“Pretty damn nice.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Usvi
“Pretty damn nice.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012 via mobile

This was our second visit to the resort. It won't be our last. The setting is perfect. The resort has some rough spots in the units but nothing that really bothered us. Very clean. Grounds staff and housekeepers very friendly. Typical Crucians. Complex is for sale and hopefully the new management will continue to improve it. We've been coming to St Croix for many years and will probably always stay here. Recommended unless you need everything just perfect.

• Stayed February 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

This is a nice location, not too far from Christiansted but not in the heart of it, nice to get away. The cottage arrangement is nice, with two rooms to a cottage.
I did end up changing rooms though, having booked an Ocean View room only to find that the ocean was barely visible through some trees - instead the roof of the cottage in front of mine was. The second cottage I was in had a better and more open view. Also, the furnishings were much more modern, so realise that not all the rooms are equal even within the same classification.
Shermine at the reception was very helpful and friendly.
Diane at the water sports was also very nice and provided good information.
The beach is extremely long so you can find a spot for yourself. On the one weekend day I was there, there were a number of local families with children too, as it is publicly accessible.
There is good snorkelling on the right side of the hotel's beach, by the point where the surf is.
I recommend borrowing a kayak and snorkel gear and paddling over to Green Cay - ask Diane where to go, there is only one beach on the West end of it and some decent snorkelling there.
The restaurant has a similar selection to the average restaurants on the island and as expensive as elsewhere; nothing special.
I would definitely recommend staying outside of town, especially if you are looking for quiet in a nice setting. The Carambola Beach Resort is also very nice.

Room Tip: Ask about whether there is a view and when the room was last renovated.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
La Follette, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Chenay Bay December 17-21 for our honeymoon, and I couldn't say enough about how much we loved it. I read all the reviews before we went (perhaps too much) and was pretty nervous before going due to the negative comments. That nervousness was for nothing; the place is great. Our cottage was number 23 (I think) and it was lovely-not one of the recently renovated ones but great none the less. AC worked great, big screen tv with cable, comfy bed, and a little kitchen area with everything you need. Bathroom was a bit small but not even kind of a big deal (was stocked daily with towels and shampoo). Someone on here mentioned that housecleaning didn't wash their dirty dishes for them; I thought this was an odd expectation to say the least but housekeeping DID wash our dishes when we were gone for the day. Needless to say they went above and beyond. Power did go out one night (during Monday night football!!) but not the hotels fault this happens often on St. Croix. Absolutely loved Mahi's (restaurant at Chenay Bay). The food is kind of pricey but we went to tons of restaurants on the island and I think you'll find this to be the same everywhere. The staff was unbelievably friendly and we spent more time there then we had ever planned on! As previously mentioned the food on the island is somewhat expensive (we're budget travelers) so we bought bagels and eggs to cook breakfast in the cottage everyday). Some people on here recommended Schooner's to purchase groceries; we went there and their prices are outrageous! If you're looking for reasonably priced groceries I recommend Plaza Extra. The no see um's are an annoying problem, but as I read many reviews before we left, my husband and I brought Off deep woods spray with us and got maybe 5 bites between the 2 of us...no biggie. And yes Mahi's keeps bottles of the spray all over the restaurant in case you forget to bring your own. Chenay does only have two kayaks available; I was worried about this, but the wind was abnormally high on our trip and rough sea kept us from kayaking anyway. The normally clear water was quite churned up with sand due to the wind, but we visited many beaches on St. Croix and this was the case at every one. The beach at Chenay is shallow for quite a ways out, very lovely, but grassy bottom so I would bring water shoes as we did. Every morning a maintenance worker raked the sand and removed sea weed, thus the beach was lovely. yes the beach chairs could stand to be replaced, but honestly they are fine (I'm on vacation-not going to nit pick every little thing). We spoke often with the bartenders, one who said that Chenay is in financial straits with the bank and, as such, only gets a certain amount of money each month to do only "absolutely necessary" improvements. I tell you honestly that looking at the resort you can't tell..grounds lovely, staff awesome, hot tub has been removed and replaced with a sitting area, pool was great (lights and infinity portions up and running). While on St. Croix we went to Tamarind Reef for drinks and a snack (had been contemplating staying there instead of Chenay) so glad we chose Chenay Bay! Speaking of drinks-I would like to recommend you try a painkiller-served everywhere on St. Croix and absolutely delicious! While we were on the island we rented a car from Judy of Croix; nicest people you'd ever want to meet! Dropped our car off at the hotel and came into our cottage to tell us all about St. Croix and the variety of places to go. We went to Sandy Point national wildlife refuge which was stunning, went to the Domino Club to see the famous beer-drinking pigs (and have a shot of home made "mama wanna", walked and shopped in Christiansted and Fredricksted, and took a sunset sail on the historic schooner "Roseway". We also paid the $4 to use the facilities at the Buccaneer Resort; nice beaches but a little to exclusive for our taste. Absolutely recommend Chenay Bay!

Room Tip: The hills are brutal at Chenay Bay, so I would request one on a flat section!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Michelle S, Manager at Chenay Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Congratulations on your recent marriage! We are so happy you chose to spend it at Chenay Bay and that it was a good experience. We look forward to having you come back and stay for another vacation!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

My husband I travel about three times per year. We visited Chenay Bay in September 2011 as a surprise birthday trip (for me). I have to say that this was hands-down our favorite vacation. The resort is made up of individual cottages. Ours was closest to the beach (#5...perfect location, renovated too). It was nice, clean, and modest. There was no wi-fi which worked well with our idea of disconnecting from our fast-paced NY lifestyle. (If you want you can go sit in the lobby area to access the wi-fi). The kitchenette was adequate. The grounds were beautiful. I'll get to the drawbacks but first the perks... Perhaps the best aspect of Chenay Bay is the people. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, was so kind and helpful and just plain friendly! The housekeeping staff were very accommodating to our schedule, waiting or coming back to our cottage as needed. The restaurant staff gave great suggestions and conversation, making us want to hang out there more than we had initially intended. The manager was also very friendly and helped us celebrate my birthday. She has one of those outgoing, friendly personalities and really made my husband and I feel a part of the Chenay Bay family. They had game nights and live impromptu music from local musicians (I was so sweetly serenaded with the happy birthday song in three different languages on the night of my birthday!) We rented a car for our seven days there and ended up exploring the entire island. I suppose the biggest and only drawback of the resort was those damn no-see-ums! These are tiny flying bugs that bite us unsuspecting travelers, like myself when we least expect it. Their bites itch worse than mosquito bites! Chenay Bay was great with addressing this however. They kept out easily- accessible communal cans of Off bug spray for guests to use. So even if you take a late-night walk on the beach, as you pass the bar and head onto the sand, you'll be able to spray on your layer of protection, compliments of Chenay Bay. (We still kept our own cans inside our cottage and for when we went exploring or into town). There are also great places to explore and visit in St. Croix, it is one of the most beautiful places we've ever visited. Everywhere was flush with amazing natural beauty. For example, one particular day, we took the complimentary kayaks out to the nearby island for some snorkeling. (Wear water shoes if you go here, there's a lot of shells.) It was wonderful to "sail" across the bay right from our resort beach. Another day (my birthday!!) we went to Paul and Jill's Riding Stables. This was quite on the other side of St. Croix. Once we met Jill, we realized that the drive was completely worth it! Jill was awesome, great personality and she certainly knew her stuff! She took us out alone, which she does not regularly do, and was able to tell us about literally every plant or fruit or flower we passed. She explained the amazing slave ruins we passed along the way. She then took us onto the beach, where we took pictures with our horses. The ride was leisurely and extensive. This was just an amazing experience! As far as food... the restaurant food at the resort was excellent (and so were the drinks), but we ate their only a couple of times. For most of our meals, we went shopping at the local Pueblo supermarket and did our own cooking in the cottage. We did however try Ace Roti Shop in Christiansted. The roti shop is close to the resort but is not easy to find! We must have passed the turn off for it about five times before we actually saw the small sign leading to Ace. But when we did actually taste our rotis...mmm, mmm, mmm.....DELICIOUS! Well worth the trouble. So what else can I say? Clearly, we loved Chenay Bay and the island of St. Croix. We definitely look forward to returning in the future.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Amherst, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

We spent a week at the resort Feb, 2011 loved it! There is a kitchenette for a reason it's for cooking! We decided to cut down our cost by preparing meals and doing other things with the money so, every morning we enjoyed oat meal and or my home made rice with tomato's bought from local vendors. Without fail humming birds joined us every morning to pick at our left over breakfast. The pool area could have used a little work but we spent most of our day at the beach, snorkeling, kayaking (they could use a few more kayaks) beach combing, and partaking in the occasional cold beer on the beach after dark. It's a natural beach with sea grass, scattered sand patches (bring water shoes) and full of sea life. I saw octopus, star fish, small coral heads and sea fans just swim out to the right along the shore in 3 or more feet of water, if your going to snorkel TAKE YOUR OWN STUFF.
You need to go to the store and buy beer way too expensive at the bars, Cheese Burger in Paradise great food and staff right down the road. We walked along the beach to the dirt road turned left to the main road then right about 200 yards. We went that way to avoid traffic, they don't drive well there. Meals at the restaurant were limited for us we mostly ate things that were on special 5 dollar burgers, wings and the like. For great meals go to Harvey's or Kim's in Christiansted. Staff was great.

Room Tip: Don't worry about a beach view.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Southampton, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

I saw this deal on Travel Zoo and after a quick call to my sister and my cousin we booked three cottages for ourselves and our spouses. We have all been to St Croix before and were familiar with the beach at the Chenay Bay Beach Resort. Upon arrival we were welcomed and directed to our cabins, which were conveniently close to one another. The cottages were clean, the beds were comfortable, and the very clean, perhaps a little small bathrooms were stocked with sufficient towels, soaps, shampoo, and toilet paper. Each day the cottage was restocked. Beach towels were always available and could be exchanged easily. Beach chairs were always available on the beach and around the pool even though the resort was at capacity. The beach and the pool were clean and delightful. There was some work going on around the pool but the workers were respectful and quiet. They were also burying cables around the cottages while we were there. We enjoyed chatting with them and learned about things of local interest. ALL of the staff - reception, beach bar, restaurant, etc were all helpful and personable. Bugs? Yes there were more than I remembered from previous visits, and not just at Chenay, but all over the island. I read reviews about this, and took the advice of previous visitors and used Neutrogena sesame oil after my morning shower and used bug spray at dusk. No bites. Some guests, who did not heed this warning were not so lucky. There was some spray available at the bar and some other areas. Other guests were friendly but not offensive. We enjoyed the superb views, the ideal temperatures that ranged from 72 to 84 degrees, and spent a lot of time in the water. A car is convenient for exploring the island, shopping, going to other restaurants. We cooked most of our meals in the cottages and found the kitchenettes to be appointed with all the necessary equipment.
We have nothing but happy memories of this trip.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

This was our 15th year visiting St. Croix during the holidays and the 14th year that we have stayed at Chenay Bay. We own 2 time share weeks and look forward to our annual visit to Chenay Bay and St. Croix. Yes, the no-see-ums were bad this year - the island has had a lot of rain. I got many more bites than usual, but these little bugs are everywhere - not just at Chenay Bay. We love the bungalows, very homey, private, and quiet. This property has a LOT of potential - wonderful view of the ocean, Green Cay, and the hills. The beach is nice and the swimming area is shallow. Chenay Bay could be 5-star (tough for any hotel in the Caribbean), while it's not 5-star (too much self-service, not enough amenities), it is still a nice place to call home while we're on St. Croix.

Room Tip: The units that have been converted to time shares are the best - little bungalows with separate bedr...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Michelle S, Manager at Chenay Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 6, 2012
We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay! One of Chenay Bay's best qualities is the privacy and serenity of their location. Thank you for being a part of the Chenay Bay Family!

Been to Chenay Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!