“A Wonderful Family Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Palms at Pelican Cove

You added The Palms at Pelican Cove to your Saves list
The Palms at Pelican Cove
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   4126 La Grande Princesse, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Alberta
“A Wonderful Family Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

I did not know that a RELAXING family vacation could be possible, but our week long stay at the Palms at Pelican Cove proved me wrong.

Our fantastic week started with an amazing glimpse at an endangered turtle on the beach front of the hotel the first night we arrived. From that night on, we were always invited by the owners of the hotel to watch out for hatching baby turtles each evening, just before dusk.

The kids loved the swimming pool and snorkeling. The owner of the hotel was very helpful and taught the kids the necessary basics of snorkeling. My husband and I also enjoyed the peacefulness of the place and taking walks on the quiet beach.

The owners of the hotel also assisted us in experiencing all of the wonders of St. Croix, including a day trip to Buck Island where snorkeling skills were put to the test (we also saw a dolphin and small sharks!), a horsebackriding trip through the rain forest and even watching a pig drink beer!

The food at The Palms was FANTASTIC. I can't say enough about the food. Thumbs up to the chefs. As a vegetarian, I had no trouble finding meatless dishes and even more amazingly, I had no problem finding meals for my picky children. With the ocean literally only a few feet away from the dining area, the combination of the ambience and the delicious food was a heavenly treat -- the icing on the cake for the most relaxing family vacation ever.

• Liked — The helpful assistance and the food
  • Disliked — the shower head too low
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2008

The beach, bar, and restaurant were nice and provided us with many relaxing days with fun at the beach, good food and drinks. However, our hotel room was a disappointment. The bedroom area was clean, but the bed was uncomfortable. The slider door stuck and was very noisy with the nightly winds. I could deal with all that fine, since the hotel rate we got was so cheap. I cannot forgive a dirty bathroom though. It was awful. There was mold all in the bathtub grout and all over the stone wall that was part of the shower. It was disgusting. I would never go back because of this. It's sad because the hotel has a lot of potential and the people were nice.

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Hotel Cleanliness
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Albert48, Managing Director at The Palms at Pelican Cove, responded to this review, December 18, 2008
'We do our best to meet or exceed our guests expectations. However, the hotel has been around a few years so it does have some character. The dark on the shower grout and stone is patina as everything is scrubbed daily with environmentally friendly Simple Green. And you're right, some of the patio doors don't open as easily as they did when new (we can't do much about the noise of the ocean waves). We are on a program of redoing the bathrooms and replacing patio doors and should be done by late 2009. All rooms have new custom made dark mahogany and rattan furniture. The mattresses are brand new deluxe ultra pillowtop from Serta - I'm sorry you found them uncomfortable. Thank you for your positive comments about our beach, restaurant, bar and our staff - we try really hard for our guests. Please come back and see us again; I believe you will be happy with what you see.
Alice, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

Where do I begin? Registering was a snap & we were taken to our room in just minutes. The Gods were smiling upon us and a sea turtle was laying her eggs right outside our room (amazing). Sorry...getting off subject. The staff is wonderful, the owners are spectacular. Chuck & Joyce love their property and it shows. Chuck will take you snorkeling - cant beat that!

The bar staff can not be beat. Hands down the very best beach bar on STX. One of the bartenders - (Joe Van) made our week. Hopefully we will stay in touch. Just look for the cute guy with the dreadlocks.

I cant say enough about the Chef at the Palms. If you are without a car - NO WORRIES!! Between the Palms & Elizabeth's you will NOT go hungry. I am still raving about the jerk porkchop he prepared. The two pasta dishes I tried were bland...I hope they can spice it up a bit. My husband had a ribeye and he said it was the best steak he had ever eaten & we are from Texas. LOL

Our room was very clean & just a few feet from the beach. Housekeeping was excellent (Ms Giselle took very good care of us). Anything you need or want...is there.

Ok, now for my one and only complaint. The beach is rocky & rough. I mean ROCKY! Dont even attempt going in the water without beach shoes. Also, the snorkeling is suppose to be amazing...but my husband nearly drowned in the strong current. We stayed clear of the beach after our second day. I was really disappointed because I love to snorkel & was looking forward to being able to snorkel at the hotel. PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!!

If you have any questions about our stay please email me.

Stayed November 2008
Albert48, Managing Director at The Palms at Pelican Cove, responded to this review, December 3, 2008
Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We are very glad that you had a great stay and will pass along your comments to all our staff. It is unfortunate that the waves were so high the week that you were here; it definitely makes snorkeling the reef more of a challenge. You are right in that the coral reef comes close in to shore in front of the two residential buildings. The best place for swimming is in front of the administration building and outdoor restaurant. The white sand beach there is several hundred feet wide and the waves and currents inside the swim buoys rarely present a problem. We also now have a large educational sign at the swim beach which talks about the coral reef and its marine life, as well as the best locations for swimming and snorkeling.
Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2008

My husband and I spent the first week of November 2008 at The Palms, and it was wonderful. We ended up there by chance, I had booked another hotel close by, but after finding bugs in the bed we moved over to The Palms. I am so glad, The Palms rooms are very nice and we ened up with a room that walked right out onto the beach- what a view! Room#4. All the help was very nice, the food was good and protions are large. The beach is of course the best part. Snorkeling there is fun, we saw lots of pretty fish, brain coral, antler coral, and our friends saw a sting-ray and jelly fish. Chuck- the owner gives free snorkeling tours, and will tell you about the nesting turtles.

The bar is a fun place to hang out, and the pool is very nice. It's just a great place to stay. I hope to go back someday. : )

• Liked — The view from our room, and how clean it was.
  • Disliked — Can't think of a thing.
oklahoma city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

My husband and I spent a week at the Palms from 11/01-11/08 and enjoyed our visit thoroughly. Upon our arrival we received a lovely bottle of rum and some cans of coke to start the vacation. We stayed in room 12 and had a wonderful view of the ocean. We had two large queen size beds (very comfy), mini fridge and plenty of towels. We had excellent snorkeling in front of the resort. Should you need snorkel gear just ask at the front desk. Towels are also available for check out at the front desk. We saw many colorful fish, crabs, lobster and a five foot stingray! When you check in the hotel, sign up for a snorkel tour with Chuck the owner. Chuck does an outstanding job of showing and telling of the critters in the ocean. Also, the hotel has turtles that nest on the beach. We were very lucky to watch a female turtle come up to lay her eggs. We were unfortunate to miss out on new of the hatchings while we were there as we were in the wrong spot at the wrong time. Darn. If you ask Chuck or Joyce they will be thrilled to discuss the turtle activity with you. The hotel staff was friendly and always offered ideas for things to do. We did not come across one unfriendly staff member the whole week we stayed. The food was excellent and very large portions. Try the backwards wings, our favorite. The hotel had beautiful plants and a warm inviting atmosphere. The outside bar is a great social meeting place. Many locals as well as the visitors sit around and enjoy a cold beverage with a gorgeous view of the ocean. The pool was large and refreshing after a dip in the ocean. We loved the Palms and when we return to St. Croix we will be returning.

• Liked — Snorkeling and Beach location
  • Disliked — Nothing
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

My wife and I just got back from the Palms and couldn't have been more pleased. Almost everything about our stay was fantastic. Here are a few key reasons I strongly recommend this resort.

1.) Snorkeling: Not only is this a great area for snorkeling, the hotel owner gives a great, complimentary snorkel tour almost daily. Depending on the seas, the tour can be relatively easy or more advanced. The reefs outside the hotel are full of interesting Elkhorn coral, a great variety of fish, and tons of areas to explore.

Additionally, Chuck, the tour guide, is always around and knows the waters around his hotel very well. I frequently asked his advice on when and where to go, and he provided fantastic information.

2.) Food: My wife and I were remarkably surprised at the quality of the food. Everything from the bar food to the dinner food was fine dining quality. Some of the best items on the menu are the Escargot, a fantastic steak and gorgonzola cheese sandwhich, and "backwards wings," which are tossed in blue cheese and dipped in hot sauce.

The other great thing about the menu was the pricing. Nothing was tourist trap priced; everything was reasonably priced and a bargain compared to what most resorts charge for lesser quality food.

3.) The Staff: Lots of great and interesting people work here and everyone is quite friendly. Conan runs the bar side and will breathe fire upon request. Great guy and an extremely knowledgeable bartender who can make everything from a refreshing, fruity Pina Coloda to a special California Leprechaun. The day bartender, Jovan, was a great conversationalist and fun person to pass some afternoon downtime with.

These were the main highlights, with a special emphasis on the people. The friendly and personable service from the owner and the staff really made our stay--so be sure to tip well!

Of course, a key element of a hotel is the rooms, and the Palms is good, but not great on this front. They are in the midst of a multi-million dollar renovation and expansion, so some updated rooms should be available soon.

We stayed in an Ocean View king room that was really Ocean front. We were about five yards from the shore and, in our opinion, had the best positioned room in the hotel. So, here's a little reward for reading this far: request Room 8.

As for the room interiors, the air quality and feel is great. There isn't the musty, damp feel you get in many Caribbean rooms. The beds, pillows, and linens were definitely 3 star quality, but not uncomfortable by any means. This was really the only issue my wife and I had (we like ultra-comfortable bedding). The same was true for the in-room and beach towels as well.

My wife and I try to be as eco-friendly as we can in places where water is scarce and costly. However, we really couldn't reuse towels. However, we learned both water and electricity are extremely expensive here (electricity is 3 times as expensive in St. Croix as it is in the contintntal U.S.).

We did our best to consume as little of both as possible out of respect for the environment and the establshment. And, sorry for being preachy, but regardless of where you stay on St.Croix, do what you can to reduce energy and water waste. Try leaving your AC at 72 when you're out of the room and not running water for no reason. Not only will help keep room costs down in the future, its also a nice way to be kind to a beautiful island that is nothing but kind to its visitors.

So that's my take. If you head to St. Croix, be sure to give the Palms a close look. And, again, try to get Room 8.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — towels
Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Palms for our anniversary ,the staff was very pleasant,the rooms were clean and the property was beautiful. If you are looking for a piece of paradise ,you will find it at the Palms. I can't say enough good things about our stay, we can't wait to go back to St Croix and the Palms. We will be making yearly trips to our new found vacation spot. You cannot go wrong if you choose the Palms, the restaurant was super, not a bad meal on the menu.The view was straight from a post card ,words do not do it justice. You can't go wrong at the Palms.

Dwayne & Jeanette

• Liked — Clean, friendly staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Palms at Pelican Cove? Share your experiences!