“Traveler beware, St. Croix isn't so peaceful” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Club St. Croix Beach and Tennis Resort

You added Club St. Croix Beach and Tennis Resort to your Saves list
Club St. Croix Beach and Tennis Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   3280 Estate Golden Rock | Rte 752, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Traveler beware, St. Croix isn't so peaceful”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

First off, I usually don’t write reviews because most hotels are Ok. However Club St. Croix deserves some remarks.
I stayed at Club St.Croix on business for almost 4 weeks, the overall condition of the condo is old and out dated, however some owners may chose to update their condo’s, and the condition of the rooms maybe better. The rooms are cleaned on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. If you need something on the off days, well good luck with your request. I must also share with you the facts regarding little critters roaming inside the rooms, cockroaches, small inch worms and mosquitoes were a normal occurrence.
The beach is corral sand, and I saw no maintenance for the entire time that I was at the resort. You will find a continuous pile of sea weed at the shore line, and weeds growing in the beach sand.
The electrical generation facilities next to the resort is very noisy, if you’re an aviation nut you will love the constant sound of the turbine generators, if you’re not an aviation nut you may not like that constant noise. It truly sounds like your next to the airport waiting for the airplane to depart, but it never departs.
I love to walk and see the site’s, I wouldn’t recommend that activity to anyone visiting this resort. St. Croix has a huge violent crime issue; there is nothing within a SAFE walking distance of this resort. You will find old abandoned apartments between Club St. Croix and downtown Christenstead. In the evening you will find all types of people roaming around that area and most are up taking part in things that I have no interest in. Matter of fact some local’s want recommend walking around the town area during the day, and certainly not at night, during the daylight maybe, but once the sun goes down you’re on your own. If you find this unbelievable just Google crime in St. Croix, and see what you find.
This place and the Island are not on my return too list, and if this is to tough to believe, well come on down and try it for yourself.

Room Tip: You need to know which owner has updated their condo's
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

I want to be as honest as possible when it comes to this resort. First off I must say I had a fantastic time visiting St. Croix. I'd recommend it to anyone, the people there a friendly and if you love the beach and a laid back atmosphere St. Croix is a vacation you must take. As for St. Croix Resort, the staff were A+, very nice and accommodating. Do keep in mind these are condos are owned by individual people so the upkeep is a shot in the dark, this resort is not an actual hotel so you don't get the amenities a traditional hotel would offer, this is like having your own apartment. I did like having the accommodation of an apartment b/c we were able to cut down cost on food, we stocked up on groceries from the store and were able to make breakfast in the mornings, etc.

We were able to check out snorkeling gear and kayaks, extra towels for free (as long as they were returned). That was a definite plus, we put them all to use.

The perk of the apartment: my fiancé and I shared a 1 bedroom apartment, full kitchen, living area, balcony facing the beach. My mother, grandmother and kids had a two bedroom apartment....this was great b/c there was ample space for everyone. There is one pool on location, we were there for 7 day and NEVER shared the pool with anyone. The traffic at this resort is very minimal, we loved it. It was like having our own personal pool. The kids loved it and put it to use every single day. The restaurant, Breezes which is one site was great. Never had a bad meal there. Just like the pool, we never shared the small beach either.

Now for the interior: I must say I am extremely particular about the cleanliness and newness of places I reside for any length of time. My expectations might be a little higher than any typical individual.....so this is where my ONLY complaint comes in. The interior of this resort is dated, very dated so if you can't get around that you might want to try more of an upscale resort. The place we initially were given had a ring in the toilet, the tub looked like it could stand to be replaced; actually the bathroom and kitchen looked like it could stand to be gutted and replaced as a whole. Once we went to the staff to get the rooms switched, the second place we were given was a notch up. The bathrooms and kitchen we still very dated, but much cleaner. I wasn't at my utmost comfortable there (due to the dated feel) but I made due. Please note I am very particular about these things, especially when it comes to a bathroom (which were only doable).

Remember, these condos are individually owned so some are much nicer/rundown than others. So, it's kind of like gambling staying here. I'd recommend it if you don't mind 2 star interior accommodations, while keeping in mind everything else this resort has to offer comes with no complaint.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

I have never met more friendly, hospitable or pleasant people in all my world travel than I have at Club St. Croix. Many of the people here were long term residents or their visitors, and all were very happy to be in such a paradise. The grounds are lovingly cared for by an older couple who live here year round. The office is staffed by friendly women willing to give advice on restaurants and activities around the island. The restaurant on site, Breezez, is one of the best on the island for lunch and dinner with large, beautifully presented, delicious meals! The rooms can vary widely, but are basically large and comfortable with kitchens that include utensils, full size stove and refrigerator! The pool and hot tub are perfect and well-maintained. There isn't much more to ask for at this price. Renting a car gets you to all the best snorkeling beaches!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Flemington, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

Have seen both positive and negative reviews, and I agree with them all. Staff wasn't the most friendly (Not Marriott for sure), but this is corporate housing/condos, and not a 5 star resort. On site restaurant "Breezez" has unbelievalbe food, large portions, and good drinks. NO issues with staff there. Pool was clean and available 24-hours, including a large hot tub. Rooms have spotty room service. I believe only 3-4 days a week I had service. The beach is not a swimming beach. Behind the reef and full of seaweed. This place is also next door to the refinery, so you hear that most of the night unless you have the AC on. No night activities there, other then the local condo bars right there. Know where you are traveling, and never alone in the area. OVerall, not a bad value, as long as your using it as a sleeping quarters and not much else. You'll need a car to get into either Christiansted (10 mins) or over to Fredericksted (30+minutes). There is a hot spot available, but not the quickest, and a little expensive.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
CHARLOTTE NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

Arrived at resort with an email confirmation for 2 bedroom condo and was given a 1 bedroom unit. When I questioned the error, was told no 2 bedroom unit available; the clerk said was not her fault, she was not the person who made reservation with me (I made reservation over the phone), but could send us to a "sister property". That "sister" resort was totally unacceptable, but that is another review. My family and I lost hours of our vacation trying to find other accommodations. To further my frustration, I requested a credit card receipt for a refund of my deposit and was told to come back the next day and speak to supervisor. Do not trust this resort, even with confirmed reservations! Very poor customer service.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
New York City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

Rooms were ok. You have a full kitchen so you can cook. This hotel is on the beach but it is horrible. Not able to swim beacuse of seaweed and grass. We traveled to hotel on the cay everyday to enjoy the beach. If you are looking for a cheap place to stay with no frills this is the place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

Out of everywhere we stayed in the BVI and USVI this was my favorite place. We were only able to stay one night but the condo was extremely comfortable. The office staff was somewhat short but overall the experience was great. The condo had its own kitchen and a nice patio overlooking the private beach. The condo is also very close to downtown shopping in Christiansted. It was only about a 10 minute drive at the most.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Club St. Croix Beach and Tennis Resort? Share your experiences!