“Trade-offs on King Christian Hotel St. Croix” 3 of 5 stars

King Christian Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   PO Box 24467, Christiansted 00824, St. Croix   |
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Denver, Colorado
“Trade-offs on King Christian Hotel St. Croix”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

The KCH is conveniently located on the warf, nearby historic town sites, dive/snorkel trip operators, cab stand and the superior rooms have nice view over the bay. Nice breakfast included to 10:30 am, but also nearby nice Avocado Pit good all-day breakfast. Courteous staff. Had the following downsides for my December 2013 stay. The A/C was not working in my room. They offered to move me but to a room with less advantageous view. The phone did not work so to call front desk had to use personal phone with roaming charges. The cable TV service was out for at least two days. There was no water (plumbing) one morning but it was fixed that morning. Couple of cockroache-like bugs around the fridge area, as much as I kept all food in fridge. Others have commented on pideons bothering the upper (3'rd) floor. I saw a couple of them on my 3'rd floor porch but was not bothered by them or noise.

Room Tip: Superior room with bay view is nice. Top floor is okay if you do not mind lugging baggage up the st...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I have no clue as to why there is so much BASHING of this truly lovey place. Have stayed here 3 times!! Going back 5/31.

previously had done the caravelle....but King Christian is far superior.

All rooms are scrupulously clean and have all the amenities any normal person would like.

If you are looking for something like a USA Hilton etc.....you won't find it here. So go and stay at one of the gated BIG resorts!

The beds are comfortable. The staff is delightful. Absolutely charming pool and its courtyard. Comfortable furniture and umbrellas when you want shade.

The front desk is friendly and welcoming!

perfect location.

Moments from some of the BEST restaraunts also. Galangal is not to be missed! Rum Runners, and Angry nate's are on the same boardwalk around the corner. Angry nate's has the ever superb ORANGE creme brulee! Rum Runners is terrific...thugh desserts could be improved.

Colony Club is a terrific Euro-styled pub!

I wouldn't stay at Holger dansk for anything....no views etc.

My son, daughter and i are standing up for The King Christian 110%!!! The children are grown. 46 and 43. We have traveled extensively...even on the finest ship ever: The Allure by RCL!!! We are not babes in the woods regarding hotels. have even done Buenos Aires!!! Montecito in Cal and La jolla, also northern cal. Including San Francisco, penobscot bay in maine, Florida keys and the ever wonderful Charleston, SC.

Do not believe these bashers of the KC!

Just go and find out for yourselves!

Room Tip: get A Superior room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hazel Crest, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I booked this hotel based on the reviews/review I saw on Travelocity. I was orginally booked for this hotel from May 17,2012 - May 20, 2012. Once I arrived with my mother at this hotel we were given only one room key (mind you it was two of us)
We went to the room on the third floor and opened the door. The room was filthy and the air conditioner didn't work. I went to explain to the front desk that the room was dirty and the air conditioner was blowing warm air. My mother has asthma and I was afraid the humid and dirty room would set her asthma off. I was given another room that was considered an upgrade. I went into that room, it was even more filthy, air conditioner didn't work and the bathroom door was hanging off the hinges and the curtains were torn and hanging off the rods. Disgusting. When I went back to the front desk I was given yet another room. This was the suite. In all fairness the room was clean, and the air conditioner worked. The furniture was dated and in order to access the room you had to go outside the hotel around the corner, open a stell gate and walk by the dumpster. The windows had bars on them. By this time (we arrived at the hotel around 2:30 p.m.) it was 6:30 p.m. we were exhausted, we decided to stay the night and check out to another hotel in the morning. I will say the hotel staff was very nice and tried to be as helpful as they could. The hotel management should be ashamed of themselves for posting this as a vaction hotel. It is more of a transient hotel (in my opinion) For a better/cleaner hotel in the same area go to King's Alley which Travelocity does not list.
One other thing, I was very disappointed with Travelocity. When I started having problems I called to see what could be done. I spoke with one representative/supervisor who stated that he would call me back in twenty minutes. After 30 minutes passed I called again and spoke with a supervisor name Jasmine. She basically told me another supervisor was working on it and she didn't want to go behind him. Even after explaining that my mother has asthma and is wheezing could you at least call the othe supervisor and see what he is doing and help me. She said no. I then re called Travelocity and spoke with Elizabeth who was able to help me. After speaking with her the hotel stated that they would refund my money in full and we were able to book at another hotel without incurring additional cost. Travelocity really should look into their policies of helping travelers who use their site. And send their employees to a training on how to deal with the public. Now each time I spoke with a representative. My thanks to Elizabeth and I hope she gets the reconigtion (I know I spelled that wrong) and accomdation that she deserves. Thank you Elizabeth.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, for a little more money you have several options around the corner within walki...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Ebeltoft, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for some days.
They have large rooms and nice beds. Be sure to book superior room to get the good view over the sea. Cleanliness was okay and poolarea quite nice too.
Staff dosnt get involved - it is if like they dont care - not unfriendly though, but not helpful or concerned about guests. Compared to other hotels by the boardwalk, its a fair choice.
The fairly new addon breakfast isnt worth attending - horrible!

Room Tip: Choose only Superior room!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
San Juan, Puerto Rico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

I took the first flight out of San Juan and after picking up my car rental I was at the hotel about 8AM. Check-in was much later but the kind front desk woman allowed me to checkin early. I had a few encounters with her as she worked a double that day and she was extremely helpful.

The next day I had a job interview and asked if I could check out about 2 hours late so that I could come back and change. That was also fine with them. I was very happy with the customer service.

So I get to the room and there is an odd smell. I was so tired as I had been up all night studying before I caught the morning flight so I could not be bothered changing rooms and I delt with the smell. The AC barely worked. I fooled with it but it was more like a fan. In April no AC is not a big deal. I live in Puerto Rico which is about 75 miles away and I will not turn on the AC for a couple more months. But if it was July or August I would be complaining.

After I woke up from my nap I went to use the coffee maker and not only was their old grounds in the coffee machine there was stuff floating in the water of the coffee pot as it was not emptied. It grossed me out.

When I went to take a shower I had to let the water run for no less then 10 minutes to get luke warm water. Even though I live in the Caribbean I like my hot showers. I didn't feel clean.

Also the room was loud I could always hear noise and I am not sure why as I had a corner room on the top floor so it should have been quiet.

I used Continental miles to book this room and had I checked Trip Advisor I am sure I would have booked elsewhere.

It was nor horrendous but I bunch of little, annoying things and I could have stayed somewhere nicer. Stay at your own risk. At least the front desk staff will take care of you.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

Spectacular location right on the harbor in downtown Christiansted St Croix- great view seeing the seaplanes land/takeoff in the bay right outside your balcony, but.....nothing works in the hotel!! The elevator was long since abandoned as terminally broke-we had to haul our heavy bags up 3 flights ourselves-no one available to help. The A/C didn't work initially, the ceiling fan didn't work, pigeons roosting on the balcony and several outletshanging out of the wall, When their service man came up to check the fan his observation was.."it's broke" following which he walked away!! The bathroom was tired (no tub-just a shower) with some mildew, They are rebuilding a sundeck which other guests advised us is now in its 3rd year of construction. . But the room was clean and smelled fresh. If you need to be in center city Christiansted, this is the best choice but we wish we had stayed outside the city in one of the resorts (e.g. Buccaneer) and the price is very attractive relative to the big resorts.

Room Tip: if you have heavy bags, dont book upper floors
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012 via mobile

We had to go to K-Mart to buy our own towels. They were dirty and had spots on them. The cable television worked every other day and if you have the air condition on too long it conks out on you. Most of the staff had terrible attitudes and were uncaring. Don't stay there you will regret it.

• Stayed March 2012

Been to King Christian Hotel? Share your experiences!