“We didn't think it was a Roach Motel...” 2 of 5 stars

Chenay Bay Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   East End Rd, Route 82, Christiansted 00824, St. Croix   |
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Northbrook, Illinois, United States
“We didn't think it was a Roach Motel...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed there for 7 days. I would have given this resort 4 out of 5 however I cannot in good faith do so after our experience.

First the positives: The desk staff was very friendly and the security staff at night also interacted with us in a friendly manner as well. The landscaping was very tropical and, with the exception of traveling during a time when it appeared they were doing some improvements, was gorgeous. The view from our cottage over the water was breathtaking. The (stray) cats were friendly, but expected beggars. The bar/restaurant area is open and was maintained decently on the surface. The beach is seconds to get to and picturesque. Lots of nearby places to go from the resort. Easy daily drive to Christiansted.

The negatives: The pool could have been maintained better. The area around it is fine, but the bottom of the pool looks like it could have used a few laps of a pool vac. The exterior of our fridge in our villa showed signs of rust, but nothing that anyone could hurt themselves over.

The service to our rooms for towels and turn-down was inconsistent - some days we'd come back to fresh towels and a made bed, some days they clearly didn't bother to stop by. One morning they knocked on the door when we were still there. We asked if they could come back in an hour and she replied that they cannot stop back and that it was our only chance or else they leave for the day (we conceded to leave the room unserviced that day).

Finally, the experience would have been fine had we not come across some critters. Our 3rd night there we saw about 4-5 roaches running around in the kitchen area. We notified the staff immediately and they said they would send maintenance to have it sprayed immediately. By the evening before our departure we saw another 2-3 scurrying around again. I captured one to show management that this is an issue. We never kept food out (everything we bought required refrigeration). I'm not sure if it was just the villa we stayed in (#19), but I"m sure many of you would agree the sight of these bugs can totally destroy you sense of cleanliness and comfort of where you are staying.

Don't get me wrong, this is a beautiful place even if it's just for a visit and I would recommend coming for the sunset in a second. And as mentioned before, I would've given this place a 4 out of 5, but as you can see from our pictures our experience fell short on some sensitive areas.

Room Tip: We stayed in villa #19, you might want to avoid that one.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

This place is really wonderful, based on my definition of wonderful. Quiet, cute, fantastic staff (the manager of the resort especially) and a million dollar view. Look at the photos and judge for yourself.

My wife and I came for a few days and stayed over a week. We loved the cottage feel and the staff that made us feel at home. The beach isn’t a mob scene, the pool we often had to ourselves, and the front porch of our cottage was a great place to watch the sunset.

On the other hand, if you want a rocking bar, blaring music and crowds, this is not the place for you.

The long and short:
*Some cottages have been renovated, some are very nice but older.
*The restaurant is always slow, and we didn’t try it. So the jury is out there.
*Unlike the big resorts, they don’t spray the beach daily with chemicals. During the day we had no issues at all with no-see-ums. At dusk they were an annoyance. My wife loves that the beach is comparatively chemical free, I don’t mind good-helpful-chems. So it’s a split camp.

Stay here and you won’t be sorry.

Words of advice:
*You’ll need a car on this island. Period.
*Eat at Ziggy’s for lunch, or Eat @ Cane Bay. Both are amazing.
*Swim at Cane Bay before or after lunch. Great beach right across the street from the restaurant.
*Hike Point Udall, it is stunningly beautiful. If you go all the way to Isaac Bay you will have a world class beach all to yourself. It’s a breathtaking 20-30 minute hike. Park at the lot 200 feet or so from the point. You can’t miss it. You’ll notice glass in little piles. The locals occasionally drive out there to plunder parked cars. Leave your windows and doors open, with nothing in the car. Counter-intuitive, I know. But it works.

Have fun.

Room Tip: I like the cottages with a view of the water, but the garden cottages are very nice too.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Palm Coast, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

We recently returned from St. Croix and would like to thank the staff at Cheney Bay for coming to our aid and saving our vacation. We were staying at another resort (The Hibiscus) and the conditions were deplorable. The gracious staff at Cheney Bay provided us with a gorgeous cottage poolside and made our remaining 6 days on St. Croix glorious. Words cannot express our gratitude and appreciation for their amazing customer service and the beautiful accommodations to total strangers. We highly recommend Cheney Bay and we will stay here once again on a return trip to St. Croix. Once again, thank you for your outstanding hospitality and your amazing staff!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We loved this hotel. After reading some reviews about it being dated, we were a little concerned but it really didnt matter because the positives out weighed that. The rooms were clean. The staff pleasant and friendly. The restaurant wasn't open but that didnt matter to us because we wanted to explore the other restaurants on the island anyway. It was great being so close to the beach. The snorkeling was great. We loved having a mini kitchen and the fact that we had a seperate little cabin. We felt like it was very private because of how the little porches are set up.
We were all over the island and saw the outside of the other hotels. They really didn't seem that much better, especially considering those hotels were a significant amount more money.
The pool needs some work, but why swim in a pool when you can swim in the Caribbean sea! I would recommend renting a vehicle so you can easily get to everything the island has to offer. I would recommend this no matter where you stay. Everything is far apart.
We wish there were kayaks available at the hotel because we would have loved to kayak in chenay bay.
I loved the plants, flowers, and scenery at the hotel. We brought our tablet and had access to internet the entire time we were there from our room...not that you want to be on the internet all the time when you are on vacation!
This was a very relaxing environment. We felt safe and at home. The location was perfect. When we go back to st croix we will stay here again.

Room Tip: I prefer close to the pool but if restaurant is open may want further away from that
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Needless to say I was quite disappointed when I arrived here after having read reviews and photos of this hotel. I was just there last week for 4 days. The restaurant is closed for 2 months, which is a bit of an issue since it is pretty far out. The 'FREE WIFI' they advertise is only in their check-in area. The pool, I didn't even dare to venture into. It is quite a different site when you look into the actual pool. Most of the common use areas are falling apart. The only positive thing I found about this place was it's quick walk to the beach. Although when I was there I saw almost no one. Definitely would pay more $$ to stay at another hotel next time. Also when I checked in they gave me the key to a room that someone was already in.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed for a week and had a wonderful time. The cabin that we had was wonderful. The service at the resort was slow, but that is the Virgin Islands life style. Maui Mike's had wonderful food and drinks. Loved Fish Taco night and Trivia night. The beach was nice and quiet, the pool was nice. You must rent a car to do the entire island. Got to see many things. The cats at the restaurant were our welcoming committiee each time we ate there. We can't wait to go back - four more weeks and we will be there again.

Room Tip: Try and get a room higher on the hill for the view, but you will have a tough climb.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Oshawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Visited Chenay Bay for 3 nights and had a marvelous time. The view of the Caribbean sea and hillsides with million dollar homes will take your breath away. The island is lush green and very pretty.
The resort itself needs a face lift but the suite I stayed in was very well furnished and the air conditioning worked superb. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed the AC. The beach is nice with slight pink sand but the water is calm and just fit for a king...a warm 85 plus degrees. You feel like you never want to leave. Every time I stepped out of it I jumped right back in.

The bartender Angie and the chef are outstanding and made my stay memorable. Although the resort is lacking in many ways it is not short of fun. I met many folks who are repeat clients and will not go anywhere else as they are in love with this place and I have hard time understanding why they love this place so much.

This resort can do much better for its guests as they are very loyal and just a little TLC can move this place up the ladder. All in all I had a great time and will have no hesitation of staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Chenay Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!