG! Polly's in Fredriksted had healthy options for breakfast fare. The only place we felt was sketchy was the boat ramp/fish market area, tough looking locals hang there all day. Never saw any fish there so don't think it has been one for quite some time. We rented a car and it really is the best way to go, especially if you want to visit other parts of the Island. Was not a problem driving on the left, you get used to it quite fast. The staff and people we met at Sandcastles on the Beach were all friendly and helpful. They all made our stay that much more enjoyable. Don't stay here expecting fancy hotel amenities, they have all the basics no-frill necessities we needed. Just ask at the desk for their recommendation on places to see, restaurants to visit and fun things to do. Most of all, I promise you that you will feel relaxed by the first day and that feeling lasts until you board that plane home. If it's your birthday while visiting, ask Bruno to sing you his rendition of that song, he is quite talented and with a funny personality all it's own. We are planning our return trip and Sandcastles will be our choice again.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for the villas, you won't regret it.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Denmark, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

When my husband picked the Sand Castle on the Beach, I had my reservations: he doesn't have a great record on this account. However, both of us really loved the atmosphere, the location (hey, it's *on* a quiet stretch of swimmable beach), the amenities (e.g., the outfitted kitchen; outdoor restaurant), and the physical space. Two things, however, made our paradise complete: every one of the staff is helpful, friendly, and considerate; and it's possible and even encouraged to "power down," so that we were able to make this an utterly relaxing vacation--our first to the Caribbean, by the way. Forget trying out other islands or even other inns: we'll absolutely return to the SCotB!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sand Castle on the Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!