“View of Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Palms at Pelican Cove

You added The Palms at Pelican Cove to your Saves list
The Palms at Pelican Cove
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   4126 La Grande Princesse, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Marlton, New Jersey
“View of Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Just got back from a long weekend at the Palms. The view from our terrace, 34, was just perfect. Pretty rooms, wonderful staff. If you eat dinner there ask for Vince, what a sweetheart! Stephanie who book our room, last minute, was the best. Local bottle of rum waiting for you in the room with cokes. Breakfast is cooked to order, again you ask for it they bring it. Owners dog sits next to the table, just like home. This place was voted best small hotel a few years in a row and I can see why. Sorry for the big chains but when we go back we are going to the Palms! Thanks for giving us a perfect get away weekend!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Mom and daughter trip; 5 days. I was concerned when we first arrived because it was late at night and I just didn't get the feeling that I'd made the right choice. I later learned that a lot of info wasn't explained to us so maybe it was the lateness and fatigue. However, I can honestly say that The Palms was perfect for us. Our room was lovely, brightly colored, tile floor and clean. Our room faced east so we had fabulous morning sunshine (when we wanted it), spectacular views, large balcony overlooking the ocean, and great shower. Cons - the beds in our room were not at all comfortable and the pillows were thin. Refrigerator was handy but didn't cool well - we should have called in for service but didn't - it wasn't hugely important.
The beach was very nice. Could walk east for aways for exercise and beach combing. Recommended swimming area is small but with the breeze and current it was ever changing and swimming was delightful. Lots of palm trees to provide shade when desired; same at pool which was likewise very nice. Chaise lounges could use some updating as many had torn straps but still worked well.
Mitch was a fantastic help to us providing us snorkel lesson in the pool before we headed out with Caribbean East to Buck Island which is a MUST DO and SPECTACULAR! Snorkelling was fantastic. The next day we went on a snorkeling tour with Mitch just off the hotel shore. Though the water was a little murky in spots due to recent weather, etc., it was a fun snorkel experience - rays, sea urchin, blue tang, a porcupine fish, coral, etc. Many people were snorkeling off the beach daily. Clearly a significant draw. Mitch also does a daily tour - just sign up.
The food and entertainment were also great. Our meals were delicious - especially breakfast and the fresh snapper with creole sauce for dinner! Bar food was bar food. Service was often slow with dining but the staff were all very friendly, polite and were working very hard to do the right thing. Dining is definitely a draw for locals as there appeared to be many social and business meals going on. We liked that locals frequented The Palms and that it's not just for tourists.
We wanted down time and The Palms was perfect. The beach and pool at our fingertips. Friendly and helpful staff. Water Aerobics and yoga on the beach offered some days, entertainment most nights, access to sports equipment including snorkel gear at no charge. It was stress free, friendly, easy going, and absolutely delightful.
Though we rarely travel to the same place twice, if we do, The Palms will be a repeat visit.

Room Tip: 2nd floors - awesome views. Eastern facing are bright early. End unit has little neighbor noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Chapel Hill, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Me and my mother stayed here for several nights and we couldn't be happier with this place. Friendly and helpful staff, large rooms, a decent on site restaurant (breakfasts here are tops) and our room was looking right at the beach. A great added bonus was an afternoon snorkel trip excusive to the hotel patrons (you can borrow snorkel gear and towels at the hotel lobby). The trip leader, Mitch, was very friendly and took pictures during the outing (he burnt the pictures of the outing on a CD-Rom disk and placed them in my room mailbox as a freebee, very kind of him). Also add some of the best free wifi service I've had in a hotel (Hulu worked with almost no problems on my tablet), great weather, and of course, a nice beach right in front of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Whitman, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Stayed at The Palms from Feb. 28 thru Mar. 8. Room was spacious, bright and had a king bed. The bathroom had a large shower and a double vanity. A private balcony that had a nice ocean view also. The grounds are well kept and nicely landscaped, plenty of shade to be found. The food is good and not overpriced by any means. The bar area is somewhat small and can be overtaken by the non guest "regulars" during the 4-6 p.m. happy hour. Nothing in the immediate area for bars and restaurants so it seems to have a following of locals. Monday night Carribean Night is very entertaining and a must see. Took the Big Beards half day snorkeling trip to Buck Island and the island tour with Sweeny Tours, both enjoyable and I recommend both. I did not rent a car as I did not want the added stress of driving on the left in unfamiliar territory. Christiansted is approx. 3 miles from the resort and can be walked to by those of you fit and ambitious! The land in the area is flat and easy to walk/run for the fitness minded. The beach is nice for lounging around and taking a dip to cool off. I didn't find it to be great for snorkeling due to the currents and the somewhat rough surf. The staff is very friendly and helpful, in fact I found just about everyone on the island to be extremely friendly and sociable. The resort was pretty much what I expected based on the reviews and we weren't disappointed. Overall I rate The Palms as an "average" 3 star resort.

Room Tip: All rooms appeared to have an ocean view. I prefer a 2nd floor room for a better view. I also like t...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Albert48, Owner at The Palms at Pelican Cove, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Palms and for your kind comments. We are located in a quiet community, and you are right, we have many locals that enjoy our bar & restaurant. Many of our resort guests enjoy spending time with our neighbors. The snorkeling just off our beach can be a little tricky during high winds. We encourage our guests to accompany one of our snorkeling experts on a complimentary familiarization tour. We have a large information sign that details some of the unique attributes of our reef. We are glad you were able to experience some of the friendly people of St. Croix. We hope you return soon to our family here at the Palms.
Clayton, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed at The Palms for one night while waiting to get into our condo for the week. Walking out the sliding glass doors onto the private patio, is a beautiful scene of bent and curved palm trees with the ocean behind. The restaurant has delicious food with an intimate bar and live music. The swimming there is limited unless you don't mind swimming in sea grass. There is a nice pool on site as well as a nice beach around the bend. A bottle of rum and some cokes await you in your room- good start to your vacation here!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

I booked the Palms at Pelican Cove last minute because of the horrible reviews of my original hotel. I am so glad I did.

My first impression of the hotel was great because the staff is so nice. The airline had just lost our luggage and we were super stressed when we arrived. The told us to relax and to grab a drink. Then we were escorted to our room by Mitch, a super nice member of the staff. Mitch sat down with me and gave me an overview of the island and drew a map that told me how to get to the store and to the city, then gave me his card in case I got lost. Very nice guy.

The room was nice. It is a little dated in my mind, but the bathroom is nice with 2 sinks and a large shower. And it was very clean. We were in room 10, which is right across from the housekeeping closet. That combined with the thin walls and the very active couple upstairs made for some early mornings (at least in vacation time). The promised wifi was spotty at best and did not work most of the time.

The balcony and view deserve it's own callout. Amazing. Breathtaking. Relaxing. I could go on and on, but I will just post a picture instead.

I attempted to go snorkelling with my own gear, but honestly the rip current scared me and kept me close to the shore. I did see a few fish and a couple of squid, but nothing more than that. I did hear the reef is awesome, but again, I was afraid of the current. The hotel takes you out snorkelling if you reserve a spot with them, but I wasn't structured enough to commit to a time between napping and sipping on beverages.

We arrived on a Monday which was great because it was Caribbean night. It was a lot of fun. They had a buffet, fire dancers, etc... definitely not to be missed. It gets crowded so I recommend making a reservation.

The bar is nice, the drinks are good, but I am surprised at how many I drank with little effect. The food from the restaurant is okay. We had lunch the next day and it took an hour to get a sandwich and burger. There was a large group that kept the servers and kitchen busy, so I don't know if that is usual. We did have a great view of the ocean from the restaurant which was nice.

Overall - the staff was wonderful. The view from the room is amazing. The bar is an enjoyable place to hang out in. Great location close to Christiansted. The only reason I am giving this place 4 stars was the noise in the morning. I enjoy sleeping in during my vacation. We would definitely go back.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

My husband and I - and all our wedding guests - had an unforgettably dreamy time at The Palms for our July 2013 wedding. He and I are from St. Croix, though we live in the U.S. now, and this hotel came highly recommended by local family and friends. It did not disappoint. We heard repeatedly from our guests: "Best Wedding Ever!" And I have to give a lot of the credit to The Palms. One guest, who has since gotten engaged, is now planning to honeymoon at The Palms because she loved it so much.

THE WEDDING

We basically got a wedding planner as part of the deal! Julie, the hotel manager, is an organized, caring and knowledgeable event host. She, the head chef and the staff took such special care of us, giving us great advice that not only made the day wonderful but saved us money!

I was driven from my room to our beach ceremony in the coconut grove on the hotel's golf cart. The grove was tastefully decorated with palm fronds and local flora, the reception in the open air restaurant space was at once elegant and cozy. My hubby and I spent the morning picking local flowers for the table settings and all I had to do that morning was set one up the way I wanted it and the staff arranged all the rest.

We brought a suitcase full of small decor (tealight candles and glass holders, etc.) with us because things are much cheaper in the states. (We and left everything with The Palms, hoping they get to use it again in another celebration.)

The Palms made sure we got the right sounds system for the band and DJ, and had their electrician coordinate with musicians to handle their needs. Everyone was so warm and eager to help, offering advice and going the extra mile to make things perfect.

THE FOOD

The hotel catered the wedding with a buffet of outstanding local dishes (delicious seafood callaloo was my favorite) as well as special requests (a tasty veggie pasta for my vegetarian friends). Our guests mostly ate at the hotel restaurant and liked the food (with the occasional outing to the not-to-be-missed takeout joint "Singh's" in Christiansted and the vegetarian Ital restaurant in Fredericksted). This is the kind of hotel you could never leave.

THE STAY

Our room, with a balcony overlooking the sea, was clean, bright and romantic...AND we got it for free because of a special deal: If your guests book a certain amount of nights, you get a free stay! Our guests gathered at the open-air bar each evening, met up for morning brunch, took free snorkeling lessons and even went on a little beach walk one evening to the nearby hotel for rollicking evening of karaoke.

My husband and I, who were gifted a room that was a little more out of the way so we could have private time, took walks early each morning, and felt we had the whole beach to ourselves. The decor was tasteful and delightfully Caribbean, the bathroom shower was large and lovely and there were his and hers sinks (thank you!), the cleaning staff was warm and thorough (it's not easy cleaning up after sandy people each day), and there was a coin laundry, which was helpful when it came time to re-pack for the honeymoon.

One of my favorite things is there was morning yoga on the beach on the day of our wedding. It was great to be able to focus and meditate right there where the wedding would happen hours later. The teacher was great, and there are classes a few times a week which is a nice touch.

Next time I go home to St. Croix, I might not stay with family...I might stay with my new family at The Palms!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Palms at Pelican Cove? Share your experiences!