“Nice, Mediocre Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Hals, Denmark
“Nice, Mediocre Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

An old and a bit shabby hotel with a WONDERFUL location, however.

The location right in downtown Christiansted on the beautiful waterfront is just perfect. The hotel, however, is in the need of a restoration if they want to keep on accomodating tourists in the years to come. The room, my wife and I had, was of a comfortable size, and from the balcony we were overlooking the old fort and the isle of Protestant Cay. A bit primitive washroom though.

Very polite and friendly staff, and the room was cleaned thoroughly every day.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Danbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Very nice and clean at very reasonable price. Good location on pier and board walk in town next to fort. Breakfast included to my surprise as well as beach towels. Could take ferry across bay to beach or close to taxi stands to go any were on island. If you want to stay in town versus a remote resort this is a good bet. You can always visit the much more expensive resorts for the day and pay a fraction of the price. Good for night life as well as you can walk to bars and restaurants. I would stay again no doubt. Chris R. from Connecticut

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Calella, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I booked a one night stay at this hotel. I had not done any research on it, and I certainly regret that. I honestly believe this place should not be open at all. From the state of the building itself to the less than poor service attitude, everything is bad. I do not have one positive thing to say about this place. In some of the public áreas pieces of Wood are nailed to the walls, I guess to keep the Wall in place. The elevator is shut closed, and the whole área is really run down. Then enter the room, and oh boy, you are in for a surprise. Old furniture, bad smell, non working airco, light bulbs out, etc. I was awakened several times due to some sort of electrical flashes. There was something very wrong with the electrical cabling. Something will eventually happen here unless someone does something about it. After a miserable sleep, and once I had taken a shower at a very poorly maintained and worse cleaned bathroom, I went down for breakfast, thinking it could not be worst. I was wrong. The lady points with her finger to the wall saying "there's the menu". I ask for coffee and orange juice and she says "either coffee or juice". At his point I just thanked her and left to a nearby restaurant. I am a salesman, and generally put up with not so good hotels because I mostly stay for one night. It is the first time I write a review for a hotel in years. Do not stay at this hotel, and particularly, do not bring your children to this property. You are basically putting them in danger.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I can't say enough about my stay at King Christian in Christiansted. It was amazing. The location cannot be beat. It is definitely the best placed hotel in the city. Right next to the fort and right at the end of the boardwalk. It has great access to taxis and transportation. It also overlooks the harbor dotted with tranquil bobbing sailboats that you can watch while the sun rises. It also overlooks the island in the middle of the harbor and also gives great walkable access to the island with the most amazing white sand beaches I have ever seen. I do not think I have seen such natural beauty anywhere in the world. Each day I woke up I was immensely grateful to just have the opportunity to see it. I stayed there with my one and a half year old son. The staff was just amazing, by day 2 I felt like I was home and felt like I was watched out for by the staff. Two of the women even took their time off to babysit my son two evenings so that I could attend a local church service which was extremely helpful. I travel extensively and all the time and rarely to the same place twice because there is so much to see in the world, but I am already telling everyone about the gem of King Christian and St. Croix and planning my next vacation there already. I truly have never been so relaxed in my life. I spent another week on St. Thomas, St. John and in Puerto Rico, but King Christian was absolutely the highlight of my vacation -- heck, its the highlight of my year!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 212 and it had a spectacular view of the harbor and the sunrise every morning. I w...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

The KCH is conveniently located on the warf, nearby historic town sites, dive/snorkel trip operators, cab stand and the superior rooms have nice view over the bay. Nice breakfast included to 10:30 am, but also nearby nice Avocado Pit good all-day breakfast. Courteous staff. Had the following downsides for my December 2013 stay. The A/C was not working in my room. They offered to move me but to a room with less advantageous view. The phone did not work so to call front desk had to use personal phone with roaming charges. The cable TV service was out for at least two days. There was no water (plumbing) one morning but it was fixed that morning. Couple of cockroache-like bugs around the fridge area, as much as I kept all food in fridge. Others have commented on pideons bothering the upper (3'rd) floor. I saw a couple of them on my 3'rd floor porch but was not bothered by them or noise.

Room Tip: Superior room with bay view is nice. Top floor is okay if you do not mind lugging baggage up the st...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I have no clue as to why there is so much BASHING of this truly lovey place. Have stayed here 3 times!! Going back 5/31.

previously had done the caravelle....but King Christian is far superior.

All rooms are scrupulously clean and have all the amenities any normal person would like.

If you are looking for something like a USA Hilton etc.....you won't find it here. So go and stay at one of the gated BIG resorts!

The beds are comfortable. The staff is delightful. Absolutely charming pool and its courtyard. Comfortable furniture and umbrellas when you want shade.

The front desk is friendly and welcoming!

perfect location.

Moments from some of the BEST restaraunts also. Galangal is not to be missed! Rum Runners, and Angry nate's are on the same boardwalk around the corner. Angry nate's has the ever superb ORANGE creme brulee! Rum Runners is terrific...thugh desserts could be improved.

Colony Club is a terrific Euro-styled pub!

I wouldn't stay at Holger dansk for anything....no views etc.

My son, daughter and i are standing up for The King Christian 110%!!! The children are grown. 46 and 43. We have traveled extensively...even on the finest ship ever: The Allure by RCL!!! We are not babes in the woods regarding hotels. have even done Buenos Aires!!! Montecito in Cal and La jolla, also northern cal. Including San Francisco, penobscot bay in maine, Florida keys and the ever wonderful Charleston, SC.

Do not believe these bashers of the KC!

Just go and find out for yourselves!

Room Tip: get A Superior room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hazel Crest, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I booked this hotel based on the reviews/review I saw on Travelocity. I was orginally booked for this hotel from May 17,2012 - May 20, 2012. Once I arrived with my mother at this hotel we were given only one room key (mind you it was two of us)
We went to the room on the third floor and opened the door. The room was filthy and the air conditioner didn't work. I went to explain to the front desk that the room was dirty and the air conditioner was blowing warm air. My mother has asthma and I was afraid the humid and dirty room would set her asthma off. I was given another room that was considered an upgrade. I went into that room, it was even more filthy, air conditioner didn't work and the bathroom door was hanging off the hinges and the curtains were torn and hanging off the rods. Disgusting. When I went back to the front desk I was given yet another room. This was the suite. In all fairness the room was clean, and the air conditioner worked. The furniture was dated and in order to access the room you had to go outside the hotel around the corner, open a stell gate and walk by the dumpster. The windows had bars on them. By this time (we arrived at the hotel around 2:30 p.m.) it was 6:30 p.m. we were exhausted, we decided to stay the night and check out to another hotel in the morning. I will say the hotel staff was very nice and tried to be as helpful as they could. The hotel management should be ashamed of themselves for posting this as a vaction hotel. It is more of a transient hotel (in my opinion) For a better/cleaner hotel in the same area go to King's Alley which Travelocity does not list.
One other thing, I was very disappointed with Travelocity. When I started having problems I called to see what could be done. I spoke with one representative/supervisor who stated that he would call me back in twenty minutes. After 30 minutes passed I called again and spoke with a supervisor name Jasmine. She basically told me another supervisor was working on it and she didn't want to go behind him. Even after explaining that my mother has asthma and is wheezing could you at least call the othe supervisor and see what he is doing and help me. She said no. I then re called Travelocity and spoke with Elizabeth who was able to help me. After speaking with her the hotel stated that they would refund my money in full and we were able to book at another hotel without incurring additional cost. Travelocity really should look into their policies of helping travelers who use their site. And send their employees to a training on how to deal with the public. Now each time I spoke with a representative. My thanks to Elizabeth and I hope she gets the reconigtion (I know I spelled that wrong) and accomdation that she deserves. Thank you Elizabeth.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, for a little more money you have several options around the corner within walki...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to King Christian Hotel? Share your experiences!