“Very cute! More than expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Club Comanche

You added Club Comanche to your Saves list
Club Comanche
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Strand St | Waterfront boardwalk, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
DaizyB
“Very cute! More than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

Once I had decided against the idea of staying a a big resort far from town, I began looking at the hotels in the historical center. The Club Comanche appealed to me based on it's location and the history of the building itself. The main part of the hotel has stood there fore 250 years though the entire colonial history of the island. It's hosted presidents and scholars and weathered the storms through good times and bad. It boasts the island's first elevator (not working at the time of my visit but interesting) and the island's first swimming pool. The whole place has been painstakingly restored with great deference to it's historic character and furnished with antiques and reproductions for a very authentic feel. Like most historic wooden hotels, the walls are thin and you may hear some noise from other rooms or from outside but though other reviews have called it noisy, I really did not have a problem with this from my third floor room. The whole property is very clean and the open air hotel bar brings in a very friendly mix of visitors and locals. The bar has live must on some nights and I was told that there is salsa dancing one night per week. This is a great place for an independent traveler who wants to feel the culture of the area firsthand but visitors should know that there is no 24 hour front desk staff so if you are arriving very early or very late it s a good idea to call ahead to be sure that someone will be there to greet you with your keys. The building has key access after hours and the area feels very safe. There is also no restaurant at the hotel itself but the bar serves small bites from the grill and there is a deli down below the bar and plenty of restaurants in easy walking distance. The staff is very friendly and were happy to offer suggestions or assistance when needed but mostly you will come and go on your own. There is no onsite parking but the lot down Strand St always had plenty of space. The location is right on the harbor so it is a good departure point for fishing or diving trips. If you're looking for an all-inclusive, tour-managed experience, this is not for you but for a more self-sufficient traveler, the Club Comanche provides a very clean, safe and comfortable home base from which to explore.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
, Director of Sales at Club Comanche, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments and we would e happy to welcoming you again at
the Club Comanche Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Irvine, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Initially this hotel is charming and cute. The main building is a very old plantation with wood plank floors. There is a bar attached that has no windows and the bar staff are amazing. I will say too that almost all the hotel staff are very nice. However I would not recommend staying here at all. I called when we landed in Miami to touch base with the hotel as we wouldn't be getting in until 9:30 at night due to delays. The woman was fairly rude saying "Oh we wont have anyone here past 11." After pushing her to explain what I should do she informed me a night manager would be on site. She refused to explain how to reach said night manager. Helpful. Upon check in we were told to lug our own bags up four flights of stairs (no elevator), the last of which was barely wide enough to fit a bag. More like tree house steps. Our first room was fine, it faced the bar so we heard a good amount of noise late into the night but it was tolerable. Once the screamer came into the room below us it was no longer tolerable. After keeping us up until 4 a.m. we moved rooms. The hotels staff was amazing about it and said she was putting us in their best room. It appeared cute, with a loft bed area. We were told a former president recently stayed here. That would embarrass me. First, while I am grateful for how helpful she was and moving us to a nicer room, can you explain why when someone asks to be moved due to noise you move them to a room LITERALLY over a night club. That night we were up until 3:30 a.m. Then when trying to sleep in the next day our neighbors decided to have a room party. We were nearly homicidal at this point and had paid for an expensive trip to Buck Island, which was wasted as we fell asleep on the boat. Lovely. Secondly, when I say that the room appeared nice at first, let me explain why. First, I have never seen a cleaning woman spend more than 10 mins in a room. This makes me sure they don't clean the floors (hopefully they do between guests.) This was confirmed upon stepping on a strangers cut toenail. The hotel room had crayon all over a few of the walls. I understand a former guest is at fault, but wouldn't you fix this? Only some bathroom lights works. Oh and the bathroom. I am attaching pics. The toilet is not even bolted to the floor. The toilet lid is broken. There are tiles missing on the wall so it shows the toilets plumbing. The shower is ok but a bit grimy. The fridge that is provided needed to be wiped down in and out. There were blinds that at one time were on a window, just on the floor now. They do have cable but that means 4 channels. They have Wifi, assuming a island "native" child didn't go take a bat to the satellites and knock it out (yes this happened.) Some of the floor tiles in the room are chipped which just makes it look bad when it is actually newly renovated. There is a closet but they just have a bunch of damaged dry cleaning hangers for you to use. They also provide a blow dryer but I would bring your own. Mine was half broken and held together with electrical tape. Our first room had a nice working safe. Our second rooms safe was rusted and did not work. Lastly the rug on the floor is seriously stained. I could assume it is water but who really knows. Overall this is a fairly cute place with nice location but do not stay here. I actually recommend the Buchaneer. This place just has no amenities and the only one (the bar) closed for good two days ago. Sleep is just impossible here and nearby restaurants are horrible.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
, Director of Sales at Club Comanche, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Thank you very much for your response. All your suggestions and observations were already passed on to the management of the hotel and a variety of improvements have been realized already like to the change of the bar concessionary with new limted hours and different type of music.
We would be very happy to welcoming you soon again at the Club Comanche in order for you to experience all the changes.
Northof Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

I was on STX to meet up with a group of friends, some staying at Caravelle and some islanders. I chose the Comanche because the Caravelle was booked- lucky break for me! I had reserved a Jr. Suite, but when asked was told that that level room didn't have a TV viewable from bed, which was important to me. They quickly offered me another room, not a suite, but a beautiful room. As the week went on, I was THRILLED to be in the room I had, as the suites are situated closer to the boardwalk and would be noisy. I had a great nights sleep every night- the most bothersome noise was the rooster that cackled every morning at 3:30am- nothing anyone can do about that! There is no elevator, be prepared to carry your luggage up 2 or 3 flights of stairs- my suitcase weighed 48 pounds ( a woman needs shoes, right?)... The bar at the Comanche was great- St. Patricks Day in STX is not to be missed. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Historical rooms on the second floor are probably your best bet- 3rd floor is a long way to carry su...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
, Director of Sales at Club Comanche, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments and will be happy to wlecoming you again at the
Club Comanche Hotel.
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

The Hotel was rustic and beautiful. Like a trip back in time. Very clean and had great service.
I could only find a couple things wrong with it. It was impossible to sleep in. Roosters crowing (5:30 am) and loud noices from the street. And the foot steps on floor above. If not for these issues I would rate it a 5. The hotel has an old world, rustic tuscan feel about it. Comfortable bed. Very nice linen for bed and luxurious towels. Loved the antiques all through out. Didn't go swimming but honestly it should be alot cleaner. The sides had green algae on them. Wasn't appealing. I would defiantly stay here again. Weekdays preferably. My stay was a Friday nite. The women at desk at check in was an angel. We had a suite. Room 3.

Room Tip: Suite on third floor, corner room. Room 3 was beautiful but loud. Make sure you let them know you wa...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Jst01, Director of Sales at Club Comanche, responded to this review, March 4, 2012
Thank you very much for your response, we are always trying our best to keep pur clients as happy and satisfied as possible and are always very happy about each comment which is the only way to maintain and improve our product and service.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon at the Club Comanche Hotel.

Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

I booked this hotel/trip as a surprise for my fiance's b-day, just for the weekend. And after reading some of the reviews I was a little concerned about what to expect. Now that I have actually stayed there I am happy that I did. Initially when we arrived in Christiansted from the airport there was a local festival called "Jump Up" that was in full swing. Unfortunately this meant the street leading to Club Comanche was shut down, so we had to walk a block to get to the hotel. Initially I was very concerned as I walked into the hotel because in the night light the building looked like it was in poor condition. But once you enter the building(which is clean and well kept) you realize you are experiencing a piece of history. Our room was on the third floor(room 5) and was spacious with a fan, AC and flat screen television. Unfortunately 5 minutes after arriving my fiance managed to clog the toilet. When we notified the woman at the front desk she immediately moved us with no hassle to room 7. Just being inside of the rooms make you feel like you are part of history. As some of the earlier comments stated: YES the building is noisy! The floors are made from planks so often times you can hear people in the building walking around. However I didnt find this to be annoying instead it added to the feel of the building. Also since the hotel is attached to a bar, there are night that you will hear the bar patrons partying. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

On a side note, avoid purchasing food and drinks(alcohol) from the bars and restaurants on the boardwalk.They are very over priced. Instead try some of the off the board walk spots where the locals eat. In particular I would recommend "Kim's" cafe. Me and my fiance had delicious meal and drinks and the total bill was $7.00, Yes I said seven dollars!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Jst01, Director of Sales at Club Comanche, responded to this review, March 21, 2012
Thank you very much for your comment.
The Club Comanche Hotel is trying to permantly improve its installations and service therefore your comments are very important to us.
We are looking forward to welcoming you soon again at the Club Comanche Hotel.
Maple Shade, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

Although the staff was very nice, the room was basic and ok, the pool was dark green. We moved to another hotel after just a couple days.

Room Tip: beware of roof leaks. I think this is common in many of the Christiansed boardwalk hotels
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you very much fro your comment, we admit that we had some technical issue with our
pool cleaning equipment which resulted in the growth of some alga which afterwards was controlled.
We are sorry for the inconvenience caused and looking forward to welcoming you again soon
at the Club Comanche Hotel.

Little Rock, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

I was invited on a trip so I wasn't aware of the area or hotel. My expectations weren't initially met but my experience in the area was good for what it was. Better company would've made my trip better but that's a side issue :-(. Just be careful of the room you reserve. Our initial room was in the building beside the pool (to the left from the lobby). It was very small and shallow. I, personally, didn't feel safe. The bed was on rollers on the wooden floor and would roll around if we weren't careful. The bathroom was very tiny. The tv was in the sitting area in the front of the sittingroom, so watching tv in bed was not happening. It was EXTREMELY noisy outside. With very thin walls and no real windows, it was our biggest issue. We were tired the 1st night and there was an event in the outdoor lounge. the DJ played VERY LOUD music, very late. Someone, we don't know who, clanked something glass or metal around into late hours. It sounded like glasses shattering. The patrons at the pool sounded like they were in the room with you. The staff allowed us to switch rooms (after 2nights) to the main building. Very old and historical. :-) We lost out decent view but all else was eliminated which made us happy. The new room was beautiful. Dark wooden floor, updated and very clean bathroom. Very comfortable bed. I felt safer now and there was a Tv we could see from the bed. The hotel offers adult theme nights at the outdoor lounge w local, Carribean and American music, all genres. Food and drinks. Boardwalk restaurants are within walking distance. Recreation is pretty much limited to watersports so pray for no rain and we unfortunately got a lot after the hurricane. So also be aware of the weather. For me, there wasn't much to do. I recommend this island only to relax. Take an island/rainforest tour w a cabdriver. They are very knowledgeable of their island. There's no sandy beaches unless you go to the other side of the island, pay for a snorkeling/partyboat tour or boat over to Hotel on the Cay. You can travel to the otherside of the island to the casino or take a hopperflight to another island. So be aware of what you want on an island vaca in St Croix or staying at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010
Thank you very much for your comment which are very important to us.
As you have experience the Club Comanche Hotel is very centrally located at the boardwalk of the harbor in Christiansted close to a variety of lounges, bars and restaurants which do offer different types of entertainment all in walking distance.
The Island of St.Croix offers many different options of recreation since in its history has a variety of influences of the Spanish,Dutch,French,Knights of Malta, English and Danish occupational periods additional to the nature related activities (called the Green Island) and many more.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again at the Club Comanche Hotel.

Director of Sales
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Hotel on the Cay
The Palms at Pelican Cove
The Palms at Pelican Cove
#1 of 16 in Christiansted
4.5 of 5 stars 941 reviews

Been to Club Comanche? Share your experiences!