“Eclectic vibe with historical charm-- great location for exploring island.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Club Comanche

You added Club Comanche to your Saves list
Club Comanche
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Strand St | Waterfront boardwalk, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Annapolis, MD
“Eclectic vibe with historical charm-- great location for exploring island.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

I stayed at the Comanche for 5 says in early October 2010. My travel purpose was mission-specific: to explore the island, fact-find and network. I was using my hotel room simply as a crash-pad at the end of each day exploring, and to that end, I was very glad for the location. This was my first visit to STX, but have travelled throughout the Eastern Caribbean.

My room was in the old, original part of the hotel. Spacious enough but the lighting was insufficient to read at night. The staff placed an iron & ironing board in my room just prior to check-in as they noted that I called in advance to learn if they had them on property. Nice touch! The housekeeper was great! She and I spoke each morning as I left the hotel, starting my day with a smile.

The hotel's restaurant / bar was not open during my stay. I never swam in the pool, but it looked inviting.

The hotel is literally one block from the Boardwalk, where I had several breakfast & dinner options. I parked my rental car in the "government lot" only two blocks away. I always felt safe walking thru town at night.

In all, the central location in C'sted made the Comanche the perfect base camp for my island explorations.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Jst01, Director of Sales at Club Comanche, responded to this review, January 19, 2011
Thank you very much for your comments.
We are lookign forward to welcoming you again at the Club Comanceh hotel as soon as possible.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Kingsland, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

Arrived on July 2, 2010; no one there to greet us. Apparently the person on the previous shift went home early. They were extremely disorganized. Out of toiilet paper for 2 days; housekeeping missed our room. The noise was loud all night long. The pool was GREEN the entire time. Still, Under some type of renovation. After 4 days of misery, we went to another hotel. I left a message for the owner/manager who never returned the call. Phones in room do not work. I would advise you to stay somewhere else. Our experience was HORRIBLE. I love St. Croix and have stayed at many other hotels. For me, this was the WORST experience and guess what, I paid for it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Jst01, Director of Sales at Club Comanche, responded to this review, September 1, 2010
Thank you very much for your comments.
We have taken measures with the owner of the hotel in order to assure that the negative experiences you had are not repeated and that our guests leave the hotel with the positive impressions as they did before and after your stay.
We would like to apologize again for your negative experience and offer you a complimentary
free return stay at the Club Comanche.

Please contact me at your convenience.

VI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

On the outside this hotel appears and shows signs that its dated, but through recently made renovations inside its rooms it made a great weekend getaway. Before reserving a room at Club Comanche I was aware of its not so good reputation, but decided to give it another look once I heard of its renovations. Also, recently the hotel did host former U.S. President Carter. Although this hotel received bad ratings in the past, I am pleased to have stayed here over the weekend not only for its value but also for its amenities. I stayed in a loft suite and was pleased with its space and comfort. The room was provided with two a/c units, flat screen tv, small fridge, kitchenette, outdoor patio over looking the boardwalk and docks, a bed on the floor level and a spiral stairway to the top bed with a skylight. There was a chest of draws that seemed dated along with a safe within a walk in closet. The bathroom was clean, but would be better served with an updated shower and toilet. The ladies at the front desk were welcoming and helpful. The location of the hotel was great for bars, restaurants, shopping, and adventures at sea. If you like nightlife then this hotel is great because of the nearby bars that have bands that play till 1 in the morning. However, if you are looking for peace and quiet then you may want to stay elsewhere. Overall I had a good experience with Club Comanche and would recommend it to others with some exceptions.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Jst01, Director of Sales at Club Comanche, responded to this review, August 29, 2010
Thank you very much for your comments.
The Club Comanche has been fully refurbished and modernized and opened again in December 2009 and was very proud to received President Carter and family during the Christmas and New Years period.
The central location at the Christiansted boardwalk and the well mainatined historic atmospahre of this 23 room hotel is one of its many advantages to enjoy a great stay in Christiansted and St.Croix.

Looking forward to receiving you again.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

I recently returned to the island of St. Croix to visit my family and stayed at this lovely hotel. The junior suite was awesome! Needless to say there are a few things that they can improve upon that would definitely give them five stars: install an elevator-no fun dragging your packages up three flight of stairs; need a microwave in the rooms or common area-most kitchens at nearby restaurant close at 9:30pm; and a backup generator-unless u walked w/a flashlight u r out of luck when WAPA decides to cut the electricity. However, we enjoyed our stay. The staff were friendly and answered any questions we had concerning things to do around the boardwalk. We'll definitely stay again even w/o the amenities mentioned earlier.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your comments.
We are definitely looking into your recomendations which hopefully can be implemented
in the near future.

Looking forward to welcoming you again at the Club Comanche

Chicagoland, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

With high hopes, we booked a suite at Club Comanche months before our visit. We liked the idea of being in town, walking distance to the waterfront, shops, and restaurants. The pictures shown on this site indicated that the suite would be large and airy with a fine view of the bay.

Then we got to Christiansted. Passing drunks and dumpsters, we travelled down an alley to the hotel. Immediately we could tell that the owners were still in the midst of renovation---in the lobby a bed sheet covered some construction equipment. The front desk receptionist was pleasant however and showed us to our room. It was not the suite we had booked (specifically Room #29 or #39), but was a standard room (#14), very plain, with no bay view, and a strong smell of mothballs. We informed her of the error, she checked the paperwork and agreed with us that the wrong room was reserved. She told us that the suite was booked for a wedding party and we were put into #14. Of course, this was not acceptable. She apologized, cancelled the reservation and recommended the Buccaneer resort.

The Buccaneer turned out to be pricey, but wonderful.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

My husband and I just got back from Club Comanche at the end of April and had a wonderful time. We stayed in the historical room and it was like staying at a bed and breakfast... cozy, clean, and intimate. If you're looking for relaxation and charm this is the place to be. We had the pleasure of meeting, Gibbs, the property manager, and he took such great care of us, it was more like meeting an old friend. He gave us all the local spots that we needed to visit in St. Croix including snorkeling at Bucks Island, which was the best snorkeling we had ever experienced. We never take the time to write reviews but we were so impressed with our stay, we just had to share the experience.  Also before we left we were able to check out some of the upgraded rooms, and made a decision that we had to upgrade on our next visit, they were just that awesome! Great price, great customer service, lifelong friends made, and the best memories, need we say more?

• Stayed June 2010
Jst01, Director of Sales at Club Comanche, responded to this review, September 3, 2010
Thank you very much for your comment.

We are looking forward to welcoming you in the near furture at the Club Comanche again.

Sincerely

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

When we came to St. Croix the cab driver brought us to the Club Camache and they treated us day by day with such excellence, that during our stay I cried tears of joy. We had planned to go to another hotel but ended up in this one and to our surprize we were blessed beyond measure. We had the hotel to ourselves, we were given a discount the first day with the first free drinks, next day we paid full hotel price. Then we had just gotten married and did not have the amount of cash to pay so as I told the manager we were not sure what to do we were not sure if we could stay and had no other place to go, and we were looking to sell my engagement ring when all of a sudden she came to our small room and told us if we'd like we could stay in a smaller room at no charge for the rest of our stay and that's when I cried for joy because it was an answer to a prayer, thus we stayed two more days in the president's suite where President Carter even stayed and we had the pool to ourselves, entertainment, and were blessed with food, money, and everything, and the best part was, I did not have to sell my engagement ring. God bless those who are blessed. It was wonderful. Thanks and God bless you Wendy!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your comments.

We are always trying to give our clients the best experience of the Club Comanche and would be very happy to welcoming you again in St.Croix

Sincerely

Jan Steinberg

Been to Club Comanche? Share your experiences!