“The best horseback ride EVER” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 27 Activities in Christiansted
Type: Horseback Riding Stables
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Equus Rides offers a unique horseback riding experience on St. Croix's magnificent north shore. Join The Cane Bay Cowboy, Stephen O'Dea. Ride trails to hilltops with breath taking views. Mosey or canter along beautiful Cane Bay Beach. Finally, experience the ultimate... A swim in the Caribbean Sea on horseback! Equus Rides caters to riders of all levels. We also have horses available for private parties and wedding ceremonies. Happy Trails!
“The best horseback ride EVER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

My wife and I do a fair amount of horseback riding at various ranches and farms. We have also ridden on the beach several times before but Steve and Noah made this our most memorable ride. We went with our daughter, who is also a fairly experienced rider- and her husband who was a beginner. Steve carefully matched us with horses and was very patient with our son I law who had not ridden much before. The horses were very health and well cared for- something we haven't found to be the case with some stables in the Caribbean islands. During the ride, he also matched the pace with our ability from walking to gentle loping -slow gallops. You ride to a high spot with an incredible view of the north shore- and then onto the beach- where again, you go at a pace matched with your ability-and then, if you wish, swimming with the horses in the ocean. All in all a really remarkable ride that more than met our rather high expectations.

Austin, Texas
6 attraction reviews
“Most unique horseback ride!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

My husband and I have done different horseback rides and this by far was the most unique! Cowboy Steve took the time to give us a short riding lesson, he was great with making sure we got lots of pictures with just the right lighting. The whole tour is about three hours and there is never a dull moment. On a short trail, down to the beach then out into the ocean. He does like to get great pics of you standing on your horse.

I was not sure what to wear since I knew we would get wet...so glad I wore pants and flips so I could take off the shoes when it was time to get wet - would have preferred water shoes (Tevas or Chacos). Cowboy Steve gives lots of island history and makes you laugh the entire time. I did feel like a total tourist but loved every minute of it!

Schuylkill Haven, Pennsylvania
14 attraction reviews
“Unbelievably Awesome Ride!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Cowboy Steve took our family of 8 for an amazing ride today! We had 3 adults and 5 children ages 4-10. He bought along three great staff members that were wonderful with the children. We were nervous about how the kids would do, but were quickly at ease with the professional approach and experienced guides. They use the same horses for special needs therapy programs and the demeanor of the horses the kids were on showed it. My wife is an experienced rider and found her horse to be wonderful. I could go on and on about all of the amazing views, etc. Just pony up and do it!

Buffalo, New York, Usa
27 attraction reviews
“Best ride ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Cowboy Steve & his helpers Bonnie & Noah are the best! From the beginning having the option to text with Bonnie instead of using many roaming minutes to co-ordinate our schedules & accommodate us to the ride itself, it was the best experience ever! I loved meeting Steve & his horses. They were so laid back & content. You could see the respect he had for the horses when he took the bit out of their mouth. Instead of just pulling it out, he waited for them to let it come out & didn't rush them. These horses are very well taken care of & not what I was expecting. Being so close to the equator & in such mild climate I was expecting them to be a little on the smaller side,. but they were healthy looking & not skinny at all. We started out our ride with getting acquainted with the horses & a refresher on riding tips. Which "some" of us needed. These horses & Steve made the day so enjoyable.
We walked up the road for a bit, then into the forest and onto the beach. They took time for photo ops & answered all of our questions. Steve is a VERY interesting man... listen to how he came to be on St. Croix & a cowboy.
I have never swam with a horse, but I did it with them! It was such an amazing experience.. I wanted it to last all afternoon! We took a sunset ride & I am so glad we choose that.
If you love horses, sunsets, & the beach... this is the one for you!
Thanks Steve, Bonnie, & Noah... we will be back!

Visited January 2014
Wichita, Kansas
7 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Cowboy Steve is one of the most introspective, wise and interesting individuals I have ever had the opportunity to meet! His horses are so gentle, and he is consistently teaching you to properly ride from beginning to end. As he walks along with you and the horse you are comfortable with, he points out interesting plants and wildlife, as well as gives you a history of the breed of horse you are on. He is encouraging and engaging, and just a blast to hang out with. All the locals give him a shout when you are at Cane Bay, and the horses really liked being in the water and rolling in the sand. I hadn't been on a horse in years, and Cowboy Steve has inspired me to take it back up!