“Peaceful place!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Bronx, New York
“Peaceful place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Chenay Bay Beach Resort was a pleasure. The staff was very polite and helpful and coming from a big city My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed how relaxing and private the resort was. Some of the reviews on here are harsh, the grounds were cared for and as with most resorts on the water it was a bit weathered but it had a certain charm. The rooms were clean and comfortable and new towels were given each day. I would certainly suggest getting a car when visiting St.Croix there is so much to do on the island and not much is close to Chenay Bay Beach Resort. The beach was very calm and clean, There is sea grass and a bit of snorkeling. The bar was welcoming with very friendly bartenders ( Admira-- was very nice! and Allen another employee was very sweet and helpful). There is a very nice pool that is lit up at night and the water was just the perfect temperature. There is not much night life but as I said I was looking to relax so this did not bother me, the restaurant served bar food, though they are not open very late in the day so we ate in many different places around the island.

*** bring bug spray *** there are "no-see-ems" and they are itchy bites, we did not get any from our room we believe it was mostly at night and on the beach during sunset! worse than mosquito bites and this is around the island not just Chenay Bay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

I stayed in this hotel with my daughter for 4 nights during the month of Feb 2014. The location is in a beautiful site, right by the beach. Front desk service was very helpful. 2 things though: 1- the restaurant was not offering full service. Employee told me that a new owner acquired it just recently and was still work in process. 2-The rooms need a little of upgrading. But they are clean and comfortable. Not a 5 star place, but definitely a great place to stay. We will be going back in July/Aug and most likely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

We didn't stay at this resort but stopped by to see the property that my brother-in-law and his family frequented. We loved the feel of the resort as soon as we arrived. The villas are well placed, the beach beautiful, and the pool clean and inviting. From first glance we would definitely stay here during our next trip.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Huntsville, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

I already posted, but mistakenly I posted under Chenay Beach, not the resort. We are currently staying at Chenay Bay. If you are looking for a clean, quiet, no frills.place to stay while you are in St Croix, this is the place for you. If you are looking for 5 star, this is not the place for you. CHENAY BAY RESORT is a good value for what you are paying and for my money, it is a great value!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

We were there for 6 days 5 nights- great deal from Groupon, it is comfortable.JetBlue & Seaborne Airlines nice and friendly - so was Cape Air upon our return home. Taxi for 2 $28 from airport about 35min or so. Keep on mind not full service resort at all. Front desk hours 8am -8 pm. Sometimes phone will ring awhile if no one is at desk. Had a cottage unit with a furnished kitchenette comes in handy seriously. No hard line phone in cottage, WFI handy works best by front desk area and Mahis Seafood. Flat screen tv with cable. My cell phone service T-Mobile didn't work well on island so depended on WIFI. The pool wasnt cleaned daily which needed to be from leaves and stuff do didnt get in at all, the grounds were so so looks like some remodeling, lots of small lizards moving around -make sure to get bugs spray. Mahis Seafood is depending on day/time if lucky will have a cook, no veggie burgers at all my whole stay that sucked but Nina the bartender makes "EXCELLENT" Cruzan Confussions. Loved the 1 mile ocean front take that walk worth it with the tent campsites.Snorkeling was fine, Water felt good hang out by beach.
Food options- no fast good deliveries places, best to rent car - if able to stay on left side of road- but if needed take taxi to local restaurants. Duggans Reef, Cheeseburger Paradise (which is great ) you can also walk to we did less than 15 mins, Cantinas. Best to go to market and buy your own food. Seen a few people bring in own mini grills as well. There is a laundry room $2 to wash & $2 to dry. 1 dryer 1 washer bring own laundry supplies, the front has stuff for a fee. Christenstad was ok but not much opened shops/restaurants closed early as well, use caution late night, not much of nightlife happening. Take Captian Morgan and Cruzan Rum tours. We also feed the pigs O'Douls in rainforest. We went to Udull Point and Isaacs Bay that was great prepare for short hike though worth it. If you get a chance take a drive of island beautiful.

• Stayed April 2014
Greenville, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

I was meeting another family member on the island of St. Croix. I flew in 7 hours past their arrival. Once I arrived at Chenay, I was shocked at what I saw. It was poorly lit in the dark. It was unkempt, the grounds were littered with dead foliage and debris. The cottage was not what we had reserved. We reserved one with 2 beds. Not 1 bed and a pull out couch. After calling 3 separate times and verifying that we would get the cottage we were paying for in the reservation, and arriving to find this was not so. The overwhelming smell of cleaning chemicals just about knocked me over after opening the door. We immediately turned around and drove up the street to the Buccaneer! We had to "eat" the cost of the cottage at Chenay Bay, however.....it was worth it to experience what we did at the Buccaneer Resort. If you don't mind ghetto like conditions, and being surrounded by seedy looking characters, maybe you will find this to be the place for you. It just was not for us.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

This was exactly what my friends and I were looking for: A cheap, clean place to stay close to Christiansted with a beach and pool. I don't know what all the other people expected from the reviews on here for the price. If available, I suggest getting the groupon! I paid $85 for four people! Now I'm going to get into the good and bad about the resort.

The great stuff?
The front desk worker couldn't be nicer and the landscape was beautiful. Our bungalow had a kitchenette, king bed, full bed, and a beautiful view of the pool and beach. I looked at places double the price of Chenay Bay and they didn't even have a kitchenette! The beds were very comfy and it was definitely enough space for four if us.

The bad?
Parts of everything seems run down. Let me give you an example. They pool is beautiful from afar. Up close, some of the beautiful lights had no bulbs and it looked like it had waterfalls at some point that were no longer there. There was a beautiful stone platform with pedestals that looked like it may have been a shower at some point for people at the beach, but now it had no showers. Only the platform and blank pedistals remained. The bar and restaurant looked promising, but neither seemed open. As my group was leaving, we saw a few people sitting around the picturesque bar, so it must have limited hours. Our bungalow had random bits and pieces broken, but nothing easily overlooked. Looking around the resort, I could see into a couple other bungalows and some seem to have huge livingrooms as well, which looked newly renovated.

All in all, it seems like the resort was pristine in the past, fell into disrepair over the last five years, and is now on the upswing. If you stay here for the nightlife, you'll be sorely disappointed. If you go here looking for a spacious, beautiful, clean, cost effective place to stay when exploring Christiansted and the rest of St Croix, you'll be pleasantly happy!

• Stayed March 2014

Been to Chenay Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!