When we had to leave!
The Palms was simply PERFECT for us and we would go back in a heartbeat if $$$$ allowed!
We arrived the last weekend of April (seems impossible it was so long ago . . . memories seem so recent) and stayed for a week. Since we were there to get married we paid extra for the special "Two of Us" package and were thus afforded a cab (van) ride all to ourselves which meant no intervening stops. Arrival and checking were absolutely painless and were soon in our room (#5). It was a ground floor two queen unit which opened right onto the beach . . . I mean we could get feet wet in 50 feet!!!
The room had rose petals spread over the beds and chilled champagne waiting along with beautiful cut flowers . . . Patti was in heaven instantly. We just chilled that Saturday and Sunday until we could get a rental car on Monday. By chilled I mean we layed out on the beach, swam, snorkeled, had a few drinks at the open air bar and simply let big city life ooooooze from our bodies into the sand. ALL the staff, I emphasize ALL the staff were incredibly helpful and friendly and we instantly felt comfortable will them.
This place is the polar opposite of the big, highly organized and impersonal resorts like you see on Cancun which was precisely what we wanted! If you need constant pampering, drink service on the beach, pretty cabanas and immediate access to droning jet skis this is NOT your place. The Palms epitomizes the concept of "island time" to their very great credit!
A bit about the beach . . . some have said this is not a place for a beach vacation and we couldn't disagree more! Yes, there are reefs very close to shore but in front of the main complex the bottom was fine and the swimming great! With the reef so close the snorkeling is great, and after having the famous (infamous :) Mitch showing us around the reef (during which he takes pics with his underwater camera) it was even better! After Mitch took just the two of us out for a night snorkel it was perfect!!!! When Patti came up out of the water her grin was so heartfelt and honest it was simply heartwarming . . . and she still grins to this day every time I mention it. Mitch enabled her to actually (most gently) hold an octopus as well as several other small creatures and being able to see them in the natural world was just icing on the cake! It was great to relax on the patio while watching Patti snorkel directly in front of the room, not sure where else that would even be possible.
I would be totally remiss to not mention a bit more about Mitch . . . man of many skills and as personable and fun as anyone you would ever want to meet! Besides the pics he takes while snorkeling (which he then puts on a DVD for you to keep), he also is a masterful tour guide on dry land; and he also makes a heck of a wedding witness when we dragged him away from his lawn trimming duties to be a witness at our very small, intimate wedding ceremony held on the beach. We absolutely wanted him to be part of the ceremony and the fact that he was covered with weed eater clippings simply added "charm" as far as we were concerned! Mitch, we miss you and hope to see you again!!!!
A few words about the wedding . . . since it was just Patti and I we wanted a very low level of formality which the Asst. General Manager, Marc went through great pains to provide! The level of effort and worry that Marc put into making sure everything met our desires was humbling to the point that we worried that he was going to wear himself out! Marc, it couldn't have been more perfect!!! From my first email to Marc weeks before we arrive to the moment we left Marc spared NO effort to make sure we were well taken care of. OBTW, Marc was also shanghaied into being a witness in the wedding even though he worried he didn't look "good enough". From the cake to the photographer to the Celebrant he arranged for our wedding was EXACTLY what we wanted thanks to Marc. Louise, the Celebrant, is the last part of the wedding story . . . our initial meeting, scheduled for a few minutes turned into a 2 hour session by the pool with someone we felt became an instant part of our family. WE had a wonderful conversation about who we were, and what we thought we wanted. She seemed to instantly understand our desire for an intimate but spiritual ceremony and intently listened while offering suggestions and ideas. The result was the perfect ceremony that we will never forget! The wedding picture of the 5 of us together; Louise looking wonderful in her flowing skirt, Mitch covered with clippings, Marc , and the two of us is one our favorites and will soon be hanging on our wall!
Many others have written about Monday Caribbean night so we well just echo what they have said and say it is a "don't miss" . . . especially with Mitch out there dancing :) Mitch also guided many of our fellow beach bums to the "Jump Up" festival on the water in Christianstead. It was a hoot and was a lot of fun! Oh, the Tuesday evening movie on the beach, also put on by Mitch was great fun!
Our travels around the island while driving on the left are also a pleasant memory . . . sure we got lost a few times, drove down some goat track dirt roads, and constantly repeated the mantra "stay left, stay left" but all in all it was just part of the adventure. Since we had completely embraced "island time" we simply never felt any pressure to be anywhere at any given time.
I'm sure I've left some items out but we can without reservation recommend the Palms facility and more importantly the staff! Go there with the intention of embracing island time and you will have a great time!! We can't wait to go back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Palms at Pelican Cove sits on 7 acres of coconut palms and white sand beach, and is just 3 miles west of Christiansted. There is swimming in front of the property, and with Long Reef just a few yards off shore, excellent snorkeling (day and night) is also available. We provide complimentary snorkel gear and tours of the reef. Our freshwater pool is one of the largest on the island and is regularly used by SCUBA for introductory dive lessons. We have a tennis court and complimentary gear. There are many hiking trails on the island and we regularly make excursions with guests. There are 40 spacious rooms at the hotel, and all offer panoramic oceanfront views from expansive terraces. All rooms are air conditioned, and are equipped with a small refrigerator and coffee maker. The Palms Restaurant is located on property and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Mahogany Bar is located beachside, serves up wonderful beverages, and has a late night bar menu. The front desk is open 24/7 and security is provided around the clock. Wireless internet access is complimentary. The Palms won the 2010 Best Beach Resort and Best Hotel on St. Croix as voted by readers of the Virgin Islands Daily News. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The Palms at Pelican Cove reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Palms At Pelican Cove Hotel Christiansted
- Palms At Pelican Cove Christiansted
- Palms Pelican Cove
- Palms At Pelican Cove Hotel
- The Palms At Pelican Cove St. Croix/Christiansted, U.S. Virgin Islands