“great and only location in st croix” 4 of 5 stars

Holger Danske Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 King Cross Street, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
sugarloaf
“great and only location in st croix”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

There isn't much to see or do in St. Croix but if you are going you must stay in Christiansted next to the waterfront. There are only four hotels on this front and this is one of them. The staff is
great, nice rooms, reasonable prices considering the location, nice pool, and right on the boardwalk. Also, you can take the seaplane almost outside of your room. Loved to walk the boardwalk and sit on the benches watching the people walk by, enjoying the beautiful view. I highly recommend this hotel. I did not eat at any of the restaurants on the boardwalk as I like to eat where the locals go. Found a great place for breakfast on Company Street called the Twin City Cafe. Had spiced oatmeal, fresh squeezed orange juice, then back for lunch for a three salad combo. Open from 7 to 3, one block directly up from the fort.

As to getting there from the airport rather than take a taxi for $20 I hitchhiked a ride to the local
bus stop and took a local bus to the hotel for $2. Since I took the seaplane from the boardwalk
I didn't have to go back to the airport. There is little to do in Christiansted except relax and enjoy the beautiful harbor. Of course, there are snorkeling and boating trips but I snorkeled in Bonaire so didn't go here.

Room Tip: I always ask for an upper room for the fresh air. Make sure the room does not face another wall. B...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
St. Georges Caye
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Stayed 4 nights on business.
Room (one king) and bed adequate. No problems sleeping. However if you are a late riser be aware that the local cockerels like to welcome the dawn.
Water pressure abysmal....have to dance around in the shower to get wet. I believe this problem is not exclusive to this hotel.
Air conditioning good.
Refrigerator, microwave and coffee machine, all OK
Room had a good size balcony with table & two chairs. Ground floor room - no view, however the balcony was "fenced' in with pleasant shrubery. Fine for sitting outside in the evening with a cocktail.
Internet, wired or wireless was terrible and intermittent.
Location of the hotel is excellent if you don't need a sea view, and the boardwalk with all the tourist stuff (and indeed the whole of Christiansted) is easily walkable.
On the boardwalk attached to the hotel is "Angry Nates" restaurant and bar. I ate and drank there frequently, breakfast lunch and dinner. As good as any and better than most on the boardwalk. Friendy staff and live music most evenings which can be quite good.
If you are a (tobacco exclusively) smoker, then the island of St. Croix may not be the place for your next vacation unless you are trying to quit!
Overall, this is a reasonably priced hotel in Christansted and I will stay there again when next visiting - hope they have sorted out the internet by then.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Great located right down to the quay where exotic fish and small sharks swam rounded. Good large rooms, good service. Wonderful to be able to walk right out of the room and into the restaurant when you where you could eat delicious breakfast or excellent good dinner. In evenings in the restaurent there were musical entertainment several nights, Great Jazz and folk music.

Only a few details could be better.

You can use the computer at the front desk for free, but it is very slow. They offer wi-fi but it's slowl or simpely fails. Someone began road close to the hotel several mornings from 5-6 pm, but it was not the hotel's fault. The water in the shower is slow to warm up, but it works. There is no safe in the rooms, so you have to use the ones in the front desk. But if you can live with that i can warmly recommend the place for singels, couples or families.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Boca Raton, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed at the Holger during the first week of December while looking for a long term rental on St Croix. First room I received was being colonized by an army of sugar ants. The front desk staff were great and gave me another room immediately. Street construction was ongoing during my entire stay, so it was an adventure getting to and from my work location to the hotel. I am really grateful that there were numerous bars and restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. All the staff were friendly, but from I could tell this is a favorite spot for the Danish Tourist. Breakfast is served in Angry Nates bar but get there early or you will be waiting for quite awhile. Overall I would stay there again if need arises, but it would not be my first choice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

While I have no complaints about this hotel, I also just found it average. The staff is friendly and helpful. The location is right downtown and I found it to be very quiet which is important to me. I only stayed here for one night and was on business. It meet my needs and was clean and comfortable. The hotel has free parking. There was no elevator, so if you have an issue with stairs keep this in mind. I stayed in room 203 and have no complaints about my room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

The Hotel was average no screen on bathroom window which was 6ft tall just luvars which were broken. had to keep bathroom door closed or your room was full of bugs, hot air. The restaurant which the hotel gave you free $10.00 breakfast coupon per day to eat breakfast. After the 2nd day we went next door and paid for breakfast $10-$12. At Angry Nate's we got lousy coffee if any at all... with a lousy attiude. or told "That will be a problem" when asking for an ice tea. If and when you got a chance to place an order they had an attitude. They might be out of something or the cook was not in the grill was broken they didn't have pancakes. The Manager Bryan was so rude on the second night when two of our friends had just ordered a Samboka and Cognac 3 minutes later he ripped them out of their hands and poured them in to styrafoam cups then 5 min. later came back and told (TOLD not Asked) all four of us to give him back his 4 plastic chairs he was locking them up and had to put them away. 21 of us were there for 6 days after the second day none of us ate in the resteraunt for lunch, dinner, or for drinks. Lets do the math... Lunch, dinner for 21 people.... times 5 days .....at about $25 a person His partners are in Australia and some place else while he's running the business into the ground. The first night I had a $30.00 dollar drink bill I gave the waiter $50 ($20 tip) I allways tip heavy so they remember me. I usually get a warm greeting next time they see me and will allways make sure I'm OK. I took my business elswhere were the people were friendly which was anyplace but there. Angry Nate's stick a fork in it....it's done.

Room Tip: 215 & 315 are the best views everything else is a dungeon
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
South Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We decided to stay at Holger Danske based on it's proximity to S.C.U.B.A and quick eating pre/post diving. We stayed in room 212 which was about 3-4 doors down from Angry Nate's and the boardwalk. I was able to hop off the dive boat still in my wetsuit and in a matter of two minutes walk to my room and shower off/de-salt my bathing suit/wetsuit/fins etc. There was also a little patio outside that we were able to lay out our wet gear to dry off.

We always travel with a sound sleep machine so I can't really attest to the noise too much. If I ever did hear anything though it was the seaplanes but it wasn't a big enough deal to fuss over.

The beds were comfy and the rooms were kept very clean. The fridge was AWESOME and the microwave was convenient even though we never ended up using it. The pool was probably the best part. We were able to grab a drink from angry nates and sit up on the pool and watch the marina, the tarpon in the water, and the sunset. The pool was kept clean and we were in it nightly (unless we were diving).

We only had two cons and they weren't that serious. 1. the bathroom has a window with blinds and no glass so if you're running the AC you have to close the bathroom door. That means if you want to get primped for an evening out you probably can't do it in there as it gets humid. 2. The parking isn't ideal but it's managable. We originally parked on the street right next to the hotel and walked up and around the boardwalk to get to our room. After diving in Frederiksted we parked in the hotel parking (which is only 4-5 spaces) and walked down to our room. Once again, not a big deal.

Overall, we would gladly stay again. You can't beat the price or the convenience to everything. The week that we were staying in STX, Hotel Caravalle would have been an extra $500 which I would have much rather (and did) spend on diving and dinner.

Room Tip: If you are diving with S.C.U.B.A get a room closer to the boardwalk and make sure you stock up on ju...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holger Danske Hotel? Share your experiences!