“Miserable” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 16 hotels in Christiansted
Spring Hill, Tennessee
“Miserable”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

First the bed was the absolutely worst bed I have ever, and I mean ever encountered in any of my travels.
The first night they had issues with the cisterns so we had no water for bathing,
Move the next day to another unit. Which was a good thing because overnight, the room was invaded by these little centipede looking critters.
Maid told me that they were only an issue in the "Uphill" rooms, and since we were moving, they should not be an issue. and they weren't, unless you were in one of the "uphill rooms" and the other rooms were full.
From the first day, internet was iffy at the first room, all they have is wireless, and some rooms have coverage and some do not.
On the 2nd day, lost all internet, this was a WORKING trip for me so not having internet, when it was part of the package I agreed to made my life much harder.
When talking to the desk, they said the only guy who could fix it was "Up North" ( The U.S.) and would not be back for another week... That's B.S.
Fix it!
Will not be staying here again, and would recommend that you not do so either.
I will say that the staff was very friendly, even if they could not fix any of the issues I had.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel, but if you must stay, one downhill, closer to the pool is best
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

306 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

I stayed at the Chenay Bay beach resort for 6 days in May 2014. I had did my research an was hoping it wasnt as bad as described. I stayed in a bungalow number 9, it was mildly renovated but the king bed was horrible. We were basically sleeping on coils. the resort itself is pretty much dead which is why I stayed there needed some peace and quiet, so rent a car. The resort also has renters living there. As for the island itself there is not much to do but plenty of bars. Driving around was a little depressing and groceries were very expensive but alcohol and cigarettes are cheap.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Something has definitely changed here at this perfectly located resort and not for the better! Such high potential seems to be going down the tubes. The staff are friendly and helpful but advertised services are lacking. The pool was dirty everyday I was there, feral cats who are starving will pester you incessantly, beach was below average with the loungers filthy and broken, some cottages appear to be rented out to groups well over limit, questionable ladies walking around dressed inappropriately and even the time share owners I spoke with are very frustrated with the direction this place is headed. I remember nice family oriented gatherings on Friday / Saturday nights with live music and cordial atmosphere with high quality food- no more... This place appears to be abandoned and under disrepair. I was thinking about buying a week here before my trip but would not waste my money.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
New York area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Stayed here for a week with my friend May 3 thru May 10th. We had a great, newly done bungalow with a kitchen, iron board, etc. The room was very clean and had a queen and king bed, so with one bed, i can imagine it would appear to have more room. it was just what we were looking for. someplace quiet, peaceful, without the usual trappings of a large hotel, like expensive drinks, outrageous prices and crowded beaches. one day the manager brought us a fresh mango and few minutes later a worker brought us a freshly opened coconut. that would never happen at a big resort. we enjoyed sitting by the ocean, on one of the lounges provided. there was never more than 10 people sitting at the beach so it was quiet, and nice and great to read at. they also have a pool that had some leaves in it (so not a big deal people) but was a little too warm to be as refreshing as going in the ocean. but the surrounding area was clean and nice. please understand that the place is not fancy and it does show its wear and tear, but the manager is doing her best to maintain it. her employees have worked for her on an average of 10 years each and enjoy working there and is reflected in their attitude which is friendly and helpful and kind. the restaurant had some simple things, that were very good, and the beer and wine or whatever you wanted was ice cold. we enjoyed meeting a local electrician that answered all of our questions about the people and customs of st. croix, without hesitation. we also enjoyed swimming with three little local kids, and meeting their mother. they were polite and fun and truly enjoyed the sea. at 5:30 pm the turtles pop their heads up while feeding and i can imagine that with a free snorkel, which the hotel provides, you could see them easily, as they are only 15 feet off shore. their is a beach and a place to go for a walk on the beach, and both were clean. i found no problems with this place at all. not only did i not find any problems, but am most likely going to go back at another time with my husband. there are many things to do on the island, and we paddle boarded and took a snorkeling trip, all reasonably priced. we also rented a jeep and we would seriously, if you are the type of person that needs to be sure where they are driving (we were not, and enjoyed the adventure of trying to find places) to get either a GPS or a map that is NOT from the rental car agency and it is vague and small and half of the roads are not on it.
i highly recommend chenay bay and would return. its location is great, not too close to town, not too far, with dining choices abounding. i loved this place, and i have been to many beach resorts, but i enjoyed the individual attention, getting to know the locals, and the fun of setting off on an adventure without any idea where we would end up. also, the air conditioning in the rooms are fantastic, and cool off the room immediately.

Room Tip: there are some that have ocean views. our room was near the lobby so we were able to get a strong wi...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Venice, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Though the cottages are small, they are very comfortable. It is so peaceful! Unfortunately when we were there the restaurant was closed, but we went in October when it was out of season. This was definitely the time to go, though, because it wasn't crowded. The pool was quite dirty with debris, but again, it wasn't in season and I actually preferred to go when others weren't vacationing. Our AC unit wasn't working when we arrived but someone came to fix it within 10 minutes. I would definitely stay at this resort again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bronx, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Chenay Bay Beach Resort was a pleasure. The staff was very polite and helpful and coming from a big city My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed how relaxing and private the resort was. Some of the reviews on here are harsh, the grounds were cared for and as with most resorts on the water it was a bit weathered but it had a certain charm. The rooms were clean and comfortable and new towels were given each day. I would certainly suggest getting a car when visiting St.Croix there is so much to do on the island and not much is close to Chenay Bay Beach Resort. The beach was very calm and clean, There is sea grass and a bit of snorkeling. The bar was welcoming with very friendly bartenders ( Admira-- was very nice! and Allen another employee was very sweet and helpful). There is a very nice pool that is lit up at night and the water was just the perfect temperature. There is not much night life but as I said I was looking to relax so this did not bother me, the restaurant served bar food, though they are not open very late in the day so we ate in many different places around the island.

*** bring bug spray *** there are "no-see-ems" and they are itchy bites, we did not get any from our room we believe it was mostly at night and on the beach during sunset! worse than mosquito bites and this is around the island not just Chenay Bay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

I stayed in this hotel with my daughter for 4 nights during the month of Feb 2014. The location is in a beautiful site, right by the beach. Front desk service was very helpful. 2 things though: 1- the restaurant was not offering full service. Employee told me that a new owner acquired it just recently and was still work in process. 2-The rooms need a little of upgrading. But they are clean and comfortable. Not a 5 star place, but definitely a great place to stay. We will be going back in July/Aug and most likely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Been to Chenay Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!