“The best kept secret in the Virgin Islands!” 5 of 5 stars

Chenay Bay Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   East End Rd, Route 82, Christiansted 00824, St. Croix   |
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Anson, Maine
“The best kept secret in the Virgin Islands!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

After a long and tiring trip, my husband and I were greeted by the staff as though we were family. My husband developed a bad chest cold and Victor, the manager had the taxi driver go into town to pick up cough medicine for him! The beach was beautiful, the snorkeling was fantastic! The restaurant was open all the time, and the food was consistently good. We loved Chenay Bay so much that we bought a time share and will be back every year. Thanks,Patty for a wonderful presentation! The resort's location is perfect--very secluded yet close to everything.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

Upon arrival we were told our oceanview room wasn't available, so we were placed in a very nice one-bedroom cottage. The cottage was very nice, with nice amenities, but the microwave door handle was broken, as was a leg on the sofa table. The bed was very comfortable, the the lovely shower had very low water pressure. Again, the good with the bad. After four days in the lovely cottage, we were moved to our originally reserved one-room oceanview room. This room had not been renovated, and although it was sufficient, it certainly wasn't worth the $200/night price tag. And to make matters worse, the tub had been recently painted white--and during its first use, the paint began to bubble and peel off---totally gross. We placed a towel in the bottom of the tub for the remainder of the visit. Is that something I should have had to do at a supposedly luxury beach cottage?

We only ate breakfast at the hotel, and the eggs were runny and the food was expensive, so we ate in town for the rest of the trip. Much better food and cheaper food off the property.

The beach is lovely and peaceful, and although there were three kayaks, there was no sailboat as promised. This was a big letdown to my husband and kids. The snorkel gear is free, but it's older and must be returned by 4 or 5 pm, which can be tricky.

All in all we had a good trip, but Chenay Bay did not live up to our expectations, and there were a lot of bad, dirty, broken items behind the thin veneer curtain.

New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

This was our second year staying at Chenay Bay and I was very disappointed for a number of reasons: When we arrived at around 5:30 pm after traveling all day, the room I had reserved wasn't ready. They tried to put us in a smaller cottage, but I had already paid for (and wanted) the larger one, so we had to wait for an hour while the bigger cottage was cleaned. There was no phone in the cottage which surprised me. The microwave hadn't been cleaned from the people who stayed in the cottage before us. The room was cleaned every day, but one day no towels were left for us one day and I didn't notice until I was already in the shower. My daughter woke up one morning to find a giant cockroach about 6 inches from her head. i understand that there are bugs in the tropics, but, together with everything else that was going on, it just made it all worse. We ate a few meals at the restaurant--breakfast was fine, dinner was always a long wait to be served. There are a lot of new "amenities" added since last year like hammocks and a small fountain pool, and beds at the pool and on the beach, but it felt like the management spent more time on these "unnecessaries" when they should have been putting ebergy into getting more laundry facilities and more help in the kitchen and a better cleaning staff. We won't be going back.

Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

It has taken awhile but I am finally getting to my review. Although our stay was far from perfect, it was NOT due to the resort.

Leaving from MI and meeting up with my friend in Cold NYC, we were so ready for the warmth of the Caribbean. We landed at about 4:30 and we fell in love with the island immediately.

We picked up our rental car and headed to CB. We pulled in and went to check in and met one of many of the nice people that work there. She gave us a ride to our room and we immediately dumped our bags and headed to the bar. What a wonderful time there. All the bartenders are great! And the people we met there were also.

Although we were not in a renovated unit and the room I requested was not provided we enjoyed our unit. There were two issues we found and they were fixed within an hour. And like many other reviews we had to ask for more towels. No biggie.

Unfortunately for me I cut my foot severely the first night there, so I was not able to enjoy the pool or hot tub until the last night. Which brings me to housekeeping, I bled all over the unit that night. I left a message for them at the front desk so they would not think I killed someone in the room. I wish I could remember her name but the housekeeper was so nice to us. I kept apologizing and she kept saying don't worry about it.

They have beds on the beach and we slept there one night until the sun started to come up and those pesky biting bugs came out, so remember bug spray.

As this was a very short 3 night trip and also my injury, we spent all our time at the resort and we did not regret doing so. The restaurant food was fabulous, the pool was beautiful, the view of the bay spectacular and all we met made us feel we all had been friends for years.

Some things to consider if staying here, rent a car. There is nothing close by if you want to buy food or drink or bandages like I needed!! But the fact it is away from everything else, makes the resort that much more beautiful. I would also suggest booking directly with the resort so you can get the type of room you really want.

From Nikki, Patty, Victor, and the rest of the staff, they did everything they could to make a difficult trip enjoyable. We hope to see everyone again very soon.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

This is rustic luxury. It's not a five star resort and that's what makes it wonderful. There is a laid back feeling that works here, but the staff will do anything to help you out. The front desk crew are filled with smiles and an island sense of humor. The bartenders are a blast and made us feel at home.
We had one of the older units, but it was perfectly fine for us; clean, comfortable and with great maid service. Even though all 50 units were filled, this place is nice and quiet, short on spring breakers and long on older families.
But it's the setting that really sets Chenay Bay apart. The view from our cottage was tremendous. Every morning we would watch the hummingbirds feed on the oleander and listen to the wave kiss the beach which is pristine. We walked for miles only seeing a few people along the way.
We took advantage of the free kayak and paddled out to Green Cay and used the snorkel gear, having great luck at a reef right off our beach. We didn't leave the resort for the first three days, just soaked up the sun and atmosphere. A great respite from the ravages of winter.
The endless pool is a nice touch and it's got a cool light show at night along with a hot tub.
You'll probably need a car to see the rest of the island, we rented one for just under $50 dollars a day that had a shuttle back to the airport. Christiansted is a cool little town, if you want what the locals eat, check out Harvey's on Company Street, they'll make you feel welcome.
Anyway we hope to return to St. Croix; Chenay bay is the only place we would stay, it was the perfect fit for us.

Cincinnati, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

I don't know where these other folks stayed, but we found this place to be a great resort if you like the basics. Our unit was clean, and steps from the pool and beach. The pool is very nice, and the mile-long nature reserve beach next to the resort provided great walks with no crowds.

The food at the restaurant was as good as anything we found in St. Croix and the staff were pleasant.

If you want a high end Caribbean experience, don't go to St. Croix. But if you want great value, no cruise ship crowds, good infrastructure, local crafts, and great history, this is a wonderful place. I have been to several Caribbean islands, and this is the only one I have found that I would on live full-time.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Kalamazoo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

Stayed here for six nights and found it to be very adequate, with many future improvements visibly on the way. We just happened to be here one year too early to enjoy an updated cottage. Pros: Lovely grounds, beautiful swimming pool, cordial staff and a sheltered cove location make this a nice choice—but you really need a rental car to get around the rest of the island. The on-site Mahi Restaurant was excellent on the two nights we dined there seeking the fresh catch. Cons: Not enough fresh beach towels, inadequate plumbing everywhere and overrated snorkeling off the resort's beachfront. Two easy-to-read-between-the-lines manager invitations posted on our front door was the only pressure for the time-share sales pitch.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Chenay Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!