“Inn at Pelican Heights...Don't Expect Too Much” 2 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Christiansted
Inn at Pelican Heights
4201 Estate St. John, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #8 of 13 Christiansted B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“Inn at Pelican Heights...Don't Expect Too Much”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2006

As suggested by the title...stay at the Inn at Pelican Heights if you're just looking for a place to crash for the night, but there's other Inns on St Croix that offer much more for the money.

Based on their website and comments posted by previous guests (somewhat dated), my wife and I booked the Inn for a little more than a week...we ended up staying one night.

The Inn has great potential. It's a beautiful piece of property that was probably great 'in its day'. It appears the owner either doesn't have the time, or doesn't dedicate the time to keep up the property.

The Inn doesn't invite you to relax and enjoy the grounds. The grounds are overgrown and the outside furniture/features are not maintained in a condition which invites guests to kick back and relax. Even the pool was covered...although we were invited to pull off the cover if/when we wanted to go for a swim! It just appears the owner isn't aggressively managing the property. He has a full-time job elsewhere (which is fine), but there isn't anyone else around 'working' the property or taking care of guests.

Our room was small, but well-equipped. There is a small furnished kitchen, TV, in-room phone, and an air conditioner (bonus!). What it lacks is an emphasis on cleanliness. Our bedding was clean, but as you lay on the bed and look up, you can't help but notice the ceiling fan and surrounding ceiling area haven't been cleaned anytime recently. The bathroom was fairly clean, but the tub was rusted and the drain was clogged! The towels, although clean, were old and full of holes.

Bottom line...my wife and I were not comfortable staying at the Inn at Pelican Heights. We ended-up staying one night, then called for reservations at another Inn; it turned out to be a great move!

On a positive note...
When I contacted the owner about my displeasure with his inn, he willingly let me out of my contract period and did not charge me for the one night we stayed (including a nice breakfast). A class act by the owner.

My wife and I are not picky, snooty, or fussy. We simply expect and want to stay somewhere clean and comfortable. We stayed at two other inns on the island during our three-week stay; both were superb and met our every expectation (my wife wrote those reviews!).

If you need a place to crash for the night, the Inn at Pelican Heights is fine. If you're planning to stay for a while and you're looking for a clean and comfortable place to relax, I'd look elsewhere.

7 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Couples
Solo
Business
Rhode Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2006

Recently stayed at The Inn at Pelican Heights in St.Croix....the rooms were unkept....mold, fungus and dust. The location was misrepresented with no real access to a beach and the facility in general was run down. Big Disappointment.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2005

I found the Inn online. From the moment I learned about it I knew it would be perfect. My expectations were high, after all it was our honeymoon. Fred, Nancy, Milo and Valerie exceeded our wildest expectations. Fred is friendly and full of great advice about what to do on the island. The suite was perfect, clean and spacious. The honeymoon package was a great value and I secretly wonder how Fred can make money with all the included amenities. For the first half of our honeymoon we were the only guests there. It was wonderfully secluded and quiet. After sight-seeing and touring the island, it was heaven to come back to the Inn and enjoy the warm tropical breeze and the glorious view from Pelican's Perch. Wednesday other guests started arriving and they were just as friendly as our hosts. My husband considers himself a breakfast expert and each day Valerie's breakfasts continued to knock his socks off. This lady can cook!!! Not to mention everywhere we went there was someone that knew her. She's just that nice. Once you stay here you will be back again and again
We had such a great time I'm already planning our next trip

• Stayed November 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2004

We had a wonderful time at the Inn at Pelican Heights. We stayed in the Hummingbird Suite with our 1 1/2 year old daughter and had more than enough room. We had a kitchen so we stayed in 2 nights and cooked and also had use of the grill by the pool. Every morning we were served a beautiful breakfast. Upon our arrival Fred showed us around and then gave us a map of St. Croix-showing us all the best beaches. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2004

We had a wonderful, relaxing vacation at the Inn at Pelican Heights. Excellent hospitality, food, lodging location, room and rates. The Inn is clean and well maintained with a secluded and quiet atmosphere. A great place to get away from it all.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2004

From the first moment we stepped onto the property and were greeted by Fred we felt right at home. We stayed in the Paradise Suite and had a fabulous view of Christianted and the beaches. The daily breakfasts were different every day and could not have been better. Both Fred and Nancy spent time with us and offered insights into various aspects of the island. The pool was a welcome relief after a day of sightseeing. We enjoyed being able to use the grill poolside for an evening cookout. The friendliness of the Inn made our vacation one we will always remember.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2004

My husband and I went to this B&B 3 years ago, and we thought it was fabulous! Our hosts were not only friendly and very welcoming, but they gave us great suggestions to where to go on the island - particularly secluded beaches where not a lot of other tourists go! Breakfast is always a treat - for the week we had stayed there, each day was different! Because each room has a kitchen, we cooked our own dinners and even barbequed a couple of times. (It's better going into town).
Christiansted is not too far if you would like to check out the night life, however, if you're there to relax - staying at the Inn is perfect! Our room was great and very clean. Our room was always cleaned up during our excursions...the maids even washed our dishes! It's very slow paced in St. Croix, so don't expect a lot of partying. But if you just want to hang out and relax - this is a place to go. We're definately planning to visit the Inn in the future!

Been to Inn at Pelican Heights? Share your experiences!