“The best place we've stayed on Saint Croix” 5 of 5 stars

Chenay Bay Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   East End Rd, Route 82, Christiansted 00824, St. Croix   |
Ranked #9 of 16 hotels in Christiansted
usa
“The best place we've stayed on Saint Croix”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

This place is really wonderful, based on my definition of wonderful. Quiet, cute, fantastic staff (the manager of the resort especially) and a million dollar view. Look at the photos and judge for yourself.

My wife and I came for a few days and stayed over a week. We loved the cottage feel and the staff that made us feel at home. The beach isn’t a mob scene, the pool we often had to ourselves, and the front porch of our cottage was a great place to watch the sunset.

On the other hand, if you want a rocking bar, blaring music and crowds, this is not the place for you.

The long and short:
*Some cottages have been renovated, some are very nice but older.
*The restaurant is always slow, and we didn’t try it. So the jury is out there.
*Unlike the big resorts, they don’t spray the beach daily with chemicals. During the day we had no issues at all with no-see-ums. At dusk they were an annoyance. My wife loves that the beach is comparatively chemical free, I don’t mind good-helpful-chems. So it’s a split camp.

Stay here and you won’t be sorry.

Words of advice:
*You’ll need a car on this island. Period.
*Eat at Ziggy’s for lunch, or Eat @ Cane Bay. Both are amazing.
*Swim at Cane Bay before or after lunch. Great beach right across the street from the restaurant.
*Hike Point Udall, it is stunningly beautiful. If you go all the way to Isaac Bay you will have a world class beach all to yourself. It’s a breathtaking 20-30 minute hike. Park at the lot 200 feet or so from the point. You can’t miss it. You’ll notice glass in little piles. The locals occasionally drive out there to plunder parked cars. Leave your windows and doors open, with nothing in the car. Counter-intuitive, I know. But it works.

Have fun.

Room Tip: I like the cottages with a view of the water, but the garden cottages are very nice too.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

298 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Palm Coast, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

We recently returned from St. Croix and would like to thank the staff at Cheney Bay for coming to our aid and saving our vacation. We were staying at another resort (The Hibiscus) and the conditions were deplorable. The gracious staff at Cheney Bay provided us with a gorgeous cottage poolside and made our remaining 6 days on St. Croix glorious. Words cannot express our gratitude and appreciation for their amazing customer service and the beautiful accommodations to total strangers. We highly recommend Cheney Bay and we will stay here once again on a return trip to St. Croix. Once again, thank you for your outstanding hospitality and your amazing staff!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We loved this hotel. After reading some reviews about it being dated, we were a little concerned but it really didnt matter because the positives out weighed that. The rooms were clean. The staff pleasant and friendly. The restaurant wasn't open but that didnt matter to us because we wanted to explore the other restaurants on the island anyway. It was great being so close to the beach. The snorkeling was great. We loved having a mini kitchen and the fact that we had a seperate little cabin. We felt like it was very private because of how the little porches are set up.
We were all over the island and saw the outside of the other hotels. They really didn't seem that much better, especially considering those hotels were a significant amount more money.
The pool needs some work, but why swim in a pool when you can swim in the Caribbean sea! I would recommend renting a vehicle so you can easily get to everything the island has to offer. I would recommend this no matter where you stay. Everything is far apart.
We wish there were kayaks available at the hotel because we would have loved to kayak in chenay bay.
I loved the plants, flowers, and scenery at the hotel. We brought our tablet and had access to internet the entire time we were there from our room...not that you want to be on the internet all the time when you are on vacation!
This was a very relaxing environment. We felt safe and at home. The location was perfect. When we go back to st croix we will stay here again.

Room Tip: I prefer close to the pool but if restaurant is open may want further away from that
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Needless to say I was quite disappointed when I arrived here after having read reviews and photos of this hotel. I was just there last week for 4 days. The restaurant is closed for 2 months, which is a bit of an issue since it is pretty far out. The 'FREE WIFI' they advertise is only in their check-in area. The pool, I didn't even dare to venture into. It is quite a different site when you look into the actual pool. Most of the common use areas are falling apart. The only positive thing I found about this place was it's quick walk to the beach. Although when I was there I saw almost no one. Definitely would pay more $$ to stay at another hotel next time. Also when I checked in they gave me the key to a room that someone was already in.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed for a week and had a wonderful time. The cabin that we had was wonderful. The service at the resort was slow, but that is the Virgin Islands life style. Maui Mike's had wonderful food and drinks. Loved Fish Taco night and Trivia night. The beach was nice and quiet, the pool was nice. You must rent a car to do the entire island. Got to see many things. The cats at the restaurant were our welcoming committiee each time we ate there. We can't wait to go back - four more weeks and we will be there again.

Room Tip: Try and get a room higher on the hill for the view, but you will have a tough climb.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Oshawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Visited Chenay Bay for 3 nights and had a marvelous time. The view of the Caribbean sea and hillsides with million dollar homes will take your breath away. The island is lush green and very pretty.
The resort itself needs a face lift but the suite I stayed in was very well furnished and the air conditioning worked superb. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed the AC. The beach is nice with slight pink sand but the water is calm and just fit for a king...a warm 85 plus degrees. You feel like you never want to leave. Every time I stepped out of it I jumped right back in.

The bartender Angie and the chef are outstanding and made my stay memorable. Although the resort is lacking in many ways it is not short of fun. I met many folks who are repeat clients and will not go anywhere else as they are in love with this place and I have hard time understanding why they love this place so much.

This resort can do much better for its guests as they are very loyal and just a little TLC can move this place up the ladder. All in all I had a great time and will have no hesitation of staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Lovely small - low key resort. Units are supplied with kitchenette which makes it very convenient. I suggest a rent car so you can grocery shop, explore the island. Dated bedding and furnishings. A/C worked and no complaints on being too hot. Restaurant does not open for breakfast which was a disappointment...only lunch and dinner. Pool is okay with great view of the bay. Lot's of NO NO NO signs for the beach...they do not let you take your own coolers, food, drinks to the beach of your own, however - less than a 1/8 mile away is a road to take you to the same beach that is a bit better and you can take what ever you wish. Restaurant quality was just okay...they should advertise it differently to get more of a crowd. Towels and linens need to be updated - very thin and non-absorbent and very small to our standards in the US. If you want a good quality place to stay - I would suggest the Chenay Bay, we enjoyed it very much. If you are looking for a more 4+ resort full service resort - look at the Renaissance Cambolia. Explore the island - it was a blast! Staff was great at Chenay - everyone friendly and happy all the time.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the pool view rooms or rooms on the front row. You can not park your car by your uni...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Chenay Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!