“I want to go back...tomorrow!” 5 of 5 stars

Chenay Bay Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   East End Rd, Route 82, Christiansted 00824, St. Croix   |
Ranked #9 of 16 hotels in Christiansted
katbartram
“I want to go back...tomorrow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2009

Burke, Patty & Big D made us feel more like family than guests at this beautiful beachside resort. This was our first trip to St. Croix and, based upon our experiences at Chenay Bay, we cannot wait to return! This resort is the picture of a Caribbean vacation with gorgeous cottage accommodations, delicious food (try the Mahi!), excellent service and fantastic snorkeling and kayaking all with the gorgeous whitesand beach in the background.

We rented a car from Budget and received excellent customer service. We were fortunate enough to rent the Sebring convertible which only added to the good times. This allowed for easy island exploration at our leisure.

In terms of dining, I would definitely recommend Chenay to start with. We had breakfast, lunch (mahi of course!) and dinner (huge yummy servings) and all were wonderfully prepared and served. We also enjoyed Cheeseburgers in America's Paradise, Deep End (try Mahi - taco and sandwich), RumRunners (try Mahi sandwich and fish & chips), Fort Christian Brew Pub, Sharkey's (great wings), Savant (eclectic menu, Parisian atmosphere, great winelist)...bottom line is that you cannot go wrong on the island. We enjoy a variety of different dishes and were able to find them all. If I forgot to mention...try the MAHI ;)

If you are a wine fan, Schooner Bay has a great selection. Cakebread cabernet is a favorite of ours and we were pleased it in stock and reasonably priced.

All in all, staying at Chenay Bay made our vacation what is was. We could not have picked a better place to stay for our first our first visit to St. Croix. Should you have the opportunity to stay there, I highly recommend it....tell Burke, Patty and Big D that Dustin & Katie say hello from Kentucky!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

299 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Vanceboro, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

We loved Chenay Bay. We had a garden view room but you could totally see the ocean so I'm not sure if we were upgraded or what. From seeing the property I would think you would be able to see the ocean from most of the cottages. We were totally satisifed with our room. It was clean and comfortable. The staff was really nice. They have the cutest little cabanas and beds on the beach and the pool area is nice and just as you see in the pictures. You can also use their kayaks and snorkel stuff for free although there never seemed to be anyone manning the area where you check out the equipment.

The time share sale was a little awkward but could be avoided if you don't go to the welcome reception. The staff was so nice that we felt guilty when we didn't buy a week.

We didn't rent a car and probably spent around $120 on cabs while we were there (4 days). A car rental would have cost more but we would have been able to see a lot more of the island. However, our goal was to not do a lot and we were successful.

The food at Chenay Bay was reasonable. We ate at the bar twice for around $20 for two people. Dinner at the restaurant was around $20 per entree but it was delicious and well worth the price. Drinks were around $6 for a mixed drink. I think the beers were around $3 if I remember correctly. We picked up a few groceries while in town and that saved some on food.

We did the snorkel/sail tour to Buck Island with Capt. Heinz and had a good time.

The only two things that could have been better were that there were never any beach/pool towels available and the phone in our room didn't work. The hotel is a little out of the way from town.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

This was the most relaxing vacation in an ideal location. There was always something going on socially, but I could choose my activities. I went swimming and snokeling. There was a gorgious swimming pool and the ocean water off the beach a few steps from my cabin.
My cabin was eqipped with air conditioning and a kitchenette, bathroom and studio(sleeping, sitting , dining).
The restaurant was excellent. There was a casual atmosphere at the outdoor grill and bar. I met many interesting people. Wait staff and all employees were friendly. Management is professional and accommodating. I felt as part of a family at a home away from home. I will return to this wonderful spot.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
laporte
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

i loved it there.. i lived there for about four months.. we were going to live there for a year but hurricane ike hit our house. but i loved it there, the people there are so nice, i worked a cheney bay beach resort. i love the people everyone is so nice. they make you feel right at home. i love the bar tender "D" he is the greatest.. the views are great. i want to go back soon. but i want to finish school fort, then go when i am 18.. i love this place soo much. much love to the hotel.. everyone should go!!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

My 9th trip was just as spectacular as my 1st. I love Chenay Bay and everything about it. My cottage is just beautiful and the staff, well the staff is like family to me. I recommend this resort for the following reasons.
1. The resort is immaculate
2. The staff is proffesional and extremely helpful.
3. Then beach is absolutely stunning. (SEE STUNNING PHOTOS)
4. The view of the Renegade passing in front of Green Cay in route to B.I.
5. The sand on the beach is softer than silk.
6. I can build the biggest sand castles and no one EVER wrecks them. (I build them at least a half mile down too)
7. Milda.....Head of housekeeping...and she runs a tight ship!!! So sweet.
8. Sherman the receptionist. SO WONDERFUL!
9. The beautiful pool that has been renovated. SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!!!!!!
10. The bar and restraunt are wonderful. And if Scotty is still cooking your in for more of a treat!!!!
11. No mass crowds....in fact I usually see one if not zero people on this mile stretch of incredible beach. It feels like your very own!!!
12. All the cool folks I have met who are also there on vacation....everyone is just so happy!! Smiles!!!
13. The turtles that I watched hatch with my very eyes just 100 or so yrds from the beach chairs. That alone made me cry....just spectacular. Oh and it was just me there and no one around to yell out "OMG OMG you gotta see this!!!!! I have proof!!! Great pics..
14. I love the smell of the air at Chenay Bay.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bring smiles and lots of sunscreen. You will love Chenay Bay!!!!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Gorham, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

We had already planned our winter getaway for 2009, but one snowy day my husband and I were working from our home in Maine and checking out last minute possibilities on our timeshare’s (RCI) website. We stumbled onto an amazing deal for 7 nights at Chenay bay for at a 75% point reduction. We jumped on it, put the reservation on hold and found decent airfare out of Boston.

First, I don't understand why Chenay Bay is listed as a B & B here on TA, because that’s not accurate. This is a small resort, but definitely not a B&B. Anyway, we arrived at the resort on Saturday Jan 17th at 8:45pm. Even given the late hour check in was smooth and friendly. We were pretty hungry so we went to the onsite restaurant. They normally close at 9, but stayed open late for us which was very nice of them. I had a Caesar salad w/chicken and hubby had appetizer Mahi Mahi strips and crab cakes. We both ordered painkillers (tasty rum drinks – make sure you try one). The restaurant was a bit overpriced – as I recall our order ran around $65 plus a decent tip. The food was good (not great), but the service was excellent. After dinner we checked out our unit. #47 is an ocean front unit (it was dark so we couldn’t see the view yet). The one large room was equipped with a queen bed and sleeper sofa, small table with 2 chairs, decent sized TV, 2-burner stovetop, half-size refrigerator with freezer shelf, microwave, sink, coffee pot, dishes, etc. There was also a nice sound system with speakers built into the walls in the main room and the bathroom. The air conditioner worked well, and ceiling fan helped keep the room cool. The only complaint we had about the room was the bed which was extremely hard. The pillows were old/stained, but we doubled up the pillowcases and that made us feel a bit better. After 2 mornings of waking up tired and with back aches we got a bright idea to take the “mattress” off the sofa bed and place it on top of the bed. This helped tremendously and made sleep a bit more possible for us. We were told by Burke, who runs most things at the resort, that all of the units are in the process of being upgraded with pillow-top beds (so keep this in mind when making a reservation). We understand that new owners bought this resort just 2 years ago and many improvements are in the works.

When we woke up Sunday morning, and stepped out onto our porch (equipped with 2 rocking chairs) we saw the view and were awestruck. The waves were gently lapping the sandy beach and we were looking out over the bay towards Green Cay. The sun was shining and the 15 below temps home in Maine were a distant memory thousands of miles away.
All in all we enjoyed our stay at Chenay Bay (except for the bed). The new infinity pool was lovely. The hot-tub was only okay as the water got a bit sketchy by the end of the week, but that wasn’t a necessity for us. Burke also told us that renovations are planned for the pool area which will include a new hot tub on the pool deck and new outside shower was being constructed during our stay. The beach was overall soft sand, but had areas of small rocks. The swimming was very nice. Complimentary kayaks and sailboats are available.

Monday night was a welcome reception and we were given complimentary Cruzan Confusions (tasty Rum Punch) along with chips, veggies and onion rings. We were invited to a complimentary breakfast on Tuesday with Burke in order to participate in a “guest survey” - a few survey questions were asked but the primary purpose of the breakfast was to present us with the timeshare sales pitch which is pretty much what we figured. Since we wouldn’t be checking out until Saturday a true guest survey would have been better scheduled for later in the week. Anyway the breakfast was yummy (although service was slow that morning) and Burke was a very nice man with lots of information to share. We were not tempted by the timeshare sales attempt; we thought it was overpriced and the trading options were extremely limited.

The restaurant had a number of specials. Wednesday night was $5 burger night (8 oz burger w/ fries – a very good deal), Thursday night was 50-cent wing night (the Caribbean ones were pretty good), and Friday night was $15 all you can eat fish fry night. However, once we found out the fish was Cod (readily available here in New England) we decided to skip that. A couple of nights we just ate something small in our room to save $. We also thought the drinks at the on-site restaurant were very pricey. Drinks seemed to average $1-$2 more than elsewhere on the island. We bought some rum at the store and make our own drinks in the room!

Every day we packed a lunch and drinks (take lots of water on your excursions) in a soft-sided cooler that we picked up a few years ago at LL Bean. The bar tender at Chenay happily filled us up with ice each day. Tip: seek out Lori’s deli on the east end and get some of her tasty egg salad, makes a great sandwich!
Most days we were off on fantastic adventures around the island, Sandy Point, Jack & Isaac Bays, Buck Island, Cruzan Rum Tour, the rain forest, etc. Read my husband’s trip report in TripAdvisor’s forum section for more about all of that. We decided that one day we should hang about at Chenay Bay. We took a kayak (provided free by the resort) out to Green Cay across the bay from the resort. That was a fun time, very calm and peaceful. We enjoyed the pool and the napped on those wonderful beach beds (more comfortable than the real beds! :-) ).
All in all we thought Chenay Bay was a lovely resort and will continue to improve as the renovations are completed. We would definitely consider a return trip. Very important - don’t forget to bring bug spray AND use it! We brought it, but I was negligent and forgot to spray myself the 1st couple of nights and I am still itchy. Bring some Benadryl or Calamine lotion too, because you will surely get some bites from those nasty no-seeums. But it’s the tropics and there is much vegetation around which the little buggers seems to thrive in. A small price to pay for staying in paradise.

When you book, be sure to ask for a renovated unit and ask when it was renovated. Ours was considered renovated because it was renovated 2-3 years ago, but it not the new-new renovation that is going on now. The garden view units are fine – the grounds are beautifully landscaped (and more is ongoing). However, if you can get an oceanview/oceanfront unit definitely do so.

• Liked — Condo style unit with fridge, stove, microwave so that we could prepare meals and the fact it was on St Croix, which enabled us to see so many beautiful beaches and special places, ie Issac Bay, Buck Island!
  • Disliked — That hard bed - people need a restful nights sleep that's critical in any accomadation.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2009

We loved staying at Cheney Bay so much that we are planning on going back. Food was excellent, staff friendly and bungalows were lovely. A guy named Burke seems to run the place and boy what an asset he is to this resort. Friendly guy who goes out of his way to make sure everything is as you wish. Fantastic!

Stayed January 2009

Been to Chenay Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!