First, let me start by saying that I have never reported this type of review before and I hope to never have to experience it in the future. Bottom line: watch this place---it may appear to have what you are looking for but BEWARE of JEFF TEEL, the owner.
To piggyback off the gentlemen who had a bad experience when Jeff (the owner) was away, we have followed in his footsteps. My partner and I experienced an up & down rollercoaster ride of events on the property and it continued long after we left. The bottom line is that we did not get the service we were promised and Jeff made it difficult in the end to fulfill his promise of compensation.
In addition, Mr. Teel's letter and sworn affidavit was filled with false/inaccurate information. He lied about trying to contact us via phone to discuss the matter amicably. We learned from our bank that he refused to honor his original offer of compensation on behalf of our stay in March 2012. The St. Croix website has been removed and links you to his property in Maine, so it's possible he sold the property in St. Croix.
For the record…
Below you will find all of the various problems we encountered during our stay in 2012 at Villa Greenleaf (Total of 8 nights):
1) IMPORTANT NOTE: After arriving home to the states, we learned from our credit card company that we were charged the remaining balance of our bill BEFORE our arrival at Villa Greenleaf. Clearly, their policy ON THE WEBSITE THAT IS NOW GONE stated the following: Deposit/Payment Policy: 50% deposit is needed to make a reservation with the balance due upon check out. We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, personal checks and cash. In other words, this was an UNAUTHORIZED transaction. Be careful with this!
2) After one night, we had to downgrade to a smaller, less expensive suite due to a leak/flood in the bathroom. In addition, the pocket door of bathroom in the FIRST room was stuck and did not close. There was no privacy. Asked Joe about it - it was not fixed.
4) Air conditioner was not working first night. Did not get a new remote until the next day AFTER reminding Joe.
5) **PHONES IN BOTH ROOMS DID NOT WORK. In case of an emergency, we could not get a hold of anyone when no one else was on the property (which was often). Not good!!!! No cell service. Did not have Joe's cell number either.
6) We did not have cleaning/room service 4 days out of 8. There was a note on the door one day that there was no cleaning. Other days, no one came at all. On another day, the cleaning person did not arrive/begin cleaning until 5pm and we had to leave the room for her to clean. Very disruptive.
6) TV in BOTH rooms did not have basic channels (NO news, NO weather, etc.).
7) No ceiling fan or lights working in second room patio during the entire stay. After rainfall, there was a leak in the patio area onto chairs.
8) In the middle of the trip, we had to use Joe's computer to complain to the owner, JEFF TEEL because we were told by Joe that Jeff couldn't be reached. We sent an e-mail to Jeff on the property asked him to contact us ASAP. He never called us on the property. We only received an e-mail from him when we arrived back in the states.
9) General lack of service. No professional hospitality or follow through. Joe made it clear that he was NOT MANAGEMENT and was there to keep an eye on the property.
10) After several e-mail exchanges, Jeff offered compensation and never followed through. As mentioned, he lied about leaving a voice mail message in his letter/affidavit. We had to put in a claim with our credit card company regarding the remaining balance which was denied. Be forewarned, most credit card companies fight the claim if you stay during the entire trip! Imagine that…here you are in the middle of your trip trying to find another place to stay, incurring MORE costs if you do AND this guy already charged you the full stay!!!!
11) We did NOT use the two rooms AT THE SAME TIME during our stay. Jeff's big thing was that we had the option of using both rooms. The first room had a flood in the bathroom and we downgraded to the room next to the waiting room and is LESS PER NIGHT. Would you use both rooms when one had a flood in the bathroom???
12) We NEVER, EVER said that “everything was FINE” as stated in his letter and in the affidavit signed by Joe, the MANAGER--again he was the BUDDY keeping any eye on things--not the Manager. We made numerous complaints to Joe.
15) As witnesses, there was another couple who stayed when we did (fighting their own claim) who experienced the same trials and tribulations.
Sadly, it is a beautiful, neglected property and maybe the NEW owners are reading this and can do better by treating patrons with respect. At least be truthful and give the guests a chance to explain their side of the story. Jeff Teel didn't do that...his arrogance and narcissism go the best of him.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of St. Croix, minutes to downtown Christiansted. Our beautifully manicured estate offers luxurious West Indies furnishings in each suite like four-posted mahagony king size beds with seating area. French doors allow for walkout to a private terrace with teak lounge and plantation chairs overlooking the Caribbean sea. Sun by our pool and Jacuzzi after enjoying a full gourmet breakfast. At sunset we offer tropical drinks and hors d ouevres. Car rentals are included in the rate. This is truly affordable luxury at its best. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Villa Greenleaf Hotel Christiansted
- Villa Greenleaf St. Croix/Christiansted, U.S. Virgin Islands