“A No Good No-See-Um Experience” 3 of 5 stars

Chenay Bay Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   East End Rd, Route 82, Christiansted 00824, St. Croix   |
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Baltimore, Maryland
“A No Good No-See-Um Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

Just got back home and so glad I am. I told my husband I should go to the doctor for all these noseeum bites I got. The staff says "don't scratch um" if something itchs, what do u do? This is the true name for these bugs I googled them. I would take pics of my legs, but CBBR would get no more visitors. Not trying to hurt their business, just speaking truth here. I blame myself in a way for not doing the research on tripadvisor first. The staff says the bugs ARE bad this time of yr. It's better to come in Dec. Well thanks alot since I am here now in Oct 2011. We did'nt rent a car, which I regret. We had to walk or get a taxi for $12 round trip up into the downtown area, anything further is more. The breakfast was good, but the next day and the next they did'nt have the grits that I ordered the first day. You have to rent a car, or u will walk the roads like we did one day just to see what was near for something to do. The hottub was not working no day that we were there. 1 wk. I really should have done my research on this one. We have been to every caribbean island (just about) there is and we have never been bitten the way that we were there. I'm glad it's Fall here now because if it was Summer people would wonder "what the hell happened to you, r u contagious or something" I can wear my long pants and sleeves until I heal. And I won't have to b iching like a junkie or something. Please people do the research, check tripadvisor for the real reviews like your getting here. If u call and ask they may not tell u the whole truth. The good: private cottages with porch and nice views. Safe grounds. The Breakfast. Time spent with my husband. Privacy on beach. Clean rooms although no maid service unless u request it. The cats were fun to play with. Next time we will stay @the Palms. Very good reviews there. So beware of the no-see-ums, or u will get bit the Hell up.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Studio City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

My husband and I visited St. Croix in the end of August, 2011 which we booked through CheapCaribbean.com. 1st off, booking through CheapCaribbean was amazing, quick, simple, and the customer service agents are amazing and informative. 2nd, if you are looking to stay at an all inclusive resort where you never venture farther than your hotel room then I recommend staying at the Renaissance at the other end of the island. If you are looking for a charming, quaint, quiet, private beach, bungalow then look no further.

I'm so sorry for the people who had such a sour experience but for my husband and I it was just what we were looking for. Booking online for a place you never been to is always a little unnerving and you are taking a risk but that's half the fun of traveling. If you aren't up for the adventure stay at a Marriott.

When we arrived to Chenay Bay we were greeted by a very charming and polite front desk worker who upgraded our room from a 2 queen to a 1 king room with a view of the pool. We also were not offered any help to our room or walked there by staff but my husband and I travel A LOT and have packing down to a science. We each had 1 bag that was perfectly managable for us to carry, the thought of a luggage cart never crossed our mind.....not to mention you are not in a building, there is a road that leads to the various bungalows, a luggage cart would be more of a hassle to push. We were directed to our room.....I don't get walked to my room at a Hilton, sure as heck was not expecting it here. Also, it is important to note that the off season there is May - Oct. They do not have a full staff during that time since they do not have the occupancy for the need of them. This includes the water sport shack.

Our room was cleaned daily if we wanted. To conserve water we don't usually do daily room service so the days we put the DO NOT DISTURB sign up the staff gracisouly left us a bag full of all clean towels. As for the pool/beach towels, I do not know of many hotels where you don't get your pool towel from either the pool house or the front desk.

Our bungalow was nice. Though it did not look exactly like the pictures from their website, our kitchenett was newly remodled and the fridge was clean. The bed spread needs to be updated but the bed was comfortable to sleep on. Being in paradise we did not spend much time in our room so it was perfect for our needs. Love the private front patio where we spent much time either watching the sunset or waking up with a cup of coffee.

The pool was full and did not have any algae or mold while we were there. The fountains were not working while we were there either but its just decoration, you can't swim in them or anything. The infinity sections were great to sit in and watch the sunset. Also, there is an ocean steps from your front door. If you walk down the beach a bit there is a large section that is all sand and crystal blue water, looks like a pool. Its beautiful!!!

The meals were a little expensive but all the restaurants at all the hotels were expensive. We ate at the Renaissance buffet which people raved about....now that was disappointing. If you think you are getting a vegas style buffet think again. It was more like a family pot luck. The crab claws were uneatable, the selection minimal.....anyhow beware of it. The Chenay Bay specials were really good. The $6 burger was DELISCIOUS!!! And my husband LOVED the wings.

The beach is quiet and nice. Loved the early morning walks along it. Yes, there are no-seeums and mosiquitos....its the tropics....it happens, worst at night.

HERE IS THE SECRET: Neutrogena Sesame Seed Body Oil (you can also get the KMart generic version, which is cheaper) - no joke!!! We met a woman at the bar who uses it cause she doesn't like spraying down with the OFF. She was gracious enough to share. This stuff was a life saver. We already had bites from the previous 2 days, the oil instantly cools any itches and we never got another bite after that. There is a KMart in town....stock up!!

We rented a car. The people at the front desk were helpful, recommended a location that picks you up and drops you off. It is cheap and it gives you the freedom to explore the island. There are so many great places and little hideaway beaches to explore we loved it! And driving on the left side isn't as scary as it sounds.

If anyone has any questions feel free to email. I know where they serve the BEST cream puff on the island!

Most important thing to remember is what are your travel needs. What are the things that would ruin your trip? If you don't care if the bed is a pillow top or that the bathroom might be a tad bit too small then Chenay Bay is a beautiful location to spend your vacation.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Venice
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

NOTE - We always read the reviews on tripadvisor before we travel to see what the resort(s) are all about. We take everything with a grain of salt considering everyone is entitled to their own opinion too & we make the best of it when we travel.
HOWEVER - this time, I had to write the facts....Travelers need to know what they're getting into before they book Chenay Bay Resort!!!

Where to begin.....
Well, we saw this AMAZING deal on cheapcaribbean.com for the Chenay Bay Resort ( and I'm sure most of you saw/purchased the same deal) & we saw the pictures & the amenities & thought, this is perfect for our Anniversary trip!! We had tossed around the idea of a few great trips they were offering but, after many discussions & our conversations with Cheapcaribbean's staff members, we came to the conclusion that Chenay Bay Resort was offering everything we were looking for in a great relaxing resort & amenities.
The trip was booked for Sept 22-28.
We couldn't wait to get down to St Croix!

We are very easy going people & go with the flow BUT this trip was far different than what we expected!
Unfortunately, I regret to say, this by far has been our worst trip EVER!

We had been to St Croix before on a cruise & LOVED it! We raved & raved how we couldn't wait to go back.
When this deal came around, we could not wait to explore everything we missed last time.
To begin with, before I tell the details of our experience with Chenay Bay Resort, I will say, the resort does have alot of potential IF the broken items are fixed & replaced & the resort is updated!
Most of the staff, mainly at the bar/rest. were very friendly & outgoing (especially Dee). The breakfast was good & average prices. The dinner wasn't something I'd go back for however & the prices were high.
As you see in alot of previous reviews about the resort having bed bugs - we did not have bed bugs in our room ( BUT we did bring bed bug spray with us & sprayed as soon as we arrived )
Chenay Bay Resort is not far from downtown Christiansted, about 3 miles but, you'll definitely need a cab, because there is no shuttle service at all from the resort.

BUT - That was not our problem, what made us upset is what you see in the pictures & what they tell you about the resort all in all is COMPLETELY different than the resort you arrive to! You do not arrive at the same resort, it's more like a Chenay Bay Motel!
That is what we were taken back by.
When you arrive at the lovely Chenay Bay, you'll notice the entrance has a lot to be desired for with 3 broken down golf carts to the left & unattended landscaping & design.
Which is unexpected for a grand entrance into a resort!
First we checked in with the front desk & were handed towels that we were told they were our beach & pool towels & we were told to bring them back when we wanted clean towels. AND that was also pretty much the extent of our "pool service" for the entire remainder of our trip too.
After being taken back by our greeting, we thought, it's ok, maybe they're short staffed today. UMMM - NO!
I then proceeded to ask about assistance with a luggage cart & a bellman. The woman said the golf carts are broken & so is the luggage cart & there is no bellman here.
We had to carry everything ourselves to our room & then she proceeded to walk us to our room, NO HELP! When we are home & go a Hilton or even Holiday Inn, this is expected but, when we go away to any resort, there is always service!
As we entered our room/cottage, we noticed it was definitely different than the room that was described to us over the phone & that we saw pictures of that we intended on getting.
There was also a slight stench of mildew that was in the room & never left while we were there. *( Those beautiful pictures other travelers posted with the nice cherry bedroom furniture & beautiful decor are ONLY for timeshare holders, that's the room we thought we were getting too until we were told an additional $100/night IF we want that!)
We unpacked a bit & noticed the toilet was dirty & not working properly; you have to flush multiple times in order for it to work. The cabinet door under the sink was also hanging by the hinge???
The cottages do have a kitchenette in them. So, you can cook during your stay if you choose.
Nothing really seemed to be in working order so we opted out of that.
We attempted to relax & unwind & use the jacuzzi & pool, isn't that the point of our trip?
Unfortunately, the jacuzzi was filled with a few inches of BRIGHT green water & had mosquitos in it!!! Definitely was not operating at all.
We then attempted the pool. The water was about 3/4 full & there was brown mildew along the entire pool length & it had small worms on the bottom & it looked like it had not been vacuumed in a while.
However, about midweek, I did see the pool guy come but, that was the only time he came while we were there - how nice of them!
The 4 beautiful fountains you see in the pictures around the pool were dirty & also had mosquito water in them & were not operating at all.
They look horrible & need to be maintained one way or another, maybe at least put plants in them until you fix them? Just a suggestion!
We were in complete shock of the amenities & talking to the other guests at the pool, they were upset & taken back too. Most came down on the cheapcaribbean deal as well.
BUT some were timeshare guests that were visiting & said it has never looked this bad & unless this improves, they will never return to Chenay Bay Resort!
Speaking of mosquitos, the only way to survive every day is to constantly spray yourself with Off so you are not eaten alive by the mosquitos & no-see-ums!!
They do not spray at all for the bugs! Even when you do spray with Off, you still get bitten!!
Ironically, when we were off property & visiting other resorts to use their watersports & amenities, we DID NOT get 1 bite!! Odd??
I completely understand being in the warmer climate & in a bay area & they are going to have bugs & no-see-ums BUT NEVER have we experienced this!!

While visiting the bar, we also noticed about 5 or so cats roaming the property begging for food while we ate. ALOT of ferrel cats on St Croix in general, very sad. Actually, we do not have a problem at all with cats in general BUT the fact is my husband is highly allergic to cats & can not be around them & had to take a Benadryl every day to be down at the bar/dining area.
AGAIN- VERY different from what we were sold on & it was very unappealing, upsetting & dishonest!!
We decided to go down to the HUT to see about the watersports/activities to make our time enjoyable & attempt to make the best of it. ( When the HUT is open is more like it)
WELLLL - where to begin with this is a whole new topic! The "watersports/activities/amenities" - of the "resort" do not really exist PERIOD!!
To give you a small rundown, as per ALL amenities said to be available on the website (s):

•Sunfish Sailboats - the boats are off to the side of the beach with grass & weeds growing in them, not operable
•Volleyball - does not exist, no net, no ball!
•Bicycle Rental - does not exist - no bicycles
•Tennis - NO racquets & weeds growing on the court
•ONLY 2 kayaks available & duct-taped oars
•Jacuzzi - as I described above, algae, mosquito infested & BROKEN
•Shuttle service - does not exist, we had to rent a car OR pay $6/a person 1 way to downtown- 3 miles a way
•Lounge chairs - ripped, broken down & dirty, my husband actually fell through one as he sat on it, not a big guy either - good thing he did not hurt himself!!!
•Playground - does not exist
•Picnic Area - does not exist
•Beach toys / floating mats - does not exist
•Hammocks - do not exist
•Beach beds - do not exist

We felt taken advantage of, cheated out of a vacation, & used for our money.
Unfortunately, we had no options but to stick it out at this rundown MOTEL! We did not purchase a motel, we purchased the beautiful Chenay Bay Resort that is on the website (s) & that’s where we intended on staying at!! This is completely FALSE ADVERTISING!
We stayed at the resort as little as possible because there is nothing to do & it is very unkept. We ventured out to a few different tourist attractions to keep the time going by & there are things to do off of the resort property. We highly recommend the Buck Island tour with Big Beards tours. Buck Island is amazing!!
We also went to the Buccaneer resort to use their amenities, which was very nice & more of what you're looking for in a resort.
All in all, like we mentioned above, we are very, very disappointed in how this resort was represented & described to us. We never would have expected any of this!
The pictures listed on the website & amenities are beautiful & perfect for us - IF THEY WERE REAL!!! I don't know when the last time someone from the marketing department really looked at the information they are providing.

Someone needs to update the Chenay Bay Resort with REAL pictures of the resort & list REAL amenities & the true story of what is going on at that resort before they can sell
any more vacations. The condition of this resort is not doing well & it really needs a lot of work done here.
If you are considering visiting this resort, think twice & maybe look again next year when hopefully someone buys the resort & turns it around - because we also found out, it is for sale!

Good luck on your St Croix adventures!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Englewood, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

This was our first trip the USVI, so we had no idea what to expect and we were going to St Croix for the sole purpose of scuba diving. I picked Chenay Bay because of cost, the unique bungalow style rooms, and it seemed somewhat closer to Christensted than other resorts. (The diving operator we had arrangements with was in Christensted.) As for location, we were pleased. It took under 15 minutes to get to town and the beach was large and quiet. We booked a bungalow with a king size bed, but got a queen instead. I tried to switch rooms, but the other available king size bungalow was not as nice, so we kept the original. The bath was very small and already had some mildew in the shower. The bed was uncomfortable. But then again, we knew this was not a luxury resort. There is no safe, which is worrisome. On the plus, most of the bungalows have some sort of ocean view, even if you book a garden. It was great having a kitchenette and fridge. We could wake up every morning and have coffee and breakfast on our porch overlooking the water. And, it's nice not having guests on the other side of your wall or above you! The receptionists have no personality, but the staff at the bar and restaurant were great! You must wear bug spray if you will be outdoors. At least the resort provides complimentary bug spray for guests at the bar. The food at the resort is average, but for some reason a lot of locals ate there for dinner. I loved the mojitos! The pool area stinks due to drainage issues. The pool umbrellas are cheap and falling apart. None of the fountains work. The hot tub didn't work. Supposedly you can rent pool floats, catamarans, and snorkel gear from the activities booth, but there was never anyone working there. The resort also states there is a shuttle to and from Christensted daily. However, it's just a taxi, and it costs 25 dollars round trip. If you plan on going anywhere each day, I'd strongly suggest a rental car, but remember...stay left! The diving was awesome and we had a fantastic trip in St. Croix. If you're not planning to spend your entire vacation at the resort, I would recommend Chenay Bay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Tallahassee, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

I just got back from a week's stay at Chenay Bay, and I wanted to respond to some of the bad reviews I've seen. Take it from a seasoned traveler of the Caribbean in general, and the Virgin Islands in particular, this hotel is solid. It's really just aesthetics that generate the bulk of the bad reviews, and you'll find that type of problem at just about any island hotel if you look around.

The bad reviews are right about the hot tub not functioning, the pool deck being dirty, and the no-see-ums. Here's why they're unfair.

1) The hot tub doesn't function, and I guess that is a downer, but you're in the Caribbean... You're liable to give yourself the vapors if you add more heat to your body. The pool water and sea are 90 degrees, so use those and pretend that they're like a hot tub, only more refreshing.

2) The pool deck has some leaves and tannin stains around the edges from the surrounding tropical foliage. It could stand to be blown off and maybe hit with a hose. It's not as if the hotel is pumping raw sewage all over the deck, and the pool itself seemed well-maintained and clean. The fountains and infinity edge don't work, but... again, aesthetics. The hut tub and fountains are just empty, so don't picture stagnant water standing in them.

3) The no-see-ums (read to the end of this paragraph and I promise it will be somewhat reassuring)... Ok, those were no fun, especially for a smoker such as myself. I would step out onto my cabin's porch, especially early morning or at night, and feel lots of little pin pricks. About one in ten would itch. These no-see-ums don't seem to cause the welts and maddening itching caused by the ones I have at my house in Florida, but they're annoying enough. They were also pronounced around the edges of the pool and the edges of the restaurant, but the farther I got from the landscaped areas, the fewer there were. Again, it's not entirely fair to blame the hotel for this, as the wretched little beasts were invading restaurants and beaches all over the island. It must be the season. The hotel does have Off available free of charge, and, probably because I didn't leave the door open for extended periods, they didn't infest the cabin itself. Leave that door open and let them in... I could see how that could turn you into an itchy, irritated, anger machine in just a few days. That happened to me at the Westin on St. John, which, the last time I looked, was going for roughly $350/night. Just keep the door closed, wear Off when you need it, and you'll be fine.

Don't hesitate to stay at Chenay Bay, not for one second. It's hard to pick the best part about it, but the fact that you get a cabin separate from your fellow travelers is a definite plus. I think I stayed in one of the to-be-renovated-later cabins, and it was fine. There were two broken floor tiles, the toilet had some sort of golf-ball-sized age-related stain, and the toilet and bathroom faucet required a little finesse for proper operation. Just a jiggle-the-handle sort of finesse. Those are the only flaws that I could possibly complain about, and I mention them only to show how nitpicky you need to be to have a bad time.

The views over the bay are beautiful at all hours. The staff is friendly. Housekeeping made the beds, emptied the trash, and provided fresh towels every day. The restaurant has good food and the bar loads its drinks with alcohol. The property has easy access to Christiansted and (if you look carefully), the best beaches on the island. You will have a kitchenette that can save you from paying NYC prices at island restaurants the whole time.

Get a car. That is another complaint I have seen, that Chenay Bay is inconvenient or whatever. The USVI are not like Jamaica or the Dominican Republic, and you're going to want to explore rather than be trapped behind the gates of an all-inclusive resort out of fear for your safety. If you're relying on a taxi for that exploration, you will pay for it. If 20 minutes to the airport and five or ten minutes of driving to anything else you want, is inconvenient, well... I guess I just don't understand your expectations.

Chenay Bay is a bargain and makes for some awfully good limin' in my book.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Northern Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

This was my second trip to the island and the first time I have stayed at Chenay Bay Beach Resort. During the first trip, I stayed at Divi Carina. While Divi was a nice hotel, it is now all-inclusive and a bit out of the way. Chenay Bay seems to be 10 minutes away from everything and you have a cottage, not a hotel room.

First, let me address some of the comments about the bugs. Believe me, there are no bed bugs at this resort. That is the first thing I look for at any hotel. Due to the hurricanes and tropical storms, the Caribbean has seen a lot of rain. That means a lot of standing water. No-see-ums thrive in that atmosphere and the first night, my friend and I were eaten alive. They also typically come out and are at their worst at dusk and dawn. We bought a can of spray with 30% deet and it definitely helped. The locals also gave us advice on using citronella, Avon's Skin-So-Soft, and also recommended the next trip, start taking vitamin B12 and garlic tabs about a month before arrival. This will change your body's scent (from what we were told) and ward off the bugs. We bought anti-itch cream to help with the bites we did have and my friend also bought noni oil, which also helped.

Now, back the resort. It is very peaceful and the beach has beautiful white sand and the water was a beautiful turquoise color. If I snorkeled, I'm sure it would be a great place to do it.

As mentioned earlier, the resort is close to everything but none of the beach resorts are within walking distance to the sites. You will definitely want to rent a car. It isn't that difficult driving on the left.

The staff is extremely friendly and very helpful. When on the island, we were always greeted with a "good morning", "good afternoon", "good evening", or "good night". Such a pleasant change from the attitudes in DC.

We only ate at the resort's restaurant one night but the food was delicious. We actually bought groceries and cooked a lot of our meals in our cottage since they all have kitchenettes (stove tops but not oven). This saved us quite a bit of money....which we happily spent in town buying jewelry.

We even had a little mongoose that hung out by our cottage; he/she kind of became our cottage mascot. While those on the island consider the mongoose to be a rodent, this was the first I have seen one and thought it was pretty cute.

This is definitely a great resort and I highly recommend to anyone. It's not a luxury resort but it is clean, the staff is friendly, it is close to everything, and the beach is picturesque. We didn't use the pool, no need to with an entire ocean to swim in, but it looked clean and well kept.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Joplin, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

We had always wanted to come to St Croix, but have gone elsewhere due to prices and flights. I had won a free stay for 2 in one of the larger timeshare cottages at Chenay Bay in a fundraiser raffle for Canine Rescue, so all we had to do was come up with flights and food/drink. This being our first trip there, we planned to "sample" as much of St Croix as possible. We are not high maintenance people, and make our own entertainment, so this property was just fine by our standards. I will post some pictures of our timeshare cottage and some places we went on the island, as there are already plenty of photographs of the resort property already on this site.

Overall, we were pleased with this property. It does appear that it is in process of renovation. Some cottages pin perfect, and others, not so much. The grounds and foliage were well kept, property was clean. However the ponds and fountains were all dry and shut down. We liked the open air restaurant and bar, and the fabulous view from the quiet, uncrowded beach.

PROS: Peaceful, uncrowded, great beach, protected from big waves (it was very windy while we were there, and all the beaches were churning), great restaurant (food was always good, even locals came in for dinner and activities in the evening), beautiful views, friendly staff. The cottage was beautiful, well appointed, with tasteful furnishings and linens. Radio reception is minimal (1 Christian station, 1 Country station), so if you want another type of music, bring some CDs. Our unit didn't have iPod dock. We didn't watch TV except for the informative All About St Croix channel once while there. Too much to do to sit in front of TV. We can do THAT at home! After touring all over the island all week, we concluded that Chenay Bay had the best location for us. May look at Buccaneer when we return to St Croix. Phone service: If you have "nationwide long distance" on your phone, you may call or text people back home with no extra charges. Calling Missouri costs the same as calling New York. One of the great things about going to a US Territory! I must also add that the food in St Croix was most outstanding, the best we have had in the Caribbean!

CONS: The fountains and ponds were drained, looked like somebody might be working on them, but no big deal to us. (Biggest Con: we came home exhausted due to lack of sleep) There is no insulation in the cottages, so you hear everything. We are light sleepers, and in spite of using ear plugs, we were awakened nightly by a bird (pearly eyed thrasher http://birdcinema.com/view_video.php?viewkey=16ff099a49c2f0932b47) who started squawking outside our room at 4AM and didn't quit until 6AM; then the gardener started his work at 7AM,screwing on the water hose to the faucet under our window, raking leaves, etc.

TIP: Bring along a noise machine or small noisy fan if you are a light sleeper.

TIP: Everyone complains about biting insects such as mosquitoes/ no-see-ums, but if you are smart with your bug spray, they are no problem. Just always remember to put on your bug spray an hour before sunset. Some places on the island even had a big can of "OFF" by the front door so you can "spray in on your way in". We never saw any bedbugs. Our only bites were from being outdoors at dusk. The same rule applies if you are on the coast of southern Florida, Bahamas, Mexico, Texas, and so on.

TIP: SUNBLOCK! It doesn't matter how tan you are, you MUST wear sunblock! Don't forget to protect your lips from the sun and wind too.

ACTIVITIES AT RESORT: Minimal, but fine with us. There was a place to rent kayaks and snorkel gear by the bar, and the restaurant would have activities some evenings (Bingo, Trivia, etc), and $5 burger night had live music and more locals than guests attending. The resort was mostly a great place to relax, listen to the waves. Plenty of places to get sun or shade. Pool was always sparkling clean. Pool towels are provided also. There is some good snorkeling out by the point, (be mindful of surge) where we found a nice little reef and saw all kinds of critters, even a turtle! You will have to swim over an expanse of turtle grass to get to the reef, but it's not bad.

TIP: The activities desk has limited hours, and sometimes opens late or closes early.

TIP: Because the restaurant is open air, you may have birds and cats that may join you for dinner. We didn't mind, and they were easy to shoo away. We also saw many mongoose on this island. They scurry about, secretive and shy. 2 anole lizards were on our front porch daily.

ACTIVITIES OFF RESORT: Driving on the left is quite unnerving! It took both of us to pick our way around and stay on the LEFT side of things. We rented our car from Judi of Croix, and it was easy-breezy to arrange, as well as affordable. We drove all over the island, visited many beaches, took hikes, went sailing with Bilinda Charters, went to Christiansted (Check out the Fort and the Waterfront), Point Udall, Carambola/Cane Bay, Frederiksted, Cruzan Rum. There is a good grocery store near the resort (Schooner Bay I think) where you can get most anything you need food/drink/alcohol/sunblock/deli. They don't have Folgers coffee, but we bought and loved the Santo Domingo coffee.

TIP: The island has quite a diverse terrain, and some of the maps you get are not as complete as one would like; the lack of dependable road signs complicated matters. I found that the map feature on my iPhone was a lifesaver!

TIP: While exploring many of the beautiful beaches on St Croix, we discovered that there are no snakes! Back home, we are very careful when walking among rocks and under trees while out in natural areas.

TIP: Although St Croix is a US territory, it is still a Caribbean island country, with a different beat, customs, and culture than the continental US. It's population is made up of people from all over the world. Be kind, and mindful that you are on island time. No hurry, no pressure (For you or By you). Greet people with a smile and good morning before you ask for something...

TIP:You MAY even experience "reverse racism" from time to time. (As we have in other Caribbean destinations) It is a prickly feeling indeed, but we suffered no ill effects, and surmised it was from a history that we personally had no control over. We found that being friendly and polite, speaking first, smiling, and reaching out helped a lot. For the most part, the Crucians are quite reserved.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Chenay Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!