“my many vacations at Sand Castle On The Beach” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sand Castle on the Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sand Castle on the Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Sand Castle on the Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   127 Smithfield | Frederiksted Beach, Frederiksted 00840, St. Croix   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Frederiksted B&B and Inns
New York
“my many vacations at Sand Castle On The Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I stay at Sand Castle 3 times a year and have done so for the past 17yrs. What a joy! The incredible on the beach location, the accomodations, the sunsets, the restauarnt, are all just a little bit of heaven!..Even the continental breakfast is perfect: lots of goodies, fresh juice, and the best damn coffee day after day, and all set up (protected from the precious birds) right in their open air diningroom on the beach. I can't say enough about my little peice of heaven right there in the blue-breen Carinbbean. Jeffrey Zeiner NYC

Room Tip: shoot for a view of the ocean
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

183 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Waterford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I wish I hadn't given this place such a glowing review last year so I could comparatively show just how much more fabulous it is now. A new chef at the adjacent restaurant,Beach Side Cafe, treated us to mouthwatering delights (especially the bang-bang shrimp, and pear-infused 4-cheese tortelini!) and it's now open 5 nights a week and 6 days for lunch and yummy drinks. What's more, I treated myself to a massage by Simone. More than heaven! She taught me to exhale one beat more than the inhale, and to relax every muscle "with complete abandon." Seriously, it's something I keep practicing. The staff is gracious and fun, and the place is small enough that you quickly know most guests by first name. Just a wonderful, wonderful place for my husband and me to celebrate another wedding anniversary. And we've already booked our dates for next year!

Room Tip: We love the villas, though they are pricier.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Michigan, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

the location of this hotel is fabulous. owners and most staff are very friendly. Stayed one week alone and second week niece joined me. Bed was kinda hard, roll-away bed was horrible (huge sag in middle). Noticed roof leaked during hard rain, told front desk but nothing done; fortunately it only leaked one other time (yes, onto the roll-away bed). Light needed bulb replaced, told front desk but they did not do anything.
Maid service daily was great, very clean and friendly.
Beach location was extremely clean and beautiful.
Restaurant (Beach side cafe) was a 4 or 5 star; very very very good food for lunch and dinners.

Room Tip: If possible, get a room overlooking garden or ocean (we had a perfect view of parking lot).
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Columbus, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

This is largely in response to the 2/12/12 one star review because that person brought up some interesting points. I rented an apartment on STX for 2 months, rather isolated, went to a hotel a few times for a pool and so on. Was here at the Sand Castle at the end of June. 1st: electricity rates in STX are insane. Here in Ohio I pay 7.4 kwh. On STX the residentialk rate is 51.9 kwh so the electricity sur-charge is the cost of doing business, shocking, true. Now what I find MOST interesting is THIS: I stayed for 2 nights (well, ONE)....because I was in the "new annex" where there is wifi and the first night was lovely, the SECOND night The Jersey Shore landed on me. Screaming, banging around, everyone barking into cell phones, awful........really REALLY offensive because this property is "sold" as "mature" and "relaxing" and I am not THAT old and could understand ENTHUSIASM but this was three hours of PROLONGED SPRING BREAK-ISH NOISE............and THEN I went to the desk...........and THEN I was offered a room in the old hotel............well, THAT doesn't have wi-fi which I needed..........so I was offerede NOTHING............I checked out and left and went back to the apartment I was living in.............the staff gladly charged me $180 for a room I left at 9pm that night.............and was not very apologetic about it.............Fredriksted is absolutely unsafe at night. Completely. Christiansted is much safer. The beach is lovely here and the sunsets gorgeous. The staff at this hotel learns your name and uses it almost too much. The atmosphere walks a line between welcoming and Stepford.............the property is not so much over-rated as I think the location in unsafe Fredriksted is not disclosed, the fact they DO book "spring breakers" is not disclosed, the fact that there are so few hotels on STX in general and only TWO in Fredriksted is not disclosed which leads the traveller to think the fact this one boasts being "#1" is "something else" when in effect it is NOT..............I was VERY VERY disappointed with how my situation was handled...........the restaurant is good but over-priced even for STX standards............when thinking about booking this one sift through the "praise" and take a long, deep look at location and the bill of goods as DELIVERED..............two recent reviews cannot be wrong regarding the outrageous noise and the ungracious handling of our complaints...................basically, don't sell yourself as something you are not..............bottom line: more than decent with a gorgeous beach, city itself is flat out dangerous after dark, oversold and overhyped.......

Room Tip: Only the new annex has wi-fi..............rooms have paper thin walls, appears some staff members li...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

Our first time at Sand Castle & we were nervous about it but it turned out to be "No Worries, Mon" & a true dream!

We stayed from 2/24-3/2/2012 & have only good memories that keep us wanting for more:

The rooms are nice size & cleaned nicely on the daily, beds are comfy for a restful night sleep. Food at the Beach Side Cafe is cooked by the new "cool chef" was delicious & mouth watering, & I can't forget about my tropical Mango Colada (my favorite drink) made by the new bartender Suzanne Summers look alike! The restaurant is opened at the right times of the days.

Beautiful Sand Castle Caribbean Beach was right by our feet to enjoy! I loved listening to the ocean sounds from our private balcony at night, free parking was conveniently located steps from the hotel, guards made sure they did their job & alerted us when we left our rental car headlights on late one night. Downtown Frederiksted is minutes away and Christiansted is about 30 minutes away so you can enjoy everything the rest of the island has to offer!

Very important, you should know that they have the most friendly staff you can ever meet! I want to thank everyone at Sand Castle for making sure we had no worries & enjoy a true vacation in St Croix! Scott, Simone, Sheryl, Jainy, the chef, Robert & everyone else.

We want to make sure readers with doubt get the most details from our experience at this hotel to help them decide the perfect place for them to stay at in St Croix, but we definitely recommend the stay again & again...before our vacation we didn't have plans for a second over seas vacation but right after we checked out, we excitedly started planning it & can't wait to go back in August! Happy vacation to all! -Tito & Veronica

Room Tip: Depends on your preference you can ask the friendly staff at the front desk to help you choose the p...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Merritt Island, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

The room was lovely - my daughter & I stayed in a suite on the beach side with a deck & kitchen. Could go sit and enjoy the lovely beach. Calm beach, facing west, with swimming and snorkeling available. The sunsets are breathtaking! Food was delicious.

The staff were friendly and helpful, without being intrusive. The others guests were friendly, but again, not intrusive. One waiter has a memory problem, but that is the only criticism.

We came mostly for rest and relaxation and that is what we got! I would return in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: There are a number of suites, and if traveling with family/friends, there are groupings available...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Clinton Township, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

The staff at Sand Castle on the Beach was wonderful, warm and friendly. Anyone would love to have the staff as friends. The rooms were very clean and cozy. The grounds, beach and dinners at the cafe were the best! I believe the best meals on the island are at Sand Castle's Cafe on the Beach. I will cherish my vacation and memories of Sand Castle on the Beach forever. I recommend having a rental car in order to see any other sites on the island too. Thank you to Simone, Sheryl, Erma and all the staff for a wonderful vacation! –Sergio

Room Tip: We had a studio with living room and kitchen the first couple of days and a regular room with sink...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sand Castle on the Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!