“One of the best places to stay on St. Croix” 5 of 5 stars

Chenay Bay Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   East End Rd, Route 82, Christiansted 00824, St. Croix   |
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
A TripAdvisor Member
“One of the best places to stay on St. Croix”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2006

I had lived on the island of St. Croix for three years. Being a small island you get to know most people and visit most hotels, especially those with a beach.
Since I have left STX (St Croix) I have always stayed at the Chenay Bay Resort because of many reasons. The security is great, the staff goes out of their way to be helpful and friendly. The beach is one of the best on STX. The little restaurant and bar is cozie and you know everyone and they know you.
You should have a car when staying at this Resort but on STX you need one any way. The restaurant has all three means, which are good but you make your own night life. That’s not hard there. Close is Cheese Burger in Paradise which has great food.
You will love the cozy bungalows. They have a GREAT air conditioning system, kitchen and bathroom with shower.

From the stand point of being a X resident and now a tourist, I recommend The Chenay Bay Resort to anyone that’s wants a great holiday.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Bolingbrook, Illlinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2006

I have to be honest and tell you that I read alot of the reviews before I began to write my own. What I noticed were alot of complaints about the accomodations. I for one was looking for exactly what Chenay Bay was offering, simple, quiet, and as laid back as day in the 70's (that's 1970's). I'm not saying the cottages are outdated, I know from conversations with the staff and Pete that they are in the process of remodeling;(which is no easy task since everything has to be brought from the mainland). Some of the guests went on about their cottages, and how wonderful they are now. On the subject of remodeling, the pool was under renovation while we were there and the staff bent over backwards to keep the pool area usable. Listening to descriptions of the cottages of those that stayed there and were not happy, I suspect they were in the duplexes. We stayed there as well and again, not a problem.

One thing that was easy to keep in mind is that this island is not a huge tourist island YET, that is one of the things we liked best. If you go over to the other side of the island in Fredrickstead you'll see the contruction going on to increase tourism. The other thing we had noticed was that everywhere we
looked, most people were pretty darned close to our age 40ish to 60ish. It was really groovy to see so many people just enjoying their youth all over again; at Buck Island; in town acting like newlyweds again; and, witnessing a wedding on the beach of Chenay Bay Resort with the sun setting behind the happy young couple, it all seemed so natural to be a part of. We traveled the rain forest-bummer though, we missed the 400 hundred pound beer drinking pig. The forest was "far out", and we had so much fun driving around and accidently finding the most awesome beaches and sites.We watched the Super Bowl down at the bar and had a great time - how could you not with a guy like Patrick whipping up some of the best drinks around. Josephine cooks up a mean meal and Lindsey, Taylor, and Nikki hauled their poor young butts as fast as they could, if we had to wait a bit because of some unforseen problem, oh well, we are on island time and it's just the way we like it. Structured is something you do everyday at your "home" life, here is a place to "don't worry, be happy",not sweat the big stuff at home. Next time we come we will be sure to make our reservations so we don't have to leave just as a groovy band like FOGHAT was about to begin playing a concert at Chenay Bay - ahhh! Woodstock! Well maybe not quite, but it's a great place to stay if you really really like to go back to a time in your life when you could just space out to the sound of the ocean and feel young again, do whatever you want to do, swim, snorkel, dive, dance, drink, eat, sleep or restaurant hop, sightsee, shell search, or just don't do a damned thing, it's all good.
Thank you, Pete, Debbie, Josephine and the kitchen staff; Taylor, Lindsey, Patrick, Nikki, and the rest of the waite staff; those crazy ladies in the office, and all the hardworking employees at Chenay Bay for making our trip Far Out! We'll be back!
We are The Bushwackers from the southwest burbs of Chicago! Larry & Sue and Don & Judy

• Stayed January 2006
Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2006

We went to Chenay bay from March 1 - March 7 with our two children (ages 3 & 5). First, I have to say, that I'm generally not a complainer and it takes a lot for me to give someone a negative review. But, I feel that it's necessary here, so that someone else doesn't take their family on a vacation and wind up shocked and dissapointed, as we were.

After traveling for 14 hours and being on three airplanes we arrived at Chenay Bay at 10:30 pm. I had called before we left to find out where we should get dinner since the restaurants at the airport and on the island were closed that late. I also asked for towels so we could take a shower when we arrived. I was told that they would have dinner for us in our room when we arrived and towels, so we wouldn't need to worry about it. When we got there we were greeted by a security guard who let us into our room since the front desk staff had already gone home. Not only was there NO FOOD in this room, but there were dead cockroaches and worms on the floor, no sheets on the beds, no towels for a shower and the room was absolutely filthy (I actually cleaned the toothpaste off the sink, just so I could brush my teeth there). The four of us ate the leftover crackers from my suitecase for dinner, left our shoes on since the floor was so dirty, and slept on the filthy beds.

The next morning we went down to the front desk and were told that we were put in the wrong room. Although the staff and owner were very apologitic nothing was done to make sure that our continued stay was a better experience. So, we moved our belongings to a different room. The new room was substantially better. It was still very old with noticable water damage in the shower. We had two adjoining rooms with nice size beds.

However, there were still lots of bugs in this room (mostly mosquitoes, ants and moths--which I can live with when camping--just not while vacationing in the Carribbean!!) but at least it had been cleaned so none of them were dead. Still, the rooms were liveable, but certainly not what I would consider a desirable place to stay. The safe did not work, the rooms were barely cleaned, the beds were not made one of the days, and a few of the days towels were just dropped off still in their bags, not hung up. It was run down and didn't seem well maintained.

Also, there seemed to be a towel shortage there. We were always only given one towel per person, so we never had enough towels for using at the beach and for showering. When we asked for beach towels from the water sports guy, he gave us two and told us that we're supposed to use the ones in our room. This meant that we had to use two towels for the beach for four people and two towels for four people for our showers.

On our last night at Chenay Bay, when we returned home from the beach to take a shower before dinner we found that our hot water had gone out. I called the front desk and was told that they would call a plumber. At this point, my confidence in the staff was fairly low so we decided just to take cold showers so we could get our hungry kids to dinner. The front desk did call back and offer for us to go to a different room to shower, but it was too late, we were just getting out of the shower (and, we were drying our family with ONE shower towel that we had saved). In the morning, we took our cold showers and were thankful to be leaving Chenay Bay. We headed back to the airport for home.

I mentioned a lot of this to the owner while I was there. He apologized, made some excuses and said to come try their hotel again. He did absolutely nothing to make us feel any better about our stay there.

On a positive note, I do have to say that although the staff seemed very disorganized, some of them were very nice. Especially Jonny in the restaurant and a few others. They made our stay outside of the room very enjoyable. Also, the beach, pool, tennis courts and jacuzzi are nice. Snorkling and water sports are also provided there.

Recommendations: Big beards tours to Buck Island--great crew and snorkeling. Cheeseburgers in Paradise is great for kids. Cane Beach is a nice beach with great snorkeling. The restaurant across the street is also good.

• Stayed March 2006
, General Manager at Chenay Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 15, 2006
I agree that the first night these guests were put in the wrong room. Although my front desk agent who is new put the wrong key in the envelope,I live on property and if they would have said something to the Security Guard who assisted them to their room, or called me as my number is right on the phone, I would have immediately taken care of the problem and settled them into the correct cottages where there was sandwiches and water waiting for them. The next day the owner, Peter Locke met them and they were very nice about the mistake, not at all like the statements they are making here.
We got them settled immediately into the cottage that was prepared for them and followed up to make sure that they were okay which they said they were and it was great.
I saw them numerous times throughout their stay and never once did they mention any of the issues they are writing about here.
Unfortunately the element went on the hot water heater, but the front desk offered them another room immediately which they turned down.
We do not have a towel shortage and all they had to do was say that not enough towels were being left and we would have given them as many additional towels as they wanted.
They met both the owner and myself and couls have asked to speak to us at anytime throughout their stay and all these minor issues could have been resolved. We live on property so that we can be accessible at anytime to our guests.
I do appreciate their positive comments on our amenities and some of our staff.
Debi Gerson-Locke
Manager

Rochester, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2006

I stayed at Chenay Bay for a week in February with my wife and 11 year old twins. We had a family cottage, which was the two halves of a duplex cottage with the connecting door open. The office staff was pleasant and helpful. When we checked in they called me by name before I told them who I was, and the girl walked us to our accomodation. The accommodation was roomy and reasonably comfortable. There was a king bed on our side and a king and queen on the kids' side. The rooms were old, though, and in need of a major renovation (see photos). Paint peeing off walls in several places, chipped cabinets, bathroom drain plugs dysfunctional. The microwave, fridge and coffemaker all worked, though, and the decrepit rooms didn't really affect our stay. The pool was also in need of a major renovation. Numerous chips off the bottom, All the edging tile gone; rusty nails sticking out of the edge, and that by the shallow end stairs where you would expect little kids to be. There were some guys there one day talking to the manager about plans to fix up the pool, so they are working on it. WIth all that, the kids loved it and swimming was refreshing. The property in general was very pretty (when the garbage was emptied) with lots of tropical flowers and great views of the bay. Some of the other units are time-share, and they looked in much better shape, at least from the outside. The beach was coarse sand with a lot of shells in many places. So many shells and fragments of shells it was hard to walk on. On the other hand, once you got past that part, the water was warm and calm, and the long beach was very uncrowded, great for a walk or just relaxing. You could snorkel right off the beach. There were some Hobie cats drawn up there, but when we asked about taking one out, were told that they were privately owned. The resort does have a Sunfish, but the watersports guy told us that the bay was vitually impossible to sail with a Sunfish because of the current and wind. While we were there a guy did take it out and had to be rescued by a power boat.

The restaurant: When we checked in we were given a flier about the West-Indian Buffet that night, all you can eat and entertainment. We got reservations at 7:30 (It was advertised to run until 9 and this was the earliest I could get in) When we arived at the resteraunt, we were completely ignored. We wondered around a bit until finally a waitress seated us at a table where we couldn't see the band. (The entertainment was hokey anyway, a guy broke some glass in a box and then stood on it) The buffet food was good, but they were already out of several things. When I asked whether things would be refilled, they just shrugged. I would have hated to go any later. They did bring us deserts from the kitchen after I complained about the desert being all gone. Not a $29 value (each). We had one breakfast there which was adequate, but expensive, and the waitress was definitely on Island time. After that we ate breakfast in the room. On Monday, we went up for lunch after calling for reservations (the flier said to do this. for lunch!) When we got to the restaurant there was no help visible. There was one family seated; they said they had been waiting a long time with no help. I walked around to the bar where the bartender was explaining to a couple why they weren't getting any service. We did not go back to the restaurant after this. That was OK, as there are many very good restaurants within an easy drive. (Renting a car is highly recommended), but it would have been nice to be able to eat without a drive. Our favorite was the Cultured Pelican in the Coakley Bay Condo's. Mike, the manager does a great job, makes you feel like family, and the food was great. Duggan's Bay was good, but expensive, and we really liked Tutto Bene, except for the cigarette smoke. All in all Chenay bay was less than luxurious, comfortable, but delapidated.

• Stayed February 2006
, Owner at Chenay Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 9, 2006
I would like to thank the tripadvisor member for taking the time to review our property.We really do encourage feedback and appreciate knowing our guests concerns.First, thank you for your kind comments about our front desk staff. They are a great bunch and their helplful nature is a real plus for our guestsand property.

I do appologize for the peeling paint in your room.We had heavy rains which caused the roof in your unit to leak and the resulting drywall damage. It has been corrected since your stay.

Regarding the pool we recently poured a new concrete deck. Edging tile is not missing it has yet to be installed.The nails protruding on the edge have been removed...thanks for that!Yes there are 5 or 6 areas on the pool bottom where the marcite(exposed surface) has come off. This does not affect the swimmability( is that a word?) and our pool is always crystal clear and clean. We have completed 80% of the pool renovations leaving replacing the waterline tile and patching the marcite in the off season.

Thank you for your comments about the property being very pretty. The property is, in effect, my yard( I live on property) so I persoanlly take great pride in how it is kept.

Your comments about the beach having shells on it making it difficult to walk and the picture that you took of the beach at Chenay Bay is not our beach. It is the beach adjacent to us and we do not maintain that beach, hence there are shells and seaweed. Our beach is shown on the website and extends to the concrete walls. We rake and remove all the seaweed on our beach each and everyday and place lounge chairs and watersports equipment in an orderly fashion.We take great pride in our beach and consider it be be the best kept on St. Croix.

The sunfish along with all of our watersports are free for our guests to use. The sunfish require the most skill and as such, we interview guests to determine their skill level before allowing them to take them out. There are strong currents and winds which make sailing fun and exciting for experienced sailors but can be very difficult and overwhelming for those without the necessary expertise.

Regarding the West Indian buffet that is our busiest night and I apoligize for the servers ignoring you and for running out of food.It is a buffet and by your own admission, the food is good. With the great variety in selections we offer, many of our guests vist the buffet more than once so sometimes, it is hard to keep up.The buffet is $29 per person and your kids should have been $13.50 PP.If you paid more than that please let me know and I will credit your credit card the difference.

The floor show is a very popular item with our guests...hokey ...maybe but fun too. It is an opportunity for our guests to experience a significant part of Caribbean culture with Mocko Jumbie stilt dancers( to ward off evil spirits to protect the children of the African village) and a fire eating glass walker( to make us cringe at the sound of the glass breaking under his feet ...ouch) and enjoy one of the finest Calyso bands in the Virgin Islands, Rico and the Stars. Ali Paul who trains the Mocho Jumbies and is also the glass walker and takes his job very seriously.It is real glass and real fire and I know that if it was me doing what he does...it would hurt a lot.

As mentioned earlier we do appreciate your comments but we would have preferred to have been able to address these issues while you were here.All that being said I would like to offer you a complimentary 4 night stay at Chenay Bay for anytime in the next year.I look forward to meeting you. Please email me with your dates.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2006

We are from London and flew to Miami on the flip of a coin for our honeymoon, and then found the Chenay Bay Beach Resort in a travel book in a bookstore in Miami.

Thankfully when we called they had space.

We arrived late at night and were met by one of the nicest people we have ever met. She showed us to the most fantastic chalet, pure 5 star. We couldn’t believe the price – it was such a great deal!

We were slipped in for a late night meal, just as the restaurant was closing. The best garlic prawns on the planet – yum yum.

We were even persuaded to stay for a night’s entertainment. Thank goodness! What a sight! Kids on stilts and a lovely man who did crazy things with broken bottles….

A gentleman cutting coconut from a tree, later to take our photo…

A lovely bar man serving us fresh coconut…

Great beach…

Great guys working there….

Great ladies at reception, showing us around, persuading us to stay a while longer, advising us on beautiful jewellery….

We LOVED it. We can not fault this place and are saving hard to return to the place in the future.

Thank you guys, for a fabulous stay on our honeymoon.

We found paradise with you guys. It was a special trip for us, something that we would never usually be able to budget for, but we are saving hard to come back and visit.

Forever fans

• Stayed November 2005
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Chenay Bay in mid-January. Overall, it was what we expected, a smallish, family-style resort. We stayed in a Gardenview Cottage which was fairly clean but dated. We expected it as these were the least desirable of all the resort offers. We hear the other cottages are updated. It truly felt like a bungalow on the beach, not a 3 or 4 star resort -- but that's what we wanted -- low key and relaxed. Maybe this will help you if you are considering Chenay Bay - a list of Pros & Cons from our point of view:

Pros:
-Very friendly - if very busy all the time - staff. They work hard!
-A nice, quiet beach with a good selection of water sports equipment free to use, helpful watersports rep but he's not there full time so catch him when you can.
-Very friendly timeshare owners with tips on restaurants and shopping. This seems to be the place people either love or hate; they've been coming for years or will never visit again.
-Lots of towels to use - more than I've even received at 5-star resorts. They are a little rough on the skin.
-Big porches to sit and feel the breeze - need I say more?
-we got a $50 credit toward our food in the restaurant which made up for some negatives about the restaurant
-no riff-raff/questionable people on the beach, we weren't bothered by beach vendors

Cons:
(please keep in mind that we did not bother to voice this stuff to Chenay Bay staff about this while there. It was our only vacation this year and we didn't want to get stuck dealing with resolutions, sitting in offices, etc - also some problems will resolve themselves!)
-the resort in general seems pretty secure but our doorknob was loose
-the fixtures were very dirty in the kitchen and bathroom, the bathroom had cracks in the floor and holes in the tub
-Chenay Bay does not provide dish soap to clean the dishes they give you in the kitchen
-dirty refrigerator in our kitchen and no ice trays
-electric can opener was not working, they should just get the manual kind
-the pillowcases did not fit the pillows so we had grungy, dust-mite pillows sticking out
-the restaurant staff is slow (even for the carribbean) - we did the Saturday night pig roast because the resort promoted it so much but there was not enough food - they kept running out of stuff. The roast buffet was the same price as the Buccaneer buffet which we loved much, much more.
-only excursion detail basics available from the front desk and for just a few providers. do your research online before you go
-the bathrooms next to reception (also to be used by restaurant guests and staff) had no soap or hand towels. My waitress was in there when I was and she was not able to wash her hands with soap - yuck!
-On our last day at the resort, a Saturday, the pool was closed due to construction. We were not notified by the resort that this would be the case and we were really disappointed.

Other:
-ignore the exaggerated reviews from some bitter people as some folks will never be satisfied
-you must rent a car on this island. You will be miserable if you can't get to places when you want to go
-there are little bugs but they are everywhere you go, these are bungalows by the sea, not sterile hospital rooms
-while the pig roast was a bust we had a very lovely and delicious second dinner at the hotel restaurant

For us the biggest takeaway is that while Chenay Bay met our needs, we really did not feel we got a great deal which is not their fault. We got a package through Travelocity but in the end did the math from Chenay Bay's rate sheet and realized we paid full price for our room yet had less than full-price amenities (e.g. no working pool) and services. Travelocity said the resort is 3 stars and Chenay Bay claimed 4. We'd say it is really 2.5 stars.

If you want 4 bellman waiting for your arrival, 3 concierges at your service and 5 cooks in the kitchen this is not the place for you. If you want upscale camping - it is! Have Fun!

• Stayed January 2006
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2006

My husband and I just came back from a very enjoyable week at Chenay Bay Beach Resort. I found the place to be very clean and the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful.
I had never been in a kayak before and was a little nervous about trying it. The man in charge of the water sports took the time to explain how to do it and the correct way to manage the tides to get out to Green Cay. We enjoyed it so much that we went out again later in the week.
They are still doing some work on the pool but it was clean and usable. The hot tub worked but it wasn't very hot.
The food at the restaurant was good and because I ate the same thing for breakfast every morning after the first day the waitress remembered exactly what I wanted.

• Stayed February 2006

Been to Chenay Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!