“A magnificent and relaxing getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Palms at Pelican Cove

and 1 more site!
You added The Palms at Pelican Cove to your Saves list
The Palms at Pelican Cove
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   4126 La Grande Princesse, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Offers & Announcements
2 NIGHTS FREE!
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“A magnificent and relaxing getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is the 2nd year in a row that we have gone to The Palms at Pelican Cove with two other couples. It is very relaxing there. We had all kinds of plans to leave the hotel and scout about the island, however the beach chairs sucked us in and we were unable to get motivated to leave. The Palms has full service restaurant, beautiful beach, helpful staff, and tons of privacy.

Having been to several island resorts over the years, we always try to remember that "Island Time Zone" is very pervasive. When traveling with "city people", they can get annoyed if waitstaff at dinner isn't "johnny on the spot". However, when in St. Croix (or any other island), we never plan to have a quick dinner and make tight plans after. Everything is slow and relaxed on the island, and the same goes for food and service. Very polite, but definitely a different vibe than food service at an urban resort. As long as you don't expect to eat dinner in a hurry, and you take time to enjoy the experience you have traveled to have, all is well :)

Coming 2 years in a row, it is interesting to notice how much of the staff remains from year to year. During conversations with employees, we learned how common it is for staff members to be there for many years, which is great for continuity and "feel good" for returning guests. Staff members remembered us by name - even which of us got up early, and which one slept until afternoon. It made us feel very much at home, and we look forward to going back again.

Room Tip: We prefer an oceanside room on the 2nd floor, so we can leave the large sliding patio door open and...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We had 2 rooms over the 4th of July birthday and everything was just perfect. We were there for my Mom's birthday and when we walked in with decorations for the table for dinner, 2 people rushed to our side to take care of everything without me even asking. The Front Desk staff was on our every need and the food was great as well as the service in the restaurant. We will be back!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

My wife and I chose to stay at the Palms at Pelican Cove after reading the very positive reviews and seeing the high ratings on TripAdvisor. The Palms is the most highly rated place to stay in St. Croix on TripAdvisors.

Bottomline is that I cannot begin to understand how the Palms has such high ratings, especially when compared to the Buccaneer. My wife and I checked in and immediately realized it wasn't a "high-end" resort like we expected. The room was pedestrian, and the rest of the facilities were old and outdated at best. To make matters worse, we found hair in the bathroom and never could get anything more but luke warm water out of the shower.

Meanwhile, on the first day we drove around the island exploring other sites and resorts. We visited the Buccaneer resort and immediately decided we'd rather stay there. The Buccaneer--in our opinion--is WAY WAY better than The Palms. We can't understand how The Palms can possibly score higher on TripAdvisor. The Buccaneer--in our opinion--has nicer rooms, better amenities, better restaurant and bar, better pools, better location and has more of a high-end resort feel than The Palms. It's not even close.

In our opinion, the Buccaneer is by far the best resort to stay at on St. Croix.

On the plus side, when I spoke to the manager at The Palms and said my wife and I wanted to immediately check out and go to another resort, she was very professional and accommodating. I ran through the reasons for our dissatisfaction and she immediately agreed to refund the remaining portion of our deposit. In the end, we stayed there one night and checked out on the same day of speaking to the manager.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
IslandGroove, Manager at The Palms at Pelican Cove, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
We are happy that you were able to be relocated to a more suitable resort during your stay on St Croix, but please let us clarify that our property is not a 5 star brand.

Most of the guests who stay with us have researched the various hotels and resorts on St Croix to know that while we strive to offer superior customer service and guest satisfaction, in a relaxed and natural setting, with modern, updated, clean guest rooms with sweeping Caribbean beach and ocean views, we are very much a casual and comfortable property, and not a formal very upscale property with a marble lobby and reserved atmosphere.

After speaking with our General Manager, who you agree was very accommodating with your relocation desire, we are surprised that you also felt the need to write a review with a poor rating, considering that The Palms was simply not the type of hotel you choose to stay in while traveling. After all, although we may not have been suitable for you, we are most definitely suitable for many thousands of satisfied travelers every year.

After reading the review you wrote for your stay at the other hotel, however, we noticed that even there, there were some things you were also unhappy with.

In the end, our hope for you as travelers to St Croix, like we hope for all travelers, is that you took home fond and cherished memories of your visit.
Rochester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

How to begin? Forgive my superlatives...Julie first- the best hotel manager in St. Croix. Even though she was president of the USVI hotel group during our stay and had to take care of lots of their business, we felt like her only job was to first, help me make all arrangement ahead of time and recommend terrific vendors and talk me through the hours and hours of preparation, then once we were there make us and our 20+ guests have a great time and feel at home.
She and then once we arrived, her assistant Mark made sure all was handled so my husband and I could enjoy ourselves as well as make all work smoothly for the wedding couple. our room was prepared and immaculate, flowers and rum awaiting us. Front desk manager Pat greeted us everyday with down home greetings and was aware of all the rooms for guests, did some maneuvering of rooms, let us get into rooms early to leave special gifts for all. Kendrick (one of the many workers always around to help in regular and unexpected ways) was a joy in his helpfulness as well as his conversation (shout out to Kendrick to go take those admittance tests again and get yourself moving along!)
Elizabeth (waiter) was wry, sweet, loving and smart every AM and PM, bringing us breakfasts (delicious fruits, eggs, drinks), lunches (oh - the pork sandwiches!) and dinners (the various Mahi dishes!) efficiently but more importantly, as if we were in her own kitchen. Plus handled many of our family members with their varying degrees of tastes and (let's be frank) politeness. Our main housekeeper (I feel awful that I lost her name in my senior memory banks) again, managed to make us feel like we were staying in her own home and had anything we wanted brought to us anytime. She found earrings I'd dropped, put drinks into fridge that I forgot and kept the room immaculate all week despite our constant comings and goings and much sand on our feet!
The beach was lovely with some chaises scattered about and some shade from some palms if you wanted it. MOST IMPORTANT on the beach --- watch for the neighbors who bring down their beautiful thoroughbred racing horses to exercise/cool down in the waters off the Palms. The first time we were amazed and I swam out to be near them - swimming with their trainers in 8 foot deep waters. I swam closer and closer until they realized they weren't going to get away from me! Then they let me do the exercising by calmly holding onto the mane of "Thunder __" and his reins and just floating along as he enjoyed his swim. Then they came each day and invited me to take him out....as my son said "crossing off a bucket list item I didn't even know I had!"
Then there is the owner Chuck and "all around guy" Mitch who took family members out for snorkeling off the beach "no charge"...they saw more there than the paying excursion we did later in the week off harbors on boat.
Bartenders were great and again, I have lost names in my memory. Fun drinks, fun times at the bar with many locals as well as hotel guests which made for way more fun for all of us.
Julie and Mark just kept up with us the whole time - from getting the ceremony spot sand raked to indulging us with changing reception venue (twice) once we got there, turning the big dining room into an intimate setting for our 30 person dinner including dance floor. Food for reception and meals was delicious - appetizers were fresh and enjoyed by everyone. Chef came out and made sure all was well regularly (Eileen???). Can't recommend any place more highly -- would only stay there when we go back-- fancy hotels be damned - you can only get this experience at The Palms.

Room Tip: Pick a top floor suite overlooking the ocean if you can afford it (hardly more in cost really). But...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Arnold, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Great place to learn how to snorkel; Mitch was very patient with us. Staff was fabulous. My daughter had severe sunburn. One person ran home and got gauze and aloe and another one offered to stop by the store and bring us Neosporin. We ate almost every meal at the resort. The food is good and the atmosphere is very relaxing. Tuesday night is Caribbean night; loved it! We had the beach to ourselves. I can’t think of anything better than lounging on the beach and sipping a Lime in a Coconut drink. It can be difficult to find tourist attractions because most streets are not marked. It was easy however, to find Point Udall and downtown Christiansted. Be sure to go to Buck Island.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Bethany Beach, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Extremely friendly front desk and restaurant staff. Ate all of our meals on site. Appreciated the varied menu with what I call "normal" choices. Prices were appropriate. One funny surprise was for breakfast I decided to order a fresh baked muffin. It might have just been the timing - but I thought I would never get that muffin - I'm pretty sure it was baked after I placed my order - definitely delicious and definitely fresh baked. But, I didn't make that mistake again as my husband was more than a little annoyed waiting over 20 minutes to get our breakfast :)

If you enjoy sitting out on your balcony be sure to check out your room before unpacking. We had to ask to be moved as our 1 bedroom deluxe beachfront room - although a perfect room - had a large balcony that had no roof so no shade or shelter from the hot sun. We spend a good deal of time on a balcony but since I've had my share of skin cancer - had to give up the great room for a smaller room on the first floor. That was disappointing but there was no way I could spend time out there in the blazing sun.

Our room had no clock - luckily I always pack a small alarm clock. I was glad the room had a safe but to call it a safe is a stretch. The safe is in the closet wall - a small door that opens with a key. Not easy to open as with several coats of paint over the years I had to pry it open with the key most of the time. Then, once open it is only as deep as a wall stud. Could stuff in our wallets, passports, keys, but not much more. No one will steal the towels as they were the roughest towels I have every used - I dreaded using them. Luckily I wasn't sunburned!

Really appreciated the self service laundry room right across from our room - only $1.50 each for the washer and dryer - everything dried in one cycle too.

We didn't use the pool but it was inviting, large, and people seemed to really using it.

Now for the snorkeling. I booked this hotel solely because we were looking for a place to stay with good snorkeling directly from the shore. After reading review after review about the amazing snorkeling I knew that this was the place for us. I was really looking forward to having Mitch (or someone) give us our introductory snorkeling tour of the house reef. We are experienced snorkelers but knew from reading that the reef might be a little tricky to access. Well, I was sooo disappointed to find out that when we checked in that Mitch was sick. Obviously, a person gets sick or should take a day off here and there, but even though I had read in other reviews about people getting an introductory snorkel from other people, no one stepped up to give us one. I made a point of telling everyone that I met - front desk - 2 different people who took us to our rooms - that we were there solely to snorkel. I was directed to walk 5 minutes down the beach to snorkel or to go off property. So, that first afternoon, I did swim out in front of the pool area quite a way, but I was by myself and I was a little leery of the rip current postings, so I never did get to see all the good stuff people write about. The next day we walked down the beach about 5-8 minutes to the old dock. Two things to note - we had the bad luck of having low tides during the middle of the day and the water is extremely shallow. Nothing to see close to shore except tons of sea grass. We happened to meet a woman who lives there who was floating around. We asked her about where to enter to snorkel. First, she showed us that we would have to swim quite a ways out (where some spear fishing people were) and then we would could drift down around the corner for a ways. It might have been an amazing snorkel, but we decided that we weren't interested in drifting down that far and then having to walk back plus back to the hotel. So, we never did get to snorkel on site. That was extremely disappointing because the weather was great but the snorkeling didn't pan out.

It is interesting that when we went into Christiansted twice, we would stop and ask people in their boats or the shops about where to go to snorkel. When we told these people that we were staying at the Palms, not one person recommended the Palms for snorkeling. Oh well. It was just bad luck on the timing of our stay as most of the reviews rave about snorkeling.

As for the resort - definitely recommend. Easy, inexpensive and fast taxi ride into Christiansted. Good reasonably priced food for all three meals. Friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Beautiful beach, awesome bartenders and staff, great pool area, clean rooms. The staff went out of their way to make sure we had a great time. They also offer great free snorkeling trips! We saw whales our first day there while eating breakfast at their beachfront dining spot. They also had fun night time entertainment at the resort.

Room Tip: Higher up rooms are better for views of the Ocean.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Palms at Pelican Cove? Share your experiences!