“Horrible beaches” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Club St. Croix Beach and Tennis Resort

Save Saved
You added Club St. Croix Beach and Tennis Resort to your Saves list
Club St. Croix Beach and Tennis Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   3280 Estate Golden Rock | Rte 752, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
“Horrible beaches”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2005

ROOM: Our room wasn't as bad as others are saying. We happened to get a room that was very clean and in good condition. However, the air conditioner ( a window unit) was constantly on, and it never really got to a good temperature. It was very hot inside. Our balcony was large and was a great place to spend the night sipping pina coladas.
POOL: I love swimming, but this pool was not even something I would put my toes in. The water was a murky green, even though the walls were painted blue. I asked if the pool was closed, but the manager said that was open and that it was perfectly clean.
BEACH: This was the worst part about the hotel. The water was filled with seaweed, and this seaweed was dumped onto the beach every night. The hotel staff did rake it up every morning though. However, you couldn't really get into the water due to all the seaweed. We went to the Hotel on the Cay for their beach, and it was wonderful.
NEIGHBORHOOD: This is situated right across the street from a dilapidated neighborhood, which could have very well been the projects. There is security at the hotel's gate, so you aren't really bothered by anyone.
TRAVEL: We rented a Jeep from Avis at the airport, so we never really had to wait for taxis. I recommend renting something as you will save on taxi fares. Also, you get to drive on the "wrong" side of the road! We loved this part of our vacation: getting to see areas that other tourists might not get to.

• Stayed June 2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
madison, wi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2005

I read scary things before my trip to St. Croix. I checked so many different websites and wasn't encouraged. In fact, I must add for perspective that I am a single mom and was travelling with my 9 year old son. I am so happy to report that our trip was fantastic! I loved Club St. Croix. If one is looking for a 5 star hotel, one would be disappointed. If one is looking to travel to the islands, experience the laid back island atmosphere, and have all the amenities of home... Club St. Croix is for you. It was very reasonable in terms of cost. We had what I want to term more of an apartment vs. a hotel room. We had a completely stocked kitchen (ok, truth be told, the Club St. Croix kitchen had more gadgets than I have at home!). The room was clean. We had everything we needed. It had local art on display. It was beautiful... and I haven't even mentioned the patio, with the northside view of the Carribean Sea. The beach is lovely. I had read one comment about seaweed being on the beach. May I add that I was up early every morning and around 7, there was an employee raking the beach of every piece of seaweed. I, myself, who feels that you may experience seaweed when you go to a beach, could have done without that service; but, they still did what they could to make their beach the best. We played tennis every day. We frequented one of the three courts. It was secure, clean and very available. The pool and spa were nice; although, the spa was not a high temperature hot tub. May I add though that we were in temperatures of 85 degrees, down to a low of 75; I would not have used the spa if it were at a high temperature. The staff, particularly the housekeepers, were lovely, lovely people. We are so enchanted with our visit, I have already checked online to see about reservations and flights for next year. I am sure that some of the safeguards for safety that I had in place because of reading reviews were good preventative measures. But, I must add, at no time did I feel that my son and I were at risk or in a dangerous situation. Common sense works!
Club St. Croix came through for us! We did rent a car too; I can't imagine doing the trip without a car. We're going again!!!

Baltimore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2005

My girlfriend and I spend Xmas/New Years at Club St Croix. (Take note that it is now two months since we have returned from this trip--the accommodations were so bad that I am still upset).

The first night we slept so poorly that the next morning we pulled down the Murphy bed, took off the mattress and exchanged it for our crappy mattress. It was a bit better, but not by much. Oh, while moving the mattress I stepped on a piece of glass/broken plate so I had to stop to remove the glass and clean my foot.

A few days later, after I could no longer take it, we went to a local K-Mart so I could buy clorox bleach and a new shower curtain liner. Just what you want to be doing on your Caribbean vacation.

One of the two air conditioning units busted while we were there. I didn't want to complain about it because I was afraid we'd be blamed and charged.

The sofas in the living room smelled badly of mildew and felt constantly wet. The pool was uninviting unless you like your pool water looking a bit "milky." (ew!)

On a positive note, the beach area was beautiful and quiet. It was a great place to take a nap. We had no problem getting clean beach towels each day. The staff was friendly enough.

Honestly, the best part of our trip was when we went to St Thomas for the day/night and stayed at a $250/night Marriott. I've NEVER been so excited to spend $250!

Staying here really was a huge damper on our trip. We both wanted to go home badly at the end. If I could have changed anything about the trip I would have gone for half the time and spent more money at a quality hotel. We did try to get a room at a different hotel but they were completely booked for the holiday season.

Unfortunately, we now refer to St. Croix as "St. Crap."

Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2005

I booked my hotel reservations for Club St. Croix Beach and Tennis Resort with Antilles for an upcoming solo trip to St. Croix. My credit card was immediately charged the amount for the regular rate, which was $400 greater than the rate I was quoted. The Antilles representative told me that this was Antilles' normal practice and that I would be reimbursed the difference AFTER my trip to St. Croix...

The afternoon I arrived at Club St. Croix the hotel clerk informed me that I was "upgraded" to a two-bedroom. I was travelling alone, and the "upgrade" was Antilles' definition for over-booking rooms at Club St. Croix. Subsequently I was diverted to a room at the Colony Cove. The Club St. Croix clerk claimed that Antilles owned both hotel properties and that the Colony Cove had similar accomodations to Club St. Croix.

The Colony Cove community members are very warm and friendly, and the building offers very nice accomodations.

Two nights later, the Colony Cove hotel clerk left a note on my door which informed me that I would be moving to another room. I was notified MON night that I would be moving again - due to the property owner's TUES arrival. The clerk claimed to have no knowledge of the permanent residents' schedules and could not guarantee that I would not have to relocate agin my remaining four nights.

The following morning, I packed my bags and requested to speak to a manager. I requested to speak to Richard Locke, the Antilles Manager. The Colony Cove representative informed me that he was off the island that day and offered that I speak to the Club St. Croix manager. Both clerks conveyed that they were sorry for my inconvenience, but offered no excuses for what appeared to me to be very shady business.

Antilles demonstrated exceptionally poor customer service and ruined my stay... I prematurely checked out that very day and sought other hotel accomodations... I am unsure if Antilles will credit my credit card account in the following month...

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2005

My fianc'ee and I spent a week here in late November of 2004. We were there to finalize a land purchase a few miles east of this resort. Our room was located on the bottom floor to the back edge of the structure. The view was spectacular with cerulean blue waters in the shallows that broke over a coral reef many yards offshore. The beach is private with lounge chairs and palm canopies. While the beach/water are not ideal they can be enjoyed none the less. There are other beaches close at hand that can be enjoyed more fully. The room was a little worn but very accomodating and comfortable. The unit was fully furnished and the service staff friendly and efficent. I noticed someone complain about the office. Yes, it does amount to chairs and a table outside under a large canopy. The employees use a very small office which houses the files, phones and computer. Heck, it's the caribbean! It's not like you have to endure torrential rainfall or freezing temps while you are assisted! The Breezes restaurant is a local hangout with decent food and staff. It isn't a 4 star eatery but most restaurants on the island aren't either. If you insist on the very best then these restaurants can be found. We tried many from Breeze's to TuTu Benni's to Durgan's Reef to Cheeseburger In Paradise. You get what you pay for. We were never disappointed. If you are looking for a true resort/spa then there are other places to stay. I'd recommend The Buccaneer or Divy. However, be prepared to spend a whole lot more money! The island is small and we chose to spend most of our time sightseeing. As such, Club St. Croix was ideal for our intentions. Get a car. It is by far the easiest means of travel although taxi service is very efficent. I just wouldn't want to walk all over as my sole means of transport...period. Lastly regarding safety, as in any place you might live or travel there are risks of crime. The area around the Club is improvished (as is much of the island) and reasonable caution should be taken to avoid areas off the beaten track, especially after dark. This applies to the whole island not just the surroundings of the Club. We never felt the least bit threatened or fearful during our stay. The locals were friendly enough and a greeting was always forthcoming. Most crime is petty and commited by locals on locals. Just be smart. If you're concerned about such issues then you should look at the crime rates in St. Thomas against tourists to compare! We're going back in March of 2005 for another week with the kids. I can't wait!!!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2004

We loved the pool and the tennis. Our suite had a big balcony, caught the breezes every night. The staff was above average.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2004

My family and I just returned home from a wonderful St. Croix vacation. We did not stay at Club St. Croix. When we were researching where to stay we looked at Club St. Croix and read many terrible reviews. We did stay at an amazing inn, The Inn at Pelican Heights. Everything was perfect. One night we decided to go to Club St. Croix to Breezes to get some drinks. This was a horrible mistake! We went after the dinner rush so there were only a few tables of people. We waited to be seated and the waitress kept walking by us so finally we went to the bar and asked to be seated. We weren't given any menus so my husband went back to the bar to order our drinks and was told that we needed to wait for the waitress??? So we waited...and waited...and waited. Nothing and still no menus. An older couple came in and sat at the table behind us. The waitress walked by us, looked at us and took the other people's order and completely ignored us. We were so disgusted we just got up and left and went to a fabulous restaurant in Christiansted called RumRunners. I don't know if she ignored us because we were only ordering drinks or if it was an age thing (my husband and I are in our late 20s). If this is the type of service at Breezes than why would I ever want to stay at the resort?

Been to Club St. Croix Beach and Tennis Resort? Share your experiences!