“a ride of a life time” 5 of 5 stars

Hartford, Connecticut
5 attraction reviews
“a ride of a life time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

every time my husband & I travel, we look for a place for me to ride. beside having a horse in the family, I have ridden in various states in the US, Costa Rica, Belize, Ireland, Mexico Canada and more, This had to be the very best ride of a life time. It was just the Guide Steve & myself for the sunset beach ride. Very interesting & intelligent man - well versed in many subjects - just not horse & island lore. He chose an excellent ride for me name Finnegan since I had had a joint replace in my foot in April and althou complete rehabbed was I not sure about riding capabilities The ride took us into the rain forest and well as swimming on horseback. What an incredible bonding feeling when you feel the horse go from walking to swimming. The turtles kept poking their heads out of the ocean to stare at us as we stared back at them. Even got caught in a wonderful rain shower. Unfortunately some where along this incredible journey, I lost my camera along the ride. When I realized it & he offered to go back to look for it. It was a cheap on & it was dark so I declined his offer. I got an email the other day from the man we rented the house from. Steve had found the camera & they were sending it back to me. WOWIE!!!
When we return( and we are coming back to St Croix & hopefully the house we rented will still be available) I will ride again with Steve - the Cane Bay Cowboy from Ireland

The rides lengths & times can vary so check with Steve - mine took a luxurious 2 plus hours

Visited September 2013

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 attraction reviews
“So much fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I took a sunset ride with Stephen and were so glad we did! The ride was beautiful, what a great and unique way to see the island! Stephen was an interesting and informative guide. It was all great, but ending the ride in the water was spectacular! Well worth the price!

Visited September 2013
Berkshire
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My sister, two nieces and I had a fabulous time. Horse back riding on the beach was the only thing my younger niece wanted to do in St Croix, and my older niece was terrified. Stephen was out of the country, but Miranda, Heidi and Jennifer did an excellent job! Miranda led the excursion, Heidi personally escorted my older niece's horse and talked with her the entire way to keep her calm, and Jennifer was enthusiastic and encouraging while taking tons of pictures for all of us. We had tried to book with Paul & Jill's but they were so rude to us on the phone that we went with Equus instead - and are we ever glad that we did!!The horses were well matched to the skill of the rider, the handlers obviously cared about the horses and their well being and the ride was the perfect pace and length for our group. These ladies did a fantastic job!!! My younger niece even got to do tricks on her horse while in the ocean. It was a very memorable experience for us all. This is where anyone wishing to have a personal and enjoyable experience in St Croix should go.

Visited July 2013
Bear, Delaware
6 attraction reviews
“Lots of Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband, my sister and I definitely enjoyed our time with Cowboy Steve. It's not everyday that you find an Irishman wearing a cowboy hat on the island of St. Croix. He was recommended to us and we had a fabulous time. We all appreciated that he took the time to assess our riding ability in order to match us with the appropriate horse.

We have all been on horses before, but are certainly not expert riders. He gave us all a lesson in how to sit properly and how to give direction to the horse. This was very helpful. He was a great guide and very friendly.

We also liked that he rescues horses. Some of his horses had been mistreated in the past and he took them in to rehabilitate them. He was very knowledgeable with regard to the animals.

All three of us enjoyed our time with Steve. We had lots of fun and would definitely recommend him to others traveling to St. Croix.

Visited June 2013
Chicago
12 attraction reviews
“Horses and Cane Bay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We (wife and kids) just did the sunset ride with Stephen on Cane Bay last week and had an amazing time. I'm guessing that riding with Stephen is unlike anything else you'll ever do. Not only did we ride the horses to the beach and then into the water, Stephen taught the kids (aged 14-20) how to stand up in a saddle on the horse. Sitting on a horse's back as it swims in the Caribbean is a feeling that isn't easily replicated at most places. The pictures we took are unbelievable - truly memorable. And Stephen has definitely retained the gift of the gab from his days in Ireland; get him to start chatting about his background and you'll never be bored. I can definitely say that this was one of the highlights of our week on St. Croix.

You should note that this isn't a standard 90 minute trail ride. As people have discussed earlier, after saddling up Stephen and his assistants walk or jog next to the horses for a significant portion of the tour, which sounds weird but is actually fine. If you want to run the horses there are a few times that you can do it and if you're a more beginner/intermediate rider there with your kids it's a non-event. Also, the highlight of this experience is really having the horses at the beach and learning to stand on the saddle so if you want a standard 90 minute horse ride, this probably isn't the best option for you.

Visited June 2013