“Secluded beachfront value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 16 hotels in Christiansted
Dublin, Georgia
“Secluded beachfront value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Nice, laid back setup. Friendly staff. Quiet location on the beach. The restaurant is good and the bar can be busy ! Although any place on the islands can be unsafe, Chenay does a good job of keeping an eye on cabins, vehicles, and guests. Additional quality restaurants are nearby. Rates are within seasonal swings. Plenty of parking at the property entrance. Large onsite laundry room. I am renting 3 cottages now and am very pleased, as is my crew.

Room Tip: Most cottages are located with a great view and easy access.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

309 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I spent a week in July with my two grand daughters (3 and 7) at Chenay Bay and had a great time. The individual cabins are great for children- there is a working kitchen and refrigerator. The property is set right on the beach which has calm water for little swimmers. It was the off season, so the restaurant wasn't extremely busy, but we were able to get what we needed. The pool is on a hill overlooking the bay and is very well kept up. The employees were very helpful and gracious. Thanks for spoiling my girls, Angelique! The reviews I read before going shared concerns about a few things- the towels are not the newest and the beds are a bit hard, but these things were not a problem for us at all, because of all the positive aspects. The rooms and bathrooms are a bit small, but we spent very little time there, so that wasn't a problem either. It is about 3 miles outside of town, so a rental car is necessary to get around the island. The only annoyance was that the tv got only one channel. i asked them to fix that, they said they did, but it never changed. We spent our time exploring, instead of tv watching, which is just fine with me.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

my sister and i stayed here on a RCI timeshare exchange in june 2013. i was a little wary after reading reviews, but honestly, i can't see what all the fuss was about! i am a disabled traveler, so my planning can be very intense. i knew this was NOT an accessible place, and was prepared to adapt as i needed to. turns out, i needed to do very little! they upgraded us upon arrival from a studio to a one bedroom, thinking this would accomodate me better. ( it did) we were near the pool, had a view of the ocean, and a lovely room with an outside shower as well as a regular inside the bathroom shower. since there were stairs, i could not take my mobility scooter into the room as is my usual, to recharge at night. they graciously made arrangements for my sister to leave it each night under the shelter of the restaurant in case of rain, and plugged in. as the week wore on, and taking it in and out of the car in order to re-charge it got old ( it weighs 170 pounds), they not only allowed us dispensation to park next to our room ( you must park in a central lot and walk to your cottage), they supplied a 25 ft outdoor extension cord so we could park it next to us and run the cord into the car to shelter and recharge at night! thank you so much!!!! debbie, the manager did all she could to accomodate my needs. shermine at the desk upgraded us. the view was amazing, the snorkeling good, the beach beautiful. the room was great, no complaints. each time we had any small issue, they responded immediately, instead of "island time". angelique the bartender was great! food at the cafe was good, altho the mosquitos and noseeums definitely won!!! but they handed out cans of " OFF" as requested. maybe some citronella candles might help? the staff was all great and very helpful. it's only about a 10 minute drive to christiansted ( as long as you don't miss the first right!!) as an added unexpected bonus, on sunday night, our 2nd night, a very good blues/jazz ( my fave music) band played live in the restaurant. hope they come back!! didn't even have to leave the property for my favorite music. it was excellent! would recommend this place, and go back! everyone on staff ( sorry if i can't remember your names!) was very helpful and addressed whatever help i needed. try a "cruzan confusion" at the bar. go angelique!! and the bed was the most comfortable of a 3 1/2 week vacation!

Room Tip: we were in cottage 8. nice location, view, air conditioning in the bedroom worked intermittenty, b...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Chenay bay for 5 days and we wish we could have stay longer.
The place is quiet, simple and beautiful
Staff is very helpful but of course they get things done in Island Time.
If you are looking for a quiet, private, and Caribean like vacation, this is the place to be
You will get breathtaking views without leaving your cottage balconi.
The bar is great and they make the best pain killer in the Island. You can get your drink and have it by the beach or pool.
The cottages are well maintained with beautiful furniture.
We loved our trip and will be back next year

• Stayed May 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Check in is at 4PM and check out is at 11AM. Don't know why it takes 5 hours to prep rooms. There aren't that many at this property and other places clearly does it in 3 hours. We were not allowed to check in until around 4PM, even though we observed there were tons of rooms unoccupied during our stay. The cottages were ordinary...nothing special. Walking into the room, it felt like a 2** motel. Some of the items and equipment in the room weren't working such as the phone. The shower had no pressure and the fixtures were rusted which is kind of understandable because of the cottages proximity to the ocean. There was only 1 outlet to use in the bed area. Good thing I had a travel 3-to-1 splitter to add some much needed outlets to charge our phones. We've visited this property a couple years ago and the place has run down a lot since then. The beds were so hard that my wife and I woke everyday with major back pain. I also saw pieces of paper stuck in cracks throughout the room. The purpose seemed to be to keep the bugs out. I would have thought some silicon or caulk would have been more appropriate and not so tacky.

The rooms weren't really cleaned while we stayed. Trash was taken out and the bed was remade but there was a dead bug on the floor when we arrived and it was still there 4 days later when we departed. There was also a razor head behind the toilet when we got there and again, it was still there after leaving. There was a bunch of hair on the blow dryer from the previous guest (or guests). This proved to me that the level of cleaning wasn't where it should be. Orbitz had the property listed as a 4**** hotel. At Expedia it is listed as a 3***, this is really a 2**, maybe a 2**-1/2*.

The beach at Chenay; however, is one of the best on St. Croix. Our room had a partial ocean view which was nice. The place is also really quiet and secluded for those that like to get away. Our cellphones; however, still worked. We stayed last year at a property on the North side of the island and had no cell service anytime we were at the property. Chenay's location is also great for water activities and things to do in St. Croix east end. The restaurant on property is also really good and the food is affordable. Overall, I don't think we will be returning to Chenay. The price was average but we are at the point in our lives where we prefer to stay in hotels that are truly 4**** (or even 3-1/2***) and above. If you aren't looking for anything special though, this is a good choice. Cheers!

Room Tip: Someone told me there are renovated rooms closer to the front. You may want to ask for one of those...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Largo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here 28 years ago and as a surprise I'm treating him by taking him back for our 30th wedding anniversary. I've been reading the reviews and am disappointed in those who did not appreciate what the resort really has to offer. Go beyond the 5+ star ratings. The resort has always boasted about it's privacy and seclusion. Very laid back. Yes it has it's share of issues but what resort doesn't? If you dont have that kind of mentality, go elsewhere. This place is the best if you want to be able to put on your flip flops and feel at home. I remember that the kitchen was small and not updated but who cares? The no-see-ems and the mosquitos are horrible but you bring bug spray. So the towels are thin. Ask for more. Stop thinking foofoo and start thinking fun. Relax , unwind and leave the cell phone packed and your computer at home. This is the kind of place that's a vacation for us. Hands down.

• Stayed February 2013
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just came back from a vacation at the Chenay Bay resort, here is the objective review:
At night the place is riddle with mosquitos and things that bite you, the buildings are old, the bathroom doesnt have AC so if you leave the window open it turns into a very humid area, in which you can see condensation forming on the wall adjacent to your room which is eventually going to turn into mold. The grounds are kept clean, the gardens look taken care off, the restaurant has daily specials and prices that resemble those around the rest of the island, the place is about 15 mins drive from Christiansted, an hour away from Frederiksted the second town in the island all the way on the west end of the island, 10 mins from the east end of the island.

Now here is the subjective review:
What makes this resort worth the while are the people, on the first day we arrived the check in lady was very pleasant, her and the security guard where honest when answering our questions. The guy at the bar didnt hesitate to give us a bucket of ice when asked and even refilled our soda before we headed back to the room due to the incredible amount of mosquitos that were eating us alive (BRING BUG SPRAY), on our second to last day we got our rental car REALLY dirty, the grounds keeper helped us by letting us wash the car with their hose and even use their vacuum to clear the car, the housekeeping staff cleaned our rooms everyday, and on a particular day even washed our dishes (which I never expected them to do).

Unfortunately I didnt get to swim in the bay so I cant comment on that.

My conclusion is that yes the place is run down and needs some fixing, but for the price we paid and the way we were treated I was more than happy with my stay there and would come back to it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Chenay Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!