“Nightmare” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Club Commanche

Hotel Club Commanche
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Christiansted
Hotel Club Commanche
You added Hotel Club Commanche to your Saves list
No 1 Srand, Christiansted, St. Croix   |
Ranked #4 of 13 Christiansted B&B and Inns
Republic, Ohio
“Nightmare”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We stayed 11/28/13-12/1/13. I know that sounds harsh but this is our second time back and definitely our last! We had booked a loft room since our daughter was with us. First of all they moved check in from street level up to where the bar area is or was... never bothered to find out more about their bar since we were not there for that. So we had to lug our luggage up the stairs and over the bridge. We promptly noticed that the pool was out of commission even though when we booked we had emailed the hotel directly to ask if the pool was going to be open this year since last year it was closed. Per the owner Jack he had told us it would. Unfortunately the pool got a leak but they never bothered to let us know or we would have booked elsewhere. They do not assist you with your luggage to your room... so up two more flights of stairs. The loft room was nice at first glance but it was so hot in there. Both air conditioners are in the loft area and the downstairs section never cooled down. The windows are sealed shut so you can't open those for a breeze. One of the large windows didn't even have blinds on them. We tried to not complain and just suck it up. We were there for fun not complaining. When we got back the first night we found out the light in the loft did not work. This was discerning for the person upstairs had to ask us to turn on lights so they were able to see what they were doing. Again going to try and tough it out. Next morning we realized that there was no cable or satellite TV and NO HOT WATER. Ok.. no biggie.. we can live without TV... hot water... well it is warm there so cold showers weren't the worst thing on earth. But there are no alarm clocks or clocks of any sort in the rooms. Very frustrating. Well on our second day there it rained... a lot. Friday evening we noticed water on the floor and figured well.. old building we just won't put anything on the floor. We let the housekeeper know the next morning (she is fabulous by the way... absolute sweetheart who does an excellent job) along with all the other issues with the room. She got someone on them right away. Saturday morning... raining again... still leaking... sigh.. ok it's nature. But when we came back and it was a lot worse and was getting the bed wet that was enough. The front desk wasn't too concerned. They sent the housekeeper to fix the problem. She right away called and told them to move us. The front desk wanted to put us in a small room with a cot. She argued and until I stated we had paid for the loft room for a reason they finally agreed. As I was trying to move all the bags we had the housekeeper finally got someone there to help me carry my bags... because I had to go down two flights of stairs... across the bridge.. and then up 3 flights of stairs carrying everything we had brought. (I was the only one who had returned to the room at that point). The new rooms were great... cooled quickly, TV's worked, hot water, and no leaks. But oh dear goodness later that night whoever was in the room below us fought from 1:30am to 4:30 am and no one at the hotel did anything about it. I was scared to death. They were cussing and throwing stuff. So the next morning we got showers and got our stuff to leave. While getting out of the shower we got a knock on the door and was advised that we had to stop because it was leaking to the room below us!!! Told the front desk about some of the issues and she said ok. I advised we were never coming back and she said ok. Obviously the new owners do not care about customer service. Sorry to see this happen. Really liked the rooms and location.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the side with the outdoor area out back.. they have live music that plays until very...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed here over the thanksgiving weekend and had a great time. The pool was out of commission, but we kept busy. Located right next to downtown, we were within a 10 minute walk to stores, bars and restaurants. The ac worked great and the room was always clean. Parking the rental care was often a chore, but overall we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed November 2012
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Commanche Hotel the night of June 2. We were on the 2nd floor.
Since there is no hotel parking I had to circle around and wait for a parking spot up the street.
Fortunately we had carryon luggage for our one night stay or it would have been a problem going up two flights of stairs.

The room was cute, clean and once we were able to turn on the airconditioning we were able to cool down the hot and stuffy room. My only gripe about the room was the fact there were holes in the wood floor you could see light coming through on the floor below and above. There were als mosquitoes in the room. My wife and I went out that afternoon and returned 30 minutes before the loud music was supposed to end which it did.

The problem of most concern to me was I did not feel safe. The outside door lock for the room was like the twist lock you would find in your bathroom. The door clearance at the bottom was about 1 1/2 inches. Also, after I checked in I went back downstairs around 5:00 pm to get the wi-fi code. No one was at the front desk. I waited over 10 minutes before someone showed up but it was someone from the bar from the restaurant. I was told the person would be there soon. I noticed that there was a set of keys on the counter and a container used to put hotel registration information sitting on the top of the counter without supervision. I also noticed there was an alarm system and a flat screen showing a recording (I beleive 4 cameras). The control box was flashing "batteries low".

When the front desk person came I asked her for the wi-fi code which she provided. I then told her about the low battery indicator. She passed it off saying it doesn't matter because the camera is hard-wired into the computer. I hold her her response did not make me fee any safer. He said if I wanted I can bring my concern to I believe "Joe" up stairs. I told her that perhaps she can tell Joe herself that one of the hotel guest was concerned about this issue.
Not sure I would stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
gemm82
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Huge open air bar is attached to Hotel Club Commanche, right on the Boardwalk up the stairs behind the Sugar Mill. Has a rustic island charm with nice lounge areas, fun atomsphere. Great place to relax and enjoy harbor seaview. The night we were there they had Firedancer and Bellydancer, very entertaining! Bar staff very friendly, say hi to Thomas.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
East End, St. Thomas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I am reminded of that British Comedy, Faulty Towers. I have stayed at this hotel numerous times over the past several months. The A/C is great and hey, they ‘got’ flat screens. The historic rooms that are part of the main building and away from the water are nicely done and have the flavor of a stateside bed and breakfast. So, they have done a nice job there. The place used to be a dump years ago. The problem is not with the rooms so much as the hotel’s location. Sure, it’s centrally located and therein lies the problem. It's frankly tough to get a good night sleep there. Gaping cracks in the wood floor allows every sound you can imagine to carry from room to room: Sometimes that's intriguing; most of the time, however, it's just very disruptive. By the time your neighbors settle down, the 5:00 am. garbage truck is rolling through and those guys make a career out of emptying the one dumpster that's outside; the truck just sits there revving its engine with yellow light and horn beep-beep-beeping for a good 20-30 minutes. Then around 6:00 a.m. the roosters start up. That goes on incessantly until about 7:00-7:30 whereupon you just surrender, get up and go to work or the dive boat feeling like a zombie. This happens EVERY day. So forget about sleep. If someone else's alarm clock goes off, you will hear it. My advice? Just stay up and watch TV all night, and enjoy the A/C and wait for the sunrise. Staying awake and vigilant may be important if you stay at the Commanche. There is no cover or gate over the downstairs entrance to the lobby continues to entice burglars and vagrants who have recently ripped off the hotel's computer. Just two weeks ago someone apparently known to the hotel broke into (or tried to break into) the safe, also kept in unsecured lobby now well known to area criminals. You do not want to walk into a St. Croix robbery. At night Christiansted is a rough area--no longer the "'Amsterdam of the Caribbean' as I’m frequently told it used to be back in the good 'ole sixties and before Hurricane Hugo" in 1989. Late night Christiantsted is not a place to bring your hot wife or the kids. The hotel does a pretty poor job of screening other guests and those no one to turn to on staff late at night (there is no staff there late at night) except the police. Take for example the evening the hotel decided to let out a room to two teenage boys who invited 7-8 of the friends and then trashed the room and broke into the bar. This group was up until 5:00 a.m. wrestling and knocking over furniture until the garbage truck and the roosters showed up. My understanding is that the hotel had at least some of these folks arrested. There are also ‘key’ issues. Not all of the deadbolt keys to the outer door work, so you may find yourself calling a manager (if you happen to have his/her number) to come from their home and let you in so you can get in your room. And if you’ve actually managed to squeeze out a few winks of sleep just as the sun rises, you’ll get another wake-up call of sorts—but not from a rooster; from housekeeping or the front desk. God forbid you should arise from the one hour of sleep you might get between 8 and 9 am. House keeping routinely either barges into your room unannounced (it’s happened more than once) OR they will hassle you to death in conjunction with the front desk (all, well before 10 am, mind you) because those ladies want you OUT so they can CLEAN and go home. Forget late check out. They want you out immediately! As far as the front desk folks, most are very nice and helpful with one occasional exception

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Club Commanche? Share your experiences!